Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm gonna be there since i'm going to be missing next month's meet-up.

Do we need to look at doing this on a different day? I know folks do a lot of travel this time of year but it seems like attendance is dropping off.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Offroadtb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I have a buddy with an xterra that is curious about off-roading, he’s stock, but wants to do something with his xterra... said he would go if we met up, just to get some ideas churnin... let me know either way brotha...

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have a buddy with an xterra that is curious about off-roading, he’s stock, but wants to do something with his xterra... said he would go if we met up, just to get some ideas churnin... let me know either way brotha...
I'm gonna be there. He's welcome to check out my rig!

AdamK1981

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey sorry I haven't been able to attend much, life got in the way. Looks like I'll be even busier (I'm in construction and we have to finish a school in time for the kids). I've been wanting to get out more even on my own. Anyone know a good place to search drive-up camping spots? Like AllTrails for hiking but for drive-up camping.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey sorry I haven't been able to attend much, life got in the way. Looks like I'll be even busier (I'm in construction and we have to finish a school in time for the kids). I've been wanting to get out more even on my own. Anyone know a good place to search drive-up camping spots? Like AllTrails for hiking but for drive-up camping.
I think Gaia and Backcountry Navigator both support that a little.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Correction from before. A friend has put up a GMRS repeater in Roanoke. It operates on Ch18 but your radio must be able to work repeaters in order to use it. It has an input offset of +5MHz and a Pl tone of 131.8.

Right now it's at his house and is kind of limited on range, but as long as you are respectful it's open for use.

He's working on upgrading the antenna eventually and finding a location to install it. This could be very handy for us in coordinating meet-ups and gatherings in the Roanoke Valley.

We will still continue to use Ch15 for simplex (radio to radio) communications on the trail to not tie up his system though when we don't need to.

I'm going to miss next month's meeting but I think we need to try to have a day for everyone to come out and get familiar with their radios and their use.

Reactions: witchdoctor_33

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Next meet-up is on the 14th but I'll be unable to attend. We need to try to get something together for August. Maybe another ride around somewhere or a mild trail.

Reactions: witchdoctor_33

witchdoctor_33

Rank VI

Influencer I

Roanoke, VA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4BDT
Is anybody interested in doing a trail ride on the 14th?

Meet up afterwards at Mission BBQ.

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reservoir, North, Newport News, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
Short notice and a bit of a long shot: I'm helping a friend move some stuff to Salem this weekend. I'll be returning home Sunday morning. Is anyone interested in meeting for breakfast, perhaps at the Starbucks near the Roanoke Mission BBQ that morning? I'm thinking 9 or 10am, but that depends on who's available and their schedule. My local friend won't have a problem with me taking off earlier. I'll be in the car/trailer shown in my avatar.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'll have to see if I can shake free here at the house. Not sure if I can swing a trip to Roanoke Sunday.

witchdoctor_33

Rank VI

Influencer I

Roanoke, VA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4BDT
Short notice and a bit of a long shot: I'm helping a friend move some stuff to Salem this weekend. I'll be returning home Sunday morning. Is anyone interested in meeting for breakfast, perhaps at the Starbucks near the Roanoke Mission BBQ that morning? I'm thinking 9 or 10am, but that depends on who's available and their schedule. My local friend won't have a problem with me taking off earlier. I'll be in the car/trailer shown in my avatar.
I should be able to meet up for coffee Sunday morning

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reservoir, North, Newport News, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
So sorry to have missed this, guys! I wound up having an unexpected hitch ball problem that distracted me with trips to Advance Auto and Lowe's. I'll have to catch you next time. Here's a short video, although it didn't touch on my problem (footage was recorded before the ball came unscrewed): https://youtu.be/opaNvHvwmQE

My problem was with a new stainless steel ball that I was using. It does not have wrench flats on the base to counter-hold the ball as the nut is tightened. I was hesitant about that, but the manufacturer/seller assured me that the lock washer would hold it in place. See the top FAQ here. The threads are ruined and I had to buy another ball, as well as a wrench to counter-hold, in Roanoke. The new ball is TIGHT! :grimacing: I'll find out if this is covered under their "lifetime warranty."