2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
I have a question for those who don't get out as frequently as they want, but have built up a nice rig; do you remove items between adventures and if so what? I'm not asking about things intended to be removed I'm thinking along the lines of heavier items that aren't needed for day to day driving like:
  • Wench
  • Swap back to stock bumpers
  • Hi lifts
  • Etc...

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Removing winches and bumpers is very labor intensive and the slight change in performance isn't worth the time you'd put into swapping them. I think most people just deal with those. I know some guys only run their RTTs certain times of the year when it would be used and some guys have setups to remove them when they aren't needed. It's also a reason some guys have the adventure trailers so they can vary the kind of gear they take with them.

I daily drive my Xterra and carry the hi-lift, axe, and shovel at all times under the back seat, plus I have a basic recovery kit (straps, shackles, gloves, hi-lift rebuild, ect) and a hand saw that stay in it as well. It's not uncommon for me to just take a random route to get where I need to go, so having some basic gear is handy. Ounce of prevention and whatnot.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

While I only just installed the RTT, I actually plan to run it only certain times of the year. I don't want it exposed to snow and freezing temps, so off it comes for winter. Goes back on for first camping trip of the season.

I do carry my tools with me on trips and then return them back to the garage. Gas cans and water also go back into storage.

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Everything that's bolted down stays. Things like Hi-lift jack, other jacks, recovery gear, etc... is taken out.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Pretty much that. In fact, I built my Fuel can mount to easily unbolt from the truck bed. In reality, I need it 2-3 times a year, so, no need to have the can or bracket taking up space.

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

After every trip I used to removed front hitch winch, high lift jack, shovel, recovery bag, etc. Since I have RTT installed, all of those gear is stay in the rig as I go camping every other weekend now.

Reactions: ob4838

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
All tools and equipment stay in and on the rigs, there's too great a chance of it getting used on any given day. Only thing I remove is the pop up privy and the dutch oven table until a trip warrants them.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I suppose it depends on how much your time is worth... that seems like hours of labor and potentially missing hardware, storage, etc... removing heavy stuff like a winch means having to change spring rates, paying for an alignment, etc... personally, I tend to get rid of stuff as it gets replaced, since I will never put my truck back to stock. I leave everything on except for my camping tote. It takes me about 20-30 minutes to leave for a trip at any given time. If it was days of labor rebuilding my truck every trip I wouldn't go anywhere. I like to be able to go whenever a trip is possible and by having my rig ready to go all of the time, I go on a lot of trips. I pay the price in fuel and turning a perfectly good Tacoma into something that is useless as a pickup, but I built it solely to drive everyday and head to the mountains whenever possible. I probably need to get a beater to drive to work, and maybe that would be a good solution for your situation? Or maybe get a beater camping truck and drive the nice car to work?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have a question for those who don't get out as frequently as they want, but have built up a nice rig; do you remove items between adventures and if so what? I'm not asking about things intended to be removed I'm thinking along the lines of heavier items that aren't needed for day to day driving like:
  • Wench
  • Swap back to stock bumpers
  • Hi lifts
  • Etc...
In Norway, we have very, very strict rules, so it always necessary (by law) to remove most external (additional) gear (front, sides and rear) when on public highways (e.g. winch, high-lift jack, etc.).
Bumper are very strictly regulated - so what you have on the vehicle, must have already been approved first.

The rule here is designed to removed anything attached externally from the vehicle, that could harm someone during a potential collision / impact.

This may seem like a drag at first, but it does cut down your vehicle weight, and thereby reduce your fuel bill - so overall, is not seen as a bad option in the end.

We also kind of see it as a way to reduce our environmental footprint, which is already high with our 4X4 super jeeps, etc. - reduced fuel consumption is a step in the right direction.

If you get into a routine of storage, mounting and de-mounting of this equipment, it doesn't feel so bad.

Hope this was useful.
Cheers
Neil :)

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Same as above, if it's bolted on, it stays. Otherwise the rig is empty except for jumper cables, FA kit, one tow strap and tool bag. My wench usually goes in the house when we aren't out driving...(looks nervously over shoulder)...

Reactions: ASNOBODY

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Another advantage of having a trailer is using it as the platform for my RTT, Hi-Lift and other gear. I do keep all the basic gear I use for off-roading in the Jeep and much of that is bolted on (bumpers, skid plates, winch, recovery gear, air compressor, etc.).

Reactions: 2dub

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I unload the RTT if i dont have trips for over a month so i can park the jeep in the garage. Also about the same time i swap to a soft top so the family can enjoy some top down driving. I still keep the roof rack so it's not totally undressed for an impromptu overloading.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Just put a new bumper on with swing aways. I installed the rear backup sensors even though they go crazy with the swings. I plan to remove the arms when im not on a bunch of trips. Just so the wife can get into the back more easily, the sensors work, the spare can go back under the rig, etc.

Its removing a gas strut, pulling the main bearing bolt and one anderson connector for the license plate light. Per arm. Easy. I don't use drawer systems, just a cargo barrier and cases in the back, so those come out quickly. Roof cases are on (EO)2 mounts.. can be back to full on family truckster mode in a bout a half hour.

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Hey, you never know when you might need a quick excursion during daily driving, so my rig is packed with the same recovery gear, tools, trauma kit, welder, etc whether on a trip on going to work. The only thing I add for a trip are my spousal unit and the dog.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Same as others have said....
If it's not bolted on it stays along with recovery gear, hi-lift, first aid kit, fire ext, and get home bags for us and the dog stay. My Jeep specific tool box and cables also stay.
Spare parts like axels, drive shafts, u joints stay at home until we leave home wheeling or on an long trip .
That's why it's important to consider weight when adding mods, armour cargo etc. Or take it all with you but take lots o cash for gas[emoji90]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I just remove my 2 50L storage boxes and my little toolbox when I don't have to have them in my car as that removes alot of weight from my car

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I currently don't use my daily driver as my expo rig, but when I did power was a problem if it wasn't unloaded. If I recall correctly its about 9.4lbs / 1HP with the LX450 @ 212hp ever one of those counted. I removed everything that wasn't needed including seats (rear) and anything that wasn't bolted down was removed when used as the daily.