Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

So one of the things I’ve been wondering about doing is building a box to move in and out of my truck bed that would store all of my camping gear. When I don’t need it, I can store it in the barn at the farm; when I’m going on a trip I can use the loader and put it in the bed and strap it down on all four corners.

I’m thinking it would be about 5 feet long, 4 feet wide and 3 feet high. I would build it with compartments to hold Plano containers (or something similar) and possibly utilize aluminum truck boxes with lockable doors as part of the structure. I’m also thinking if I build it heavy enough, I could possibly build a roof rack to eventually house a small RTT.

61788F3C-DBAD-4014-ACF3-C6C62DB02EDD.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I used to do that when I was younger. Used a modified camper shell. Took it off when I didnt need it. Great for security. I was able to load my gear in ahead of time and not worry.
Side note: Is that a willy's pu in your avatar? My first 4wd was a 59. Loved that truck. Keep thinking about building that or an Overland from the same era. Like i need more toys or projects.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
So one of the things I’ve been wondering about doing is building a box to move in and out of my truck bed that would store all of my camping gear. When I don’t need it, I can store it in the barn at the farm; when I’m going on a trip I can use the loader and put it in the bed and strap it down on all four corners.

I’m thinking it would be about 5 feet long, 4 feet wide and 3 feet high. I would build it with compartments to hold Plano containers (or something similar) and possibly utilize aluminum truck boxes with lockable doors as part of the structure. I’m also thinking if I build it heavy enough, I could possibly build a roof rack to eventually house a small RTT.

View attachment 97834
If it's going to be in the back of a truck bed your only access is from the rear or top with hinged top. The best layout I have seen utilizes a narrower box (like 3' wide) so you can walk along side of it in the truck bed, and using the top for a bed to sleep on. Then you can access the bottom section from the one side open to the truck bed walking isle. Just thinking ! Is your bed only 5" long ? That's not enough to sleep in. Your idea might work well if your truck is a flat bed.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

To answer smritte, yes it was a ‘62 Willy Truck. I had huge dreams for that truck and it fell far short. I wanted to do just what you talked about and it just wasn’t in that truck anymore. Too many things wrong with it and it turned into a horrible money pit.

To answer Lanlubber, you are already thinking close to what I am. The more I’ve thought about things, I like the idea of a weather proof tool boxes on the back. The sides would likely be more open, caged like storage. Things like small propane cylinders, small air compressor/generator, might all be nice in there. Then utilize it to mount an RTT on if I build it heavy enough and incorporate a rack of some kind to mount it on.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
To answer smritte, yes it was a ‘62 Willy Truck. I had huge dreams for that truck and it fell far short. I wanted to do just what you talked about and it just wasn’t in that truck anymore. Too many things wrong with it and it turned into a horrible money pit.

To answer Lanlubber, you are already thinking close to what I am. The more I’ve thought about things, I like the idea of a weather proof tool boxes on the back. The sides would likely be more open, caged like storage. Things like small propane cylinders, small air compressor/generator, might all be nice in there. Then utilize it to mount an RTT on if I build it heavy enough and incorporate a rack of some kind to mount it on.
Amazon sells a fairly cheap truck bed rack that you could use to mount your future RTT unit. In the mean time the raised rack could serve as a tent type shelter when camping and you could build your box as tall as the rack. you could have access to the outside of the box above the bed line and access the inside the bed box below the bed line, still leaving a walk isle for things like a refer. Long tools etc..

Reactions: rking.1688

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Amazon sells a fairly cheap truck bed rack that you could use to mount your future RTT unit. In the mean time the raised rack could serve as a tent type shelter when camping and you could build your box as tall as the rack. you could have access to the outside of the box above the bed line and access the inside the bed box below the bed line, still leaving a walk isle for things like a refer. Long tools etc..
Part of the reason I was wanting to do the box was I’m not entirely sure how long I’m going to keep this truck. Two years and this one is likely gone, if not sooner. My thought was the box could easily move to the new truck. But the c-clamp racks might do just as well. Could be easily moved to the next one as well if I were to want.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Part of the reason I was wanting to do the box was I’m not entirely sure how long I’m going to keep this truck. Two years and this one is likely gone, if not sooner. My thought was the box could easily move to the new truck. But the c-clamp racks might do just as well. Could be easily moved to the next one as well if I were to want.
Even if you bolted (for safety sake) the rack on it can come off easily. Racks are very useful for every day hauling too. Best thing is they can be had for 100$ and can be sold for 100$ if need be. Keep those wheels grinding and you will find a solution, often in your dreams if you concentrate on it while trying to go to sleep.