Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I have heard different and opposing views / stories from various sources on what is and what is not required in different European countries when overlanding.

When you consider the EU Parliament make rules about how straight bananas have to be you would think they would look at unifying the rules for road users. Sadly this would be too obvious so each country still enforces there own local requirements.

And as many European countries have different requirements and on the spot fines can be handed out I thought I better read up to ensure I am covered where ever we go.

So I contacted the AA in the UK and they pointed me to the attached.

So for anyone out there is thinking of driving through a number of European countries this should hopefully help you avoid an on the spot fine simply because you were not aware the rules.

Attachments

Reactions: Joey83 and Steve

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I might add that in France there are special requirements for new drivers (those who have passed their test within 12 months of date of driving in France) these generally place speed restrictions on the driver. Details are also on the AA web site worth reading as they again could save you some money or lots of grief in the event of an accident. The attitude of the Gendarmes tends to be that it does not matter, just because you are english german or dutch it does not make you a better driver 6 months after taking your test than a french man.

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

yep pool our knowledge and stay out of trouble, another one that might help is children 14 and over riding mobilettes must have insurance but to get it they must have cert of competence, if you are french you do it at school with the gendarmes who issue the cert. For none french you can get one through a recognised training school, local gendarmes will have a list of approved schools/instructors this may have changed since I went through the process with my son to make him legal. This whole process was instigated by the gendarmes who felt it better to teach kids properly rather than ban the use of 50cc scooters and then let them loose on the road at 16 with out any training

Reactions: Polaris Overland

thorstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lier, Norway
Member #

Great information! I am going too do a trip down to western alps, mainly France/Italy this summer, maybe a little off topic but I wonder if anyone here has any experience when it comes to wild camping in France/Italy? I've googled it but its sort of hard to find some exact information about it. The information I have found says the rules are strict and you should avoid it, but then again I have seen people do it..

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
We did the west Alps in September last year. It was a great trip! We did not really "wild" camp. We used either paid camping, asked at the Refugio to camp in their fields, and asked a farmer to camp in their field. The only police presence we saw was customs agents on the off road pass between France and Italy. They took no interest in us.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

thorstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lier, Norway
Member #

We did the west Alps in September last year. It was a great trip! We did not really "wild" camp. We used either paid camping, asked at the Refugio to camp in their fields, and asked a farmer to camp in their field. The only police presence we saw was customs agents on the off road pass between France and Italy. They took no interest in us.

I see! What does the paid camping cost approximately?

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Ok, my two cents.

First of all, Wild camping is prohibeted on most of Europe.
But...
1. In Germany you are allowed to sleep over a night anywhere as long as it is not a camp. So no chairs, tables, or such leaving outside when asleep.
2. In France you may have a bivouac, but only deep in the forest or fields and away from the Streets. ( if you dont make too much fuzz, they probarly wont bother as long as you aint in a restricted area. We camped several times in France as a bivouac and no problems. Your results may vary)
3. In the Netherlands it is forbidden. But we have plenty of nice small campsites to compensate.
4. Poland it is forbidden, but again, if you make no fuzz, they will not as well. Again, your results may vary.
5. Spain, same as Poland and France.
6. Rumania the same

This is all I know by own experience.

If someone wants to come over to europe and gives me any detail about your situation and travel shedule, I am very willing to find out all the possibilities and information you need.
Overlanding in;
Germany is a NO GO.
Poland is ok.
The Netherlands is ok if you know the way. I will gladly show you around.
Belgium is a not much a go. Just a few areas.
Luxembourg is a NO Go
France is ok
Spain is ok
Rumania is ok

Again my own experiences.

Greetings from Robert

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
While the internet is full of advice from people who are successful in "getting away with it", I can only recommend checking with each country's tourist information bureau for camping and off-roading restrictions. This is easily found on the web. Then ask yourself, are you that kind of overlander who knowingly breaks the law, however insignificant that law may be? Why do overlanders get bad raps? Because they do stuff they shouldn't.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

That is true. Rules must be there. But without breaking the rules you can do your thing as long as you know what you can do and what not.
This is called common sence. And as long as you use that, you wont be in trouble. Plus using it when you make your preparations for a trip.

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

Open question, before this thread starts to get difficult to follow, would it not be an idea if we asked for a new region to be created titled some thing like "European Driving and Overlanding Information and Resources" we could then create threads for each country and put factually known information there with links to useful sites. As Polaris said Brussels can get regulations on how straight a banana should be and how much coco should be in chocolate for it to be called chocolate but can't get unified speed limits each country has its own set of rules and signs and rules on where you can and can't camp and what types of road you can use a motor vehicle on. It could become a valuable resource to us in Europe and those visiting our part of the world.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I agree to that. Especially as the laws and rules sometimes are made in a special mindset. Or with that mindset in mind.
Europe, even as it is connected more or less, is so different to the rest of the world. And each country has its own set of rules and its mindset.

Think this is wise.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Open question, before this thread starts to get difficult to follow, would it not be an idea if we asked for a new region to be created titled some thing like "European Driving and Overlanding Information and Resources" we could then create threads for each country and put factually known information there with links to useful sites. As Polaris said Brussels can get regulations on how straight a banana should be and how much coco should be in chocolate for it to be called chocolate but can't get unified speed limits each country has its own set of rules and signs and rules on where you can and can't camp and what types of road you can use a motor vehicle on. It could become a valuable resource to us in Europe and those visiting our part of the world.
Mike I absolutely agree.
Whilst generally all are similar in Europe I have followed many overlanders who have been caught out by small infractions resulting in fines or worse that unless you lived there you would not know about.
Even small things like not having a breathalyser in France to Dashcams being illegal in some countries.
If we have a resource here within Overlandbound then it would be silly not to utilise it and as the membership in Europe is picking up why not get everyone to participate to build a practical database we can all access and by doing so perhaps also link up on trips etc.
After all is that not the ethos of Overlandbound?
Maybe @Michael can help with regards practicability!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Mike I absolutely agree.
Whilst generally all are similar in Europe I have followed many overlanders who have been caught out by small infractions resulting in fines or worse that unless you lived there you would not know about.
Even small things like not having a breathalyser in France to Dashcams being illegal in some countries.
If we have a resource here within Overlandbound then it would be silly not to utilise it and as the membership in Europe is picking up why not get everyone to participate to build a practical database we can all access and by doing so perhaps also link up on trips etc.
After all is that not the ethos of Overlandbound?
Maybe @Michael can help with regards practicability!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Hi all! I would love to set this up! I'm going to do that right now and you guys can tell me how to adjust it OK?

M