Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hey Everyone,
My wife and I are both from New Hampshire, but we have been living down here in Austin for the last 7 years. We are thinking about relocating back up to the Northeast. We've considered the Portland area or Dover are. Any tips about the Portland area, as far as cost of housing (we will rent for a year or so until we can decide where we want to buy)? Are there other areas should consider? My wife wants to be near the ocean. I don't care where we are as long as I can spend time outside.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I just relocated back to New England from out west, so it's been quite an adventure. I also grew up here so it was familiar, but I had been away for a decade. I am sure other members will pipe up about those locations, but I really like both of those areas of NH. I've spent a bit of time in Portland and really like it up there. It's near the ocean and reasonably priced, with a lot of folks working at the naval base. It's a quaint NH coastal town, which I found has less seasonal crowds than some of the other areas along the coast. I like places like Rye, but it's just too busy for me in the summer. Some folks like Hampton Beach and that area, but I don't like it because it's too crowded in summer. There are some nice towns in NH near the MA border, but it's become expensive because people commute to Boston. Having no taxes is great, but property tax in NH is extremely high. I know a couple people who have lived in Portland/Kittery, ME area for most of their lives and would be happy to get their email if you have specific questions. Also my real estate agent deals with all of the NH coast as well. Best of luck and I will say it's nice being back in New England. I goto NH a lot, but primarily the Mason area.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Marco Correia

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey Everyone,
My wife and I are both from New Hampshire, but we have been living down here in Austin for the last 7 years. We are thinking about relocating back up to the Northeast. We've considered the Portland area or Dover are. Any tips about the Portland area, as far as cost of housing (we will rent for a year or so until we can decide where we want to buy)? Are there other areas should consider? My wife wants to be near the ocean. I don't care where we are as long as I can spend time outside.
I just joined the forum. I live in CT so southern NE and I travel to NH a couple times a year to meet up with a group called ExploringNH.org
they are a local forum that is well organized and does a couple overland trips a year. Good bunch of people. I have introduced myself to FinlayforPrez since he is local to me somewhat. I know this is off topic from your post but figured that finlay gave you a good intro. Good luck with moving and hopefully we can get a group going soon in the springtime. Lots of good roads in NE for travel and trails.

Reactions: finlayforprez