Launch Member

Contributor I

Maize, KS, USA
First Name
Collin
Last Name
McGinnis
Member #

For those of you with roof racks, and/or RTTs on your Jeep JKU, this mod is probably something you’ll need to consider. I know that after I installed my RTT, my XM radio reception was crap. I tried one of those brackets that mounts it right in front of the passenger sun visor, but the reception was spotty (I assume because it mounts the antenna upside down). The radio would lose the satellite signal about 25% of the time (especially when I was driving east or south). I decided to try and figure out a better solution, and I had hoped there would be something that would be free, or fairly cheap. After some deliberation and looking around, I was able to relocate my XM antenna to the area up by the upper front right-hand side of the windshield, behind the plastic roll bar cover in the corner. To pull that particular plastic piece down, you need to remove your sun visor (T-20 bit), and then you’ll need to remove the plastic rivet that holds it to the A pillar (using a small philips screwdriver, and needle nose pliers). After that, the corner plastic piece just basically just pulls off with a downward tug by the roll bar. I took some pictures to give you an idea of where to mount it, and what to remove. I’ve also seen videos on YouTube that show how to do it as well.

I need to mention that in order to move your antenna, you will need to remove your hard top - or at least remove all the mounting bolts and prop/tilt the front section up about a foot or so to get to the antenna. I tilted mine and put a 12” piece of 2x8 under the front lip to hold it while I accessed the XM antenna. Once you get the hard top out of the way, unzip the right-hand portion of the roll bar pad located on the right side of the speaker bar to expose the metal corner roll bar bracket that holds the XM antenna. Use a 13mm socket and remove the roll bar bracket, then remove the 10mm bolt that holds the antenna clamp, and squeeze the 3 tabs and push it through the hole. You will have to also disconnect the antenna cable so you can feed it through the hole and remove the antenna from the bracket. I removed the screws on the right-hand side of the speaker bar, and loosened the left have side to allow the right-hand side of the speaker bar to lower slightly to gain access to the XM antenna connector. Not 100% sure if you will need to do that, but I did. Reinstall the bracket and zip up the padding, and then you can reinstall the hard top. Once you get the antenna removed, you will need to also remove the trim on the right-hand side of the passenger area (the floor/threshold trim and the B pillar) to access the antenna wire. . Once you get all of the B pillar and floor/threshold trim off, just follow the XM antenna wire where it’s routed, and remove the clips and the tape holding the antenna wire clips and gather the wire to move it to the front area. I also removed the glove box, and the right-hand side dash trim, and fed the wire up behind the A pillar plastic trim to the area up by where the upper plastic roll bar cover piece goes. Once you get the wire re-routed, re-install all the floor/threshold and B pillar trim. I then used some gorilla tape and taped the XM antenna in the cavity located in the roll bar cover piece (see pictures). Reconnect the antenna wire, and re-install the roll bar trim piece and the sun visor and you’re all set. Let me know if you have any questions – I’d be more than glad to help.

Attachments

Last edited:

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Thats exactly what I did and it worked well for a while, but for some reason, its gotten spotty again a year later. Could be a shitty antennae? It is part of the ubershitty uConnect grabage. I am going to try mounting it in the vent panel where the windshield wiper arms come out. It will be bolted through the vents in the center.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I took a look at mine and sorted this out:

I had moved mine similar to where you have yours, but did not trim anything. It slipped into the void in the forward most part of the channel and reception went to crap.

I did not move the incoming satellite wire from the head unit. This was just a time saver. It comes out in the spot to the left of the channel, so I didnt feel the need to move it in this application.

What I did do was trim a few of the vertical stabilizing fins of the plastic trim to the antennae would sit further down, but have no excess metal from the A pillar around it, which would reduce the potential incoming signal. Now it sits low enough in the pocket it wont move, be interfered with or cause a sealing problem with the freedom panel.

20200105_153649.jpg20200105_153645.jpg20200105_154442.jpg

Reactions: b1bjetmech

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

I purchased a cheap satellite antenna on Amazon and mounted this to the very top of the roof top tent. Let’s just say the reception was less than desirable. I ended up returning that antenna and purchasing a Tram 7754 antenna for a semi truck. Due to the pandemic, there are no Front Runner antenna mounts available (anywhere!), so I purchased a universal mount and drilled holes to accept the Tram pole mount that came attached to the antenna. I did not want to drill into the rack itself.

I installed this the night before leaving for the White Mountains in New Hampshire, and if you’ve driven through some of the valleys there, reception is always challenging. The Tram antenna performed better than I hoped, better than factory!

Still need to run the cable into the Jeep with a waterproof cable clam, for now it just runs through the rear window. Not happy with that solution, but it will do temporarily.

I’d recommenced the Tram 7754 to anyone that is in this situation. Especially if you have to install an antenna above a roof top tent or gear that is loaded on your roof.

Attachments

Reactions: MazeVX