• HTML tutorial

Navigator

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX
Member #

Hey Fellow Overlanders,

The next meet up for the Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) Meet Up group will be 7PM on November 27th at the Hard Eight BBQ in The Colony (Near Frisco, TX)

https://hardeightbbq.com/location/the-colony/

Please note, this is on a Tuesday unlike the last few, which were on the weekend.

I hope to see everyone there!

Last edited:
Reactions: TXFoster

Navigator

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX
Member #

Here’s a few things to consider and discuss here and during our first meet up:

Do we want to meet on weekends or during a weekday? I initially thought weekends, but it was mentioned to me in a private chat that while this might seem ideal at first, many people are just too busy on the weekends to make it.

Do we want to meet at a restaurant where we go in to eat, or do we prefer to meet in an area such as a parking lot where we talk about our rigs? For the first gathering we picked Uncle Buck’s which is a restaurant, but I just assumed we start off in the parking lot talking before going in. However, once we go in, people who run late might feel odd approaching a table of strangers.

To me, an ideal meeting place would be someone’s private land where we can setup camp, cook out, and enjoy a few beers, but getting access to someone’s private land is a bit tricky.

I actually own 65 acres in East Texas (near Henderson), which would be perfect for this but it’s a 3-hour drive away. I’m totally fine hosting gatherings there but for most people (even some Overlanders) a 3-hour drive for a meetup is too far away. Perhaps, after more discussion, we can find an acceptable time and place in the DFW area and I could still host a few overnight camp outs on my land from time-to-time, so people can get out and put their equipment to some use between overlanding trips.

Anyway, these are some things to consider between now and the first meet up.

Reactions: Twinbulls

Brian Mitchell

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Dallas, TX
Member #

I think a good start is the parking lot and progress from there to some private land (if available) on a weekend. Maybe start a poll for the best day of the week. I'm good either way.

Reactions: Nickzero

TXFoster

Rank 0

Traveler I

dfw
I think we have a good start with next Sunday. Walk before running.
I recommend calling the resturant ahead of time (early next week) to see if they have a meeting room. that can make the initial approach easier.
We can figure out future meeting as things go along.
One suggestion: if we're doing weekend meetings, why not use a place like Bridgeport OHV park?
Alternatively - I like coffee. Why not hit local coffee places (not Starbucks) and take over their parkling lot? That generally works evenings during the week and mornings on the weekend.
My job has me traveling occasionally so I never know where I'll be, so week day meetings can be a toss up on making.

My interest in this is meeting other people interested in overlanding and organizing trips. Things are cooling off and I want to visit some trails. The Ozarks arent that far away....Big Bend isn't too far away....

September 1st I'm doing an off road driving class followed by a vehicle recovery class.
Last weekend I installed a winch and I've got another project I'll start in a few weeks after I finish build a loft for my wife's class room.
So basically I'm really eager to do something beyond just hanging out in a parking lot. Talking about stuff is fun, but getting out and seeing things is even more fun. Perhaps we could setup a meeting somewhere in Arkansas in Octoboer?

Brian Mitchell

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Dallas, TX
Member #

I'm down for a good trip to Arkansas. I'm waiting on my suspension that should be shipped out in 2 weeks so October would be great.

Navigator

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX
Member #

So, Renegade, are you unable to make THIS Sunday or ALL Sundays. I don’t prefer Sunday myself but I’m just asking.

Hey TXFoster… I’m with ya and I whole heartedly agree with the sentiment of getting out there and doing some overlanding. I’m not familiar with the Bridgeport OHV park or any of the trails in the Ozarks, but I did go down and do some overlanding at Big Bend this year. Below are a few videos about Big Bend:

The first one concerns the trails and some camping:

This one is focused more on the trip planning:

I also attempted to take my whole family to Colorado to do Engineer Pass, but that was less successful! Check out the Day #3 video for that fiasco!

TXFoster

Rank 0

Traveler I

dfw
Hey TXFoster… I’m with ya and I whole heartedly agree with the sentiment of getting out there and doing some overlanding. I’m not familiar with the Bridgeport OHV park or any of the trails in the Ozarks, but I did go down and do some overlanding at Big Bend this year.
3 kids in a jeep? That sounds like the beginning of a drinking problem. Good videos.

Bridgeport OHV - won't be going this weekend. Maybe next. I'll let you know incase you want to come along and check it out. It's a pretty nice park, 200 or 300 acres to play around. Being very new to offroading it's been a good place to learn and practice. It's also very close so running out there doesnt present any challenges.

I've been researching High Watermark Trail, but don't think I'll be ready to do it until next year. However, there are lots of trails to explore through the Ozarks and Ouachita Forests. I have friends and family in the area that can help locate trail heads for us. I'll see if I can find an easy overnighter to do later in October.

Reactions: Twinbulls

Navigator

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX
Member #

3 kids in a jeep? That sounds like the beginning of a drinking problem.
That ain't NO joke! Three kids in a Jeep is pretty awful! They like the off-roading and scenery but after spending so much time in the Jeep just getting there... they were just sick of being on the road. Since I didn't get to do half the trails I wanted to, I'll probably return to the Silverton/Ouray area again this year with just my dad. That way I can do any trail I want and get some camping in as well.

The funny thing is... this makes the second trip to do Engineer Pass that failed to do so! The first trip had a land slide that closed it and on this last trip - we missed a turn. Next time, I'm going to drive straight to Lake City, where the trail head is easy to find, and do Engineer Pass first just to check it off the list!

The High Watermark Trail sounds interesting but I'll need to install a "real" diff-breather before I try to wheel that many river crossings.
As for Bridgeport OHV... yeah let me know when you plan to go and I'll see if I can make it.

CaliTex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

North Richland Hills, Texas
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Downer
Member #

We can make the 8/19 meet up at Uncle Buck's. Thanks for putting this out there. We are new to the overlanding world and want to connect to as many others as we can.

Navigator

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX
Member #

We are new to the overlanding world and want to connect to as many others as we can.
Same here! I look forward to meet as many Overlanders as possible and then, hopefully, putting some group trips together and getting OUT there.

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

I’m in!!! Been waiting for something like this. That said, I’m with Renegade that I can’t make Sunday evenings either. I’ll make an exception for this first one though. It’s very likely that we will have difficulty making a meeting time that everyone can make. So, my suggestion is to change things up. If we do monthly meet-ups then one month is Sunday evening, but the next one is on say a Tuesday evening. Also, change up the location. Grapevine is PERFECT for me, but someone living in south Fort Worth might find it challenging to get too... especially if it was during the week. Basically, change things up so if someone can’t make onetime they could maybe make the next one. Thoughts?

Joshua Stiles

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fort Worth
Member #

Hey, I'm new to the site and new to overlanding in general. I would love to meet up so e point. I'm one of the guys that live in SW Fort Worth. I have no problem driving to Grapevine for a meet but with my schedule, I really don't know what time getting off each day till I'm done. Lol I guess what I'm saying is I'm new and would like to meet up but I will only be able to make a meet and greet rarely. If I can make it I will but if not I'll try again.

Sent from my P00I using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Salvat

ntx377

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley View, TX
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Kleppe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KAR
Service Branch
USMC Veteran
Maybe a Saturday morning or evening would be better.

Navigator

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX
Member #

Ok, so it sounds like Sundays are not very popular and I agree. I only settled on Sunday for this first meet up because it was the soonest I could make it and few others were fine with that. The idea of alternating the place and time where we meet up sounds interesting. So, maybe we could alternate between meeting on a Saturday afternoon and a weekday like a Tuesday and then I alternate where we meet up? I'm also open to meeting up bi-weekly vs once a month so we could discuss that as well when we meet up face-to-face.

Reactions: ntx377