Resurecting a 2000 Wrangler

• HTML tutorial

Any suggestions for additional upgrades?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
After a cousin of mine, three times removed, bought a Grand Cherokee and set out across Canada I began to reminisce about my previous nomadic life and wondering how is it that I’ve settled in so deep for so long. How did I go from not being able to stay in one place to an overweight couch potato? Once I started thinking about, crying about it, a plan began to get back out there began to form.

First I’d need a vehicle. My cousin being 25 years younger, single, self-employed and independently wealthy simply had resources that I didn’t. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t trade my family and home for anything but I could feel the itch and needed to satisfy my inner gypsy. After searching Craigslist and Arms list I found a suitable vehicle in a shed in Ohio hibernating for the past two years.

Since I had limited funds the most realistic solution was barter. So I traded a Remington 700 for the 2000 TJ and then I traded yet again for the Transmission it needed to be whole and moving. That was August and a few thousand dollars ago. Since then I’ve replaced the broken track bar brace, track bar, upper/lower ball joints and the tired worn 33’s with new 35’s. Completely gone through the electrical system including addressing the infamous NoBus code in the instrument cluster. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, as this Friday I’ll take delivery of a 1 Ton Steering kit from Ruff Stuff and once it’s installed and the TJ is off the alignment rack …off I go!
20170906_085809.jpg trackbar1.jpg 20170831_112521.jpg 20171002_130225.jpg

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Great start! If you can picture what you want it to be, you'll save a TON of money and time. Personally I'd put an air locker in the rear, this would give more traction, reliability and on board air, for tires and etc. Then look at a rtt or a ground tent, then build from there, the other locker, maybe trailer, and re-evaluate your needs/wants. About once a month I have to get out for a trail ride, just to hug a tree so I don't lose any more of my mind, than I already have. Good Luck, Ron

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
I totally agree with Ron :smile: I've gone through quite a few mistakes with my jeep, and envisioning what you want/need can prevent that.

I was also one to vote for the locker. I'm biased as I can sleep on the ground and I prefer to be able to get away when I can.

Reactions: Overland USA

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
I totally agree with Ron :smile: I've gone through quite a few mistakes with my jeep, and envisioning what you want/need can prevent that.

I was also one to vote for the locker. I'm biased as I can sleep on the ground and I prefer to be able to get away when I can.
Thank you for your input. I am leaning toward the lockers but am going to have to see how and how much I drive this vehicle to decide what type of locker I put in. Honestly I was thinking about staying away from the air lockers for a locker that engages via wire/cable because of reliability issues. The other thing is this wife and kids don't want to sleep on the ground so I might end up with both.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
Great start! If you can picture what you want it to be, you'll save a TON of money and time. Personally I'd put an air locker in the rear, this would give more traction, reliability and on board air, for tires and etc. Then look at a rtt or a ground tent, then build from there, the other locker, maybe trailer, and re-evaluate your needs/wants. About once a month I have to get out for a trail ride, just to hug a tree so I don't lose any more of my mind, than I already have. Good Luck, Ron
Thank you for your input. I am leaning toward the lockers but am going to have to see how and how much I drive this vehicle to decide what type of locker I put in. Honestly I was thinking about staying away from the air lockers for a locker that engages via wire/cable because of reliability issues. The other thing is this wife and kids don't want to sleep on the ground so I might end up with both.

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Agree, I don't much care for the ARB lockers. My son installed in his 2007 wrangler, front and rear, and has had several problems with air seals on lines and on the locker itself. The rear locker was just replaced under warranty because of the internal seal, said he won't do it again. I've also had Detroit locker, too noisy and not selectable. I like e-lockers, just wires and a big magnet. Hard to fail.

Don't get me wrong, I like ARB stuff, and have one of their compressors under the hood for on board air, just want something more simple in my lockers.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I know not all air lockers perfect, but the one's I've installed haven't had any problems. I also know people that have are running OX lockers(cable actuators) and lunch box lockers, with no problems. I sleep in a tent, but I have a cot, easy on old people to get out of. As long as it's fun, then it's all good, Ron

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

As an owner of an 04 Rubicon, I am not a fan of putting a RTT on a TJ. The combination of high CG and gas mileage impact kept me from getting one until I had a trailer to mount it on.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I had a tj years ago that I started from stock with and ended up building a great trail rig out of. I was able to find the front and rear end out of a stock low mileage rubicon with the air pumps. It was the best mod I ever did, it beefed up the front and rear ends to Dana 44s with 4:10s instead of the 3:73s on the x and of course I had front and rear lockers. I ran 31s on it with a little spacer lift and it went everywhere I wanted to go and still behaved on the road. There was a lot to be gained for a little more money in that situation. The best part was everything was all stock jeep parts and reliable. I got mine from a shop that specialized in building rock rigs out of jeeps and a customer happened to be upgrading their Tj to Dana 60s. You might be able to find a set from a wreck or put the word out to the local 4x shops and do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
As an owner of an 04 Rubicon, I am not a fan of putting a RTT on a TJ. The combination of high CG and gas mileage impact kept me from getting one until I had a trailer to mount it on.
You make a great point about the high center of gravity.