Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm planning on camping/wheeling the weekend before, since I have Monday off (Labor Day weekend). Have a gig on Saturday the 7th.
Looking to rough camp in National Forest, every campground I looked at is booked! Would rather be out in the woods anyway! (Plus don't really get excited about campgrounds with huge rv's, etc.)
Post up a location and I might be able to ride out and aggravate you a bit. Wife is working so she'll be glad to have me and the kids out of the house.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

Sorry haven't replied sooner, thanks, sounds great! Have not decided on location yet, thinking near McFalls Creek / Jennings Creek area, I normally go up the Blue Ridge Parkway & take gravel road 618. BUT am open to other locations - suggestions? Will update!

Reactions: witchdoctor_33

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Sorry haven't replied sooner, thanks, sounds great! Have not decided on location yet, thinking near McFalls Creek / Jennings Creek area, I normally go up the Blue Ridge Parkway & take gravel road 618. BUT am open to other locations - suggestions? Will update!
I don't know exactly where you're talking about but I can probably find it.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

DIRECTIONS to Steve's camping spot - Will be camping here on Saturday, August 31. Plan on arriving in the AM, set up camp & hike some fire roads (closed to vehicles). Only thing that may change is if someone else is already there, it's National Forest, so no reservations (and don't tell anyone else until after :grimacing:!)...
From Interstate 81 take exit 168 & head past the Shell station on Rt. 614 (Arcadia Road)
Stay on 614, cross over James River bridge & another bridge over Jennings Creek
Enter National Forest boundary
Stay to the right on 614, it becomes Jennings Creek Road
Take a right on 618, McFalls Creek Road - this is a gravel/dirt forest road
Watch for a sharp left that goes up the side of the mountain, Rt.635 (Yellowstone Road on Google Maps)
I will be parked at an established camping spot on the right in the red tacoma. You will pass several other roads with closed gates and one large clearcut field before you get there. This road dead ends where the AT crosses it.
Google says 8.7 miles from the Shell station to Rt.635.
There are other established camping sites near the creek, these tend to stay pretty busy on the weekends. No other camping allowed on 618. There are some other tent sites off of 635, but they are all (short) walk in from the road. If you RTT, there are several pull offs.
OTHER NOTES:
Bug repellent highly recommended!!!
Rt. 618 goes up from Mcfalls Creek & intersects the Blue Ridge Parkway just south of the Peaks of Otter Lodge.
Hope to explore some other forest roads on Sunday, Sunday night camping location to be determined.
Cell phone coverage here can be very spotty.
You will pass some local swimming holes on the way in on Jennings Creek Rd.

Let me know if you are planning on coming out! Everyone here welcome!
Will be posting up pics after trip!
Thanks, Steve

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
How long are you planning to be out there? My plans have changed for Saturday but I might be able to swing though Sunday.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

If we are really liking just hanging out at this spot, will stay through Monday morning-ish. If we find a better spot when exploring, then I should be able to update location on OBtalk app. If we move will post up!
I have camped in this area before and it has (so far) been great.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

Just to let everyone know.. we made it back home early. The dog didn't care for the hot weather camping & we didn't get a lot of sleep :disappointed:. Got up today, cooked breakfast, packed up & headed out. Took Blue Ridge Parkway North to Crabtree Falls overlook, took gravel/dirt road & meandered through the ridges down to Cave Mountain Lake. Didn't find any good campsites along the way, but it was a nice drive. Stopped for a bit & then headed to Natural Bridge & caught Rt. 11 back home. I'm REALLY looking forward to fall weather! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Glad you all had a good time Steve! I hate I didn't make it by but we were on the move all weekend.

I still haven't decided where Blondie and I are going this weekend.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Looks like we're going to head down into NC and check out Old NC 105. We're going to head out Friday morning and then make the rest up as we go.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
For those who want to get their Ham license. The Roanoke Valley Amateur Radio Club is putting on a Technician License Class in November.

Classes will be on Saturday, November 9th AND Saturday, November 16th with the test session happening on the 17th. The cost will be $35 to cover the cost of your license manual and some self study will be required.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll put you in touch with the folks to get you registered.

douglasmayer1

Rank I

Member I

Yorktown, VA, USA
First Name
douglas
Last Name
mayer
Member #

I have a stock 4x4 Jeep Liberty, I am wanting to get out and do some dispursed camping. is that road suitable for a stock 4x4?

DIRECTIONS to Steve's camping spot - Will be camping here on Saturday, August 31. Plan on arriving in the AM, set up camp & hike some fire roads (closed to vehicles). Only thing that may change is if someone else is already there, it's National Forest, so no reservations (and don't tell anyone else until after :grimacing:!)...
From Interstate 81 take exit 168 & head past the Shell station on Rt. 614 (Arcadia Road)
Stay on 614, cross over James River bridge & another bridge over Jennings Creek
Enter National Forest boundary
Stay to the right on 614, it becomes Jennings Creek Road
Take a right on 618, McFalls Creek Road - this is a gravel/dirt forest road
Watch for a sharp left that goes up the side of the mountain, Rt.635 (Yellowstone Road on Google Maps)
I will be parked at an established camping spot on the right in the red tacoma. You will pass several other roads with closed gates and one large clearcut field before you get there. This road dead ends where the AT crosses it.
Google says 8.7 miles from the Shell station to Rt.635.
There are other established camping sites near the creek, these tend to stay pretty busy on the weekends. No other camping allowed on 618. There are some other tent sites off of 635, but they are all (short) walk in from the road. If you RTT, there are several pull offs.
OTHER NOTES:
Bug repellent highly recommended!!!
Rt. 618 goes up from Mcfalls Creek & intersects the Blue Ridge Parkway just south of the Peaks of Otter Lodge.
Hope to explore some other forest roads on Sunday, Sunday night camping location to be determined.
Cell phone coverage here can be very spotty.
You will pass some local swimming holes on the way in on Jennings Creek Rd.

Let me know if you are planning on coming out! Everyone here welcome!
Will be posting up pics after trip!
Thanks, Steve

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We didn't make it back till about 5:30 yesterday evening and avoided the mess on 81 all together going through Craig on 42.

As for October, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it. I'm HOPING everything will be about sorted by then but that's the last weekend of a 3 week long outage at work and there's no way of knowing if I'll be able to make the meetup or not.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

I have a stock 4x4 Jeep Liberty, I am wanting to get out and do some dispursed camping. is that road suitable for a stock 4x4?
Sorry for the Late reply, YES stock vehicle is perfect, these are gravel/dirt roads that are used often. Have some areas of washboard near sharp turns, but nothing requiring extra clearance. During hunting season sees a lot of use. Let me know if you need any help finding these roads, be happy to meet up & send you the right direction!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Still no idea how my October will look come meet-up time. I'll know a little closer to time how it's going though.

Anyone have any suggestions for the meet-up? There haven't been many folks coming out recently and I've been tied up the last few months myself. Trying to get ready for cooler weather.

Would a different day or time work better for more people?

Any input would be appreciated. I would like for us to be able to build a good group in the area!