Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
View attachment 83455 Reno Overlanding 1-23-2019 meeting minutes

Attendees: 21 participants with 15+ Rigs represented

Intro
  • Bill opened the meeting explaining that Famous Dave’s would be our ongoing location for meetings, but the week and day may have to change depending on who has booked the private room. Bill will post a recurring Rally point for the rest of the year that will meet the same day and week of each month starting in March.
  • Thanks goes out to Mike from All Terrain Family for hosting the February meeting. This meeting will be combined with his group and only be Gaia GPS training. The location is at his office location in Midtown Reno (Reno Collective, 1515 Plumas Street). A separate Rally Point will be posted for this meeting. No food or drink is available, so you need to bring your own or eat before you come.
  • As a reward for getting questions correct that Billy Keen would ask during the Basic First Aid review, a ‘File of Life’ card and patch pouch from Outer Limit Supply would be given out. Soooo a special thank you and shout out goes to Travis @Outer Limit Supply (https://outerlimitsupply.com/) since he was gracious enough to send along enough FOL cards for everyone at the meeting.
  • File of Life card was shown and discussed.
View attachment 83457

Day Runs and Overnighter(s)
  • Mike and Bill will pre-run Sand Mountain in Feb and post a Rally Point for March. This may be an overnighter for some…it will be cold at night. At this location we will purposely be getting stuck to practice some recovery techniques.
  • Mike suggested Lovelock Cave and Tunnel Camp as a Day run or potential overnighter in late winter or Spring timeframe. More on this one to come.
  • Bob and Bill will pre-run Ichthyosaur Park for another Overnighter in spring.
  • Scott will investigate a Summer Overnighter and report back at the next meeting.
  • Reno Overlanding Code of Ethics
    • Members wrote down two of their ‘primary reminders’ of what we should know and/or do out on the trail (list to be compiled)
Basic First Aid Review – Billy Keen
View attachment 83456

• What good is having a scalpel if you don’t know how to use it? This premise set the tone for what you have in a first aid kit, how to use what you have, and how to deal with an injury.
    • Assess the scene and take control of the situation and protect yourself
      • Check Breathing, Bleeding and Shock of the injured
        • Check individual if they are lucid
        • Take action—assess injured from head to toe
        • Get someone to call for help- make eye contact and point at the person you gave instruction to
        • Check for Breathing—open airway for CPR if needed
        • Assess injury(s)—try to do this without moving person
    • Give up control to someone who has more training/skill than you
    • Do not give food or drink to injured
  • Billy reviewed several other items but strongly suggested that you should take a class to be better prepared….what good is having a scalpel if you don’t know how to use it….
Q&A, Discussion, and Adjourn
  • Communications for emergency – Cell Phone, Garmin InReach, Spot, Ham, CB were all touched on. Each with their own benefits
  • Colleen suggested that you should let someone know in a trail run group that you may have a special condition and in an event of something happening to do X,Y, and Z. For example folks who carry epi pens
  • Billy volunteered to do some in the field practice on one of the upcoming runs
  • Marc suggested that we get a sticker to attach to the window indicating that this vehicle is carrying first aid equipment
  • Bill C shared a Trip Report information sheet that one would leave with someone not on the trip (emergency contact). This information could assist search and rescue teams if, God forbid, a missing overlander scenario happened
  • Prior to officially adjourning the meeting, the new folk who showed up introduced themselves.
    • Thank you for joining our meeting, we look forward to seeing you at future meets and Runs.
  • Meeting adjourned … let’s go look at the rigs
NOTE: I have the FOL cards/patch pouches and window stickers. I will distribute them to those at the meeting. If you PM me your address, I will send them out to you or just bring then to the next meeting. Or…email me at the email address you will receive of the meeting minutes.
Can one still go on the trip if you can’t make it to the meetings?

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Can one still go on the trip if you can’t make it to the meetings?
Absolutely. It is understood that not everyone can make the meetings because of other commitments.

We try to mix in trainings with runs also. Additionally, if there is a subject that is reviewed at meeting that you want info/help on, we can try to accommodate that on a trail run. For instance..a quick review of Gaia GPS or Ham radio when we stop for lunch.

Anything is possible...within reason [emoji12]. Just let us know.

Vesteroid

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hudson
Does the 4runner have a rear locker?
no its a 2001 sport so from what I have read it has a center locker not a rear.

and I bought it.

now the modifications begin.

Going to take it to Folbek for a mechanical once over to make sure I dont need to invest in mechanical first, then will probably find a mild mid range price 2.5 lift and go to 33's.

Not sure how I am going to handle the spare at the moment, those rear bumpers are not cheap.

I dont want the spare inside because I have two labs.

Any suggestions or anyone know of used parts for sale, let me know

2001 4runner sport

Last edited:

MTNYOTA

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
First Name
Richard
Last Name
M
Member #

and I bought it.

Going to take it to Folbek for a mechanical once over to make sure I dont need to invest in mechanical first, then will probably find a mild mid range price 2.5 lift and go to 33's.

Not sure how I am going to handle the spare at the moment, those rear bumpers are not cheap.

2001 4runner sport
Awesome. Check your lower ball joints replace them with oem only everything else will fail. Lifting our 3rd gen also change your UCA better alignment and control/ and get more travel up front. As for the spare I'm working on a swing out to add to my current bumper.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

and I bought it.

2001 4runner sport
Vesteroid, I have a Gen5 4Runner SR5! I initially put a 3.0” Toytec life and 285 / 70 / R17 KO2’s with a full size spare in the underside spare storage. Got to be honest with ya, with the 3” lift and tires its only hit once or twice! I’m still going to get a rear bumper with a spare swing out but now I know it can wait for a little bit! Oh also look at Shrockworks and Pro-line for rear bumpers! Seems to me decent prices, considering they come powder coated already!

Vesteroid

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hudson
Only paid 6k for,the truck. The guy had a folder of service records going back to day one. The issue is the owner prior to him seems to have done most of his own work and there are nota lot of records. He tells me the guy replaced the timeing belt and water pump around 180k but I can’t find any evidence.

May try and pull that cover and guess how new it looks.

On the pink milkshake problem, I don’t see any records of radiator replacement but darn if the radiation doesn’t look new on top...but it says Toyota so doubting anyone replaced it with oem.

Probably going to go ahead and replace that and add a trans college to remove the Tran fluid from the radiator.

Heard about the ball joint issue guess I will go ahead and do tha with the suspension.

Hard trying to figure out what’s necessary vs nice to have at first.

MTNYOTA

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
First Name
Richard
Last Name
M
Member #

Only paid 6k for,the truck. The guy had a folder of service records going back to day one. The issue is the owner prior to him seems to have done most of his own work and there are nota lot of records. He tells me the guy replaced the timeing belt and water pump around 180k but I can’t find any evidence.

May try and pull that cover and guess how new it looks.

On the pink milkshake problem, I don’t see any records of radiator replacement but darn if the radiation doesn’t look new on top...but it says Toyota so doubting anyone replaced it with oem.

Probably going to go ahead and replace that and add a trans college to remove the Tran fluid from the radiator.

Heard about the ball joint issue guess I will go ahead and do tha with the suspension.

Hard trying to figure out what’s necessary vs nice to have at first.
I would do ball joints for sure oem only seen moog fail in a month scary. I also need to add transmission cooler to avoid the milkshake but I did swap radiator couple years back.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Reactions: Tony_Farson

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So the reoccurring rally point Meeting Thread is acting up. I will let everyone no when it is fixed. However the reoccurring Reno Overlanding meetings will be held on the second Wednesday of every month starting in March 2019. We will meet at Famous Dave's BBQ in Reno so mark your calendars.

Stay tuned for updates on the rally point.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Reactions: Tony_Farson

Tony_Farson

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

14422 Lasso Drive, Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Farson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MSQ
The reoccurring Meeting Thread in set. However it shows January and February, so as a reminder...

• The February 2019 Meeting is NOT at Famous Dave's and will be held at The Reno Collective in combination with All Terrain Family.

• From March 2019 onward we will meet at Famous Dave's in Reno on the Second Wednesday of Every Month.

If you have any questions, please reach out to me or @Sierratough
Excellent. I just did an RSVP for the GPS training at the Collective. I look forward to meeting you and the others.