Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Hey all,

This may be a shot in the dark, and I've already found overland gear exchange but they don't have what we're looking for.

We're heading to Mexico in January of 2019 and we're looking to rent/borrow the following two items:

Garmin inReach Explorer +
MSR Guardian Purifier

Has anyone found a good resource for rentals on high ticket items like this? If we really like the units we'll probably pull the trigger and buy them. But for a 2.5 month trip we figured we'd look at potential rental options first.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions!

Eric AKA Jeepsies

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Just my 2 cents. My MSR has a permanent place in my kitchen box. I do not use it all the time cause I can often find potable water. But I always have it. I also keep a bottle of purification tablets as back up. I have seen what a bad set of unfiltered water can do so I am a little protective and was a scout so be prepared keeps it around.

I found the Garmin for 160 per month. for 3 months you are at 480 with a basic data plan, cost at REI 450. I say three because I would want to play with it for a bit before you head out. So if it is a piece of gear you would use again it is worth the purchase.

Keep in mind personally I tend to buy over rent unless I am flying into a place and gear would need to fly with me. It makes me less nervous about useing someone elses equipment etc. Though I did fly a road bike to Anchorage for a ride between there and Seward.

You may be able to find some of this from an outfitter in canoe country cause your period is out of season for them.

Reactions: Hourless Life