Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Shanks
Member #

Hello all. I am planning on regearing my rig and I can't seem to decide on E-locker or Auto locker. I do use my Taco for some daily driving but not a lot, and when I do is mostly open highway. If anyone has regeared before, can you please let me know which option is best? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Raw Xpedition

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I 'm running Detroit lockers front and rear, but I do a lot of off road travel. But I'm old and like less moving parts. I've installed several different traction devices, If I had to do it again I'd install a selectable locker. Weather it be electric or air locker, it would drive better than a Detroit. Unlocked, you won't know the selectable are there. The Detroit has a lot of quirks, but you can't knock the performance. I have installed E-lockers, I haven't had any negative feedback. Air lockers have an added advantage, on board air. I'm not affiliated with any company. I have friends that are running zip-lockers and ARB lockers, in all combinations. All are happy with the performance, I installed ARB's in my son's TJ. Which see minimal off road travel time, for now anyway. Gear ratios are a different topic. If I can help, please ask, Ron

David Shanks

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Shanks
Member #

I 'm running Detroit lockers front and rear, but I do a lot of off road travel. But I'm old and like less moving parts. I've installed several different traction devices, If I had to do it again I'd install a selectable locker. Weather it be electric or air locker, it would drive better than a Detroit. Unlocked, you won't know the selectable are there. The Detroit has a lot of quirks, but you can't knock the performance. I have installed E-lockers, I haven't had any negative feedback. Air lockers have an added advantage, on board air. I'm not affiliated with any company. I have friends that are running zip-lockers and ARB lockers, in all combinations. All are happy with the performance, I installed ARB's in my son's TJ. Which see minimal off road travel time, for now anyway. Gear ratios are a different topic. If I can help, please ask, Ron

Thanks Ron. That was helpful.
Have both. Love the e-Locker. Very sociable.

Thanks. My mechanic recommends the Air locker. I am gonna go with that.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Another point, nothing against the zip locker. But the ABR air locker is rebuildable, at least internal parts are available, Ron

OLDgrey85

Rank 0

Traveler I

When i bought my 4runner it had a spool in the rear and i hated it. I upgraded to an ARB in the rear and its a new rig. Selectable is the only way to go. I have a detroit up front with manual hugs. Just go selectable you will be much happier.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Maybe try to find a used Toyota rearend with a elocker? They're out there and reliable. I rarely use my locker and am impressed with the atrac synthetic? Limited slip system in my Tacoma. Maybe a limited slip would be another option? Depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of wheeling you're doing. If you're regearing you must be putting some serious meats under your truck and spending some dough, if so arb is reliable and you'll have a compressor which is nice too,and if you're gonna do that, might as well do the front while it's tore apart!

David Shanks

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Shanks
Member #

Thanks for the comments. I used the local 4WheelParts shop and it just so happened that my rig has a LSD and a 4.56 rear differential. However, I did beef u my suspension with a ProComp 6" lift with stronger ProComp coil over 2.0 shocks. The rig rides so much better.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have always been a fan of TrueTrac limited slip. Selectable lockers have too many exposed bits, that can fail just when you need them most (wiring, airline, etc...). Detroit lockers, are great, but can be a problem in the snow. I think your OEM traction control can be greatly improved by adding Front and Rear TrueTrac Limited Slips. The combinations solves a lot of problems, each have on their own.

Bronco Driver

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have to second Jeff's comments on the tru trac. Personally I am installing a ARB Airlocker for the rear. Locked rear end are great in the dirt but suck on the street. Detroit lockers I consider dangerous in a short wheel base vehicle unless you know how to drive with them. They are clunky on the street at best. Being able to unlock the rear is a great advantage. Some of the selectable E lockers are limited slip when unlocked and they are fine.

Tru tracks are a great compromise all around. They are great in the front as you don't feel them and they don't fight you when you want to turn like a locker will do. There is a place for lockers and spools but for the most part they really don't belong on a street driven vehicle that sees some off road use. I have used the tru tracs for years and really like them. I will be using a tru trac for the front.

Reactions: Jeff Graham