• HTML tutorial

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Hello all,

I'm new to the OB neighborhood and thought I'd reach out to some locals. I've been [soft]roading for the last 5+ years in my 2018 Forester (and previous vehicles), but in the last 2 years I have been yearning to push myself/vehicle further. Now I know Subarus are not true off-roaders so I have realistic expectations about what my vehicle can and can't do, but I also think Subaru's have proven to be stouter, dare I say more capable, than other COV/SUVs out on the market. (I see a lot of the heavy hitters here: Toyos, Jeeps, etc., so I'm hoping not to get catch much grief on my platform.) with that said, I've been building it up some to accommodate more difficult terrain but sadly I don' t have people in my circle of friends to shadow or ride with. This is why I joined OB this year, to try and branch out and learn more about off-roading (as much as an AWD vehicle can) and my/my vehicles capabilities. I'd love to learn more about our local areas and the trails they offer, and take part in some easy trail rides to cut my teeth and build some confidence.

Cheers all!
Welcome & there's a bunch of subies out there, I went out with a group last year and there were only 2 jeeps and my yukon 3-4 subies and 2 hondas. Just means some trails are better suited for high clearance but there's always a work around

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Sounds awesome! I haven't added lights yet. Some small upgrades like front and rear cameras for my head unit.

Prior, I had a GX 460 but went with the 100 series that had great service records. Previous owner added arb front bar, winch, and 3" lift.

I have ordered and am awaiting my White Knuckle sliders.

We should do a run sometime. @StuBarnes
where did you service your GX ? SM Lexus ?

keith.gowan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gowan
Member #

@David S - I only had my GX in Santa Monica for about a year. The routine service was done at Lexus SM. I think I had some work done @ Stokes. I can't say enough about Stokes, great folk.

However, I have since found Joy Automotive on Pico. I've been using them ever since I picked up my LandCruiser. Those guys are awesome. So, if you're looking for a recommendation, Joy Automotive is it. Stokes is a very close second.

Reactions: David S

StuBarnes

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Los angels
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Barnes
Member #

Hello all,

I'm new to the OB neighborhood and thought I'd reach out to some locals. I've been [soft]roading for the last 5+ years in my 2018 Forester (and previous vehicles), but in the last 2 years I have been yearning to push myself/vehicle further. Now I know Subarus are not true off-roaders so I have realistic expectations about what my vehicle can and can't do, but I also think Subaru's have proven to be stouter, dare I say more capable, than other COV/SUVs out on the market. (I see a lot of the heavy hitters here: Toyos, Jeeps, etc., so I'm hoping not to get catch much grief on my platform.) with that said, I've been building it up some to accommodate more difficult terrain but sadly I don' t have people in my circle of friends to shadow or ride with. This is why I joined OB this year, to try and branch out and learn more about off-roading (as much as an AWD vehicle can) and my/my vehicles capabilities. I'd love to learn more about our local areas and the trails they offer, and take part in some easy trail rides to cut my teeth and build some confidence.

Cheers all!

I’m always interested in getting out there for a run. Just say the word :)

keith.gowan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gowan
Member #

@StuBarnes if @DharmaBum wants to join us Sunday - I'm cool with that. Not sure what awaits us at Rowher flats - but if he wants to, why not? Or we can even find another trail to run. I know you didn't want to go too challenging due to your tires. I just want to get out!!!

StuBarnes

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Los angels
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Barnes
Member #

@StuBarnes if @DharmaBum wants to join us Sunday - I'm cool with that. Not sure what awaits us at Rowher flats - but if he wants to, why not? Or we can even find another trail to run. I know you didn't want to go too challenging due to your tires. I just want to get out!!!
The masochist in me says shred the tires, then I’ll have the excuse to get some at3’s the engineer in me says, you will have to change the first one then get a flat bed ride home....

So yep some easy stuff would be preferable.

Although watching a scooby tow a rover would be instagrammage gold.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Absolutely! I’m in. Don’t know much about the location, but I’m jonesing for an adventure.

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

@David S - I only had my GX in Santa Monica for about a year. The routine service was done at Lexus SM. I think I had some work done @ Stokes. I can't say enough about Stokes, great folk.

However, I have since found Joy Automotive on Pico. I've been using them ever since I picked up my LandCruiser. Those guys are awesome. So, if you're looking for a recommendation, Joy Automotive is it. Stokes is a very close second.
just curious if i ever saw the gx when you came into SM Lexus lol

keith.gowan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gowan
Member #

just curious if i ever saw the gx when you came into SM Lexus lol
Well, it was a very reliable ride, so I only think we had it in there once. 2010 GX460 Base in black - with custom scraping down the right rear door where the wife introduced it to a concrete wall in our parking garage. It probably had Nebraska plates at the time.

Reactions: David S

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Well, it was a very reliable ride, so I only think we had it in there once. 2010 GX460 Base in black - with custom scraping down the right rear door where the wife introduced it to a concrete wall in our parking garage. It probably had Nebraska plates at the time.
Nice... I'm still there everyday I'm sure ill run into around the area