Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hudson
I know many of you know the area more than I do, but here is a loop we did yesterday just by searching on Gaia. It was a great trip. The camping opportunities at meadow lake and the surrounding lakes further up meadow lake road were many and hardly anyone was there. We maybe saw 3 people at meadow lake and a few more up on the jeep road parts. Dont get fooled by the legend where it shows meadow lake road past the lake as a "road" Its definitely a trail that requires high clearance. We veered off through bear valley and had my first deep stream crossing, it came up over my sliders and my tailpipe was underwater. Were turned back by snow not too far after the stream crossing. We also went off down to whitefish lake where we hit more snow. It was mounded up around 3 feet. I made it up over the worst of it, but the wife was not having any of that so we bailed and headed back out to meadow lake and on around.

The group camp spot at meadow is awesome and completely abandoned as of yesterday anyway. The camp spots around the lake were all right on the water and level enough anyway. Very pretty spot. We will be pulling the camper back for a weekend for sure.

There is still 2 foot of snow at the pct crossing but was not too bad to get through. There are a couple of spots on the decent past meadow lake that had washed out and had some deep ruts, but we saw trucks making it up (coming the other way).

The area also connects with the jeep trail that heads back to 80 so it could be a great spot for us to spend a few days running trails and camping.

We did take a little side trip down to the campground at webber lake, the mosquitos were so bad I was bitten 20 times while airing down. Oddly enough they were pretty tame most of the other places we stopped.

GPX viewer

Attachments

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I know many of you know the area more than I do, but here is a loop we did yesterday just by searching on Gaia. It was a great trip. The camping opportunities at meadow lake and the surrounding lakes further up meadow lake road were many and hardly anyone was there. We maybe saw 3 people at meadow lake and a few more up on the jeep road parts. Dont get fooled by the legend where it shows meadow lake road past the lake as a "road" Its definitely a trail that requires high clearance. We veered off through bear valley and had my first deep stream crossing, it came up over my sliders and my tailpipe was underwater. Were turned back by snow not too far after the stream crossing. We also went off down to whitefish lake where we hit more snow. It was mounded up around 3 feet. I made it up over the worst of it, but the wife was not having any of that so we bailed and headed back out to meadow lake and on around.

The group camp spot at meadow is awesome and completely abandoned as of yesterday anyway. The camp spots around the lake were all right on the water and level enough anyway. Very pretty spot. We will be pulling the camper back for a weekend for sure.

There is still 2 foot of snow at the pct crossing but was not too bad to get through. There are a couple of spots on the decent past meadow lake that had washed out and had some deep ruts, but we saw trucks making it up (coming the other way).

The area also connects with the jeep trail that heads back to 80 so it could be a great spot for us to spend a few days running trails and camping.

We did take a little side trip down to the campground at webber lake, the mosquitos were so bad I was bitten 20 times while airing down. Oddly enough they were pretty tame most of the other places we stopped.

GPX viewer
Sounded like you had a great run. Thanks for sharing. I guess it's time to add this, and the other runs we have gpx tracks on, to a reno Gaia GPX Group. [emoji41]

180out

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bishop CA.
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Motley
it was nice to run into you guys. i was hoping to go up and over that pass but the ranger said it was washed out. did you all go thru or turn around at the fossil shed?

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Hello everyone

My name is Chris. My wife and I just joined OB.

We live in Carson City and have a built up 2006 Jeep LJ.

Would like to join the Overland community
Glad you joined. Our monthly meetings are on the second wednessday of each month.

We meetup at famous Dave’s bbq.
4925 Kietzke Ln
Reno, NV 89509
United States

Starts at 6pm, but some of us get there little early to chit chat.