Retro Wrangler

• HTML tutorial

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

I've been thinking about going the vintage route with my Jeep. I own JK Chief with a two tone color combination. Any thoughts or ideas with how I can outfit the Jeep to make it look retro?

Here's what I got:
IMG_1809.jpg

Here's what I like:
IMG_1886.JPG

I specifically like the front bumper, roof lights, and the side steps. Anyone out there know where I can find something similar, or a brand I can look into?

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I do love the retro look of the Chiefs. What exactly does that package all come with? I've had a hard time discerning what the differences are between all of the trims on the JKs - seems like there are a dozen variations but they mostly appear to be aesthetic differences - is that accurate?

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The bumper is a stock CJ bumper with what's probably a Smittybilt push bar bolted on. Those push bars fell out popularity back in the 90's. I don't think there's a front bumper that's like the old stock ones for JK's. YJ's and TJ's have similar bumpers but neither will fit on a JK. Maybe something like the RedRock 4x4 bumper is close enough for you. Rugged ridge still makes the classic push bars for YJ's and TJ's though.

https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_bumpers_towing_racks/front-bumpers

The light bar and step are made by Art-Carr. Art-Carr went out of business a long time ago. And again those side steps fell out of style back in the 90's. They ate up ground clearance and would rip out if you hit it against anything solid. The Art-Carr is a Rota-Bar which allowed the lights to be folded down. There's nothing really similar today but there are a few different light bar mount options. Might check here and see if there's anything you like.

I think it's kinda hard to get the retro look of a CJ with a JK. They're just very different. There's similar stuff out there now but they're a lot more modern looking.

Reactions: Jes

jcline

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Rafael, CA
Member #

Personally I dig the fat rubber on the steel wheels. Looks like there is stuff out there for ya... Opar makes a pretty basic step and I'm sure others do too. Fabbing up a mount for round lights from a light bar bracket couldn't be to hard. Maybe take a look at tube bumpers. Not exactly what you're looking for but definitely pretty retro.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Jes

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Reactions: jscusmcvet and Jes

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

Good stuff, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna dive into all the links now and check it out. Jeepnjeff- I really appreciate the detailed info regarding the CJ bumper. I would still be searching for an exact replica if not for the insight. Same with the side step.

Jcline, Hafaday- I definitely like the steel wheel look. I'm thinking that's gonna be 6th on my always shifting list.

I'll post pictures of "retro" upgrades as I find/install.

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

Also, I was watching a YouTube video of the the new LJ and really liked the roof rack on one the wranglers they were showcasing. Anyone by chance know the brand or something similar just by looking at this awful screen shot?

IMG_0723.jpg

Y'all have been a huge help with getting me started.

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

I do love the retro look of the Chiefs. What exactly does that package all come with? I've had a hard time discerning what the differences are between all of the trims on the JKs - seems like there are a dozen variations but they mostly appear to be aesthetic differences - is that accurate?
I think you're right about the aesthetics. From my understanding the Chief is the Sahara package with the addition of a few "Chief" badges/emblems and the two tone color combo (gobi, rhino, chief [hydro blue]).

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I think you're right about the aesthetics. From my understanding the Chief is the Sahara package with the addition of a few "Chief" badges/emblems and the two tone color combo (gobi, rhino, chief [hydro blue]).
You might look up, Cherokee Chief. Though I think Jeep confuses the Chief with the Wrangler Islander. https://www.jeep.com/limited-editions/2017/wrangler/chief/index.html The Cherokee Chief was a Full-Size Cherokee back in the day. Though if you stick with that theme, Chief's came with either white wagon wheels or 5-slot mag wheels. They never got the Kelsey Hayes steel wheels with the hubcaps.

No clue on the rack since none of their aftermarket partners have come out with press-releases yet. That has to be a really close partner since the JL hasn't even started mass production yet. I was reading that Dynatrac was going to get one of the first.

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

TNDeadHead- that looks awesome. Thanks for sharing. I’m digging the vintage wheels.

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

I bet one of these vintage 4x4 decals would look great on your JK Chief- https://www.pixeldecals.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=124_37
For sure! The Chief actually came with the decal. Good eye and thanks for the suggestion. I love the wacky “4 whee drive!”

2A2C9AE1-3169-4F03-BBBC-17CB7575DFD5.png

My next project is to get a roof rack installed. I just purchased the rhino backbone rack (I’ll put up pictures in a about a week). Afterward- maybe I can find a front bumper that’s close to the one made for the CJ. If not the bumper- I’m seriously considering the white wheels.

Reactions: Jimmy P and JK_pix

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

Alright, so RE: the roof rack from the JL showroom- it’s made by MOPAR. Supposedly their first removable roof rack kit designed for the 2018 JL. Heres the link:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

98293D81-CAD1-4456-9005-DD01798BC3B3.jpeg

I ended up purchasing the rhino rack mounts plus the basket for my JK:

F9CB15A5-694F-4E10-AB08-A923E9DEE0CC.jpeg

544F8AAC-93AD-4BCB-BD5E-2E933DD8FC6A.jpeg

I’m hoping it looks similar to the show room JL pic above. I received the basket (smaller size of the two options) pictured above and it looks pretty big. I’ll post pictures next week after the install.

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

Nice, Big Tex. That looks pretty cool. Speaking of Africa concept, have you seen the safari cab hardtop? Looks neat too.

DBFE3AF3-5B66-4CB9-AC05-58097C858A07.jpeg

Reactions: Big Tex

Big Tex

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKinney, Texas
Member #

I want one, but to accept delivery, you need a fork lift. Plus, $$$$$$, and you can't have rear wipers. I had a Land Rover Disco, and those windows were one of my favorite features.

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #