Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Stieren
Member #

We just got back from a short weekend trip to Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge in Daniel Boone State Park, Kentucky. Place is EPIC. Had something for literally everybody. Hiking. Biking. Paddling. Climbing. And wheeling. Stayed at Callie’s Campground which is geared for those of us who are inclined to use our engines to do the moving. Place was a 4 wheelers dream. Can’t rave enough. Worth the drive from wherever you may be coming from.IMG_2035.JPGIMG_2037.JPGIMG_2040.JPGIMG_2043.JPG

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Plan on heading to Red River Gorge area in july for a weekend between big trips was hoping to take my wife on this little trip in july. She didn't like our little side trips in CO the drop offs scared the crap out of her. We have hiked in Red River Gorge may time I know the area has some good drops on hikes how is the off roading trails are there many drop offs on route. I would really like to take her but she would be miserable if there are lots of blind turns and drop offs Thanks for any Info

SubZeroToy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Stieren
Member #

Plan on heading to Red River Gorge area in july for a weekend between big trips was hoping to take my wife on this little trip in july. She didn't like our little side trips in CO the drop offs scared the crap out of her. We have hiked in Red River Gorge may time I know the area has some good drops on hikes how is the off roading trails are there many drop offs on route. I would really like to take her but she would be miserable if there are lots of blind turns and drop offs Thanks for any Info
The trials at Callie’s are mostly skills courses. But the terrain isn’t elevated much at all, unless you go out seeking them. There’s one trail that has a 20%+ gradient. You can skip it all together, but it is a fun white-knuckler. If you go out on the non-private tails, you’re going to seem some steep drops. As far as hiking goes, there’s something for everyone. Just check the topo maps first. Even some of the short day trips have some places that can get dicey if you don’t like heights.

SubZeroToy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Stieren
Member #

The trials at Callie’s are mostly skills courses. But the terrain isn’t elevated much at all, unless you go out seeking them. There’s one trail that has a 20%+ gradient. You can skip it all together, but it is a fun white-knuckler. If you go out on the non-private tails, you’re going to seem some steep drops. As far as hiking goes, there’s something for everyone. Just check the topo maps first. Even some of the short day trips have some places that can get dicey if you don’t like heights.
Trails*

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
Did you check out the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway (DBBB)? It' a 90 mile loop of pavement, gravel and trails of various difficulty. It runs through the Daniel Boone National forest, and the informal starting point is Slade, KY. The "trails" are actually dedicated county roads that have not really been maintained for decades, so you technically need to be in a street legal vehicle to use them. Spent many weekends down there. Definitely a favorite.

Reactions: J.W. and SubZeroToy

donkability

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ohio
Thinking about heading down here later in the summer/fall as I am only a few hours away, plenty of dispersed camping out around the byway? was thinking about doing the loop from slade and messing around there and north on way back. I have never been to boone is it like every other national forest? Not really looking to be around a bunch of people any other recommendations for dispersed camping?

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
Thinking about heading down here later in the summer/fall as I am only a few hours away, plenty of dispersed camping out around the byway? was thinking about doing the loop from slade and messing around there and north on way back. I have never been to boone is it like every other national forest? Not really looking to be around a bunch of people any other recommendations for dispersed camping?
Well, the dispersed camping is not like out West. There are plenty of spots, but the ones close to the roads fill up quick. And late summer/fall tend to be busier, just due to the better weather. I don't mean to sound discouraging, just realistic. The scenery is top notch, and my time there has always been time well spent, but it's a popular place. There will be peeps in the area, but you may or may not encounter groups when you visit.