Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tollhouse, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Van Sciver
Member #

We have an overlanding rig that is on the large side and like to use it for extended trips. We like to go to Baja, Sierras, deserts, CA, AZ, UT, CO, NM, etc...and are not afraid to do challenging trails. Unfortunately many of the trails in the Sierras are very tight for a rig H 10.5' x W 8' x L 24'. Are there any other OB members that have rigs on the large side and recommendations for good trails/destinations to explore that don't require continuous tree/brush trimming. We always end up doing some, but mile-after-mile can get old after a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

We have an overlanding rig that is on the large side and like to use it for extended trips. We like to go to Baja, Sierras, deserts, CA, AZ, UT, CO, NM, etc...and are not afraid to do challenging trails. Unfortunately many of the trails in the Sierras are very tight for a rig H 10.5' x W 8' x L 24'. Are there any other OB members that have rigs on the large side and recommendations for good trails/destinations to explore that don't require continuous tree/brush trimming. We always end up doing some, but mile-after-mile can get old after a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason
Not a whole lot of responses here. I'm in the same situation I found a few cool places I drive a Ford Raptor rather big. So far I've only taken it to few desert spots in Mojave local Azusa Canyon which really isn't very great another guy on here mentioned trans American trail. Hope to see more suggestions. 20180429_063705_1525052557842_001.jpeg

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
If you've never driven to the north rim of the grand canyon, totally worth it. I'm not talking to the visitor center, but the dirt roads where you can park on the actual rim and camp. "Roads" are a lot of 2 track and washboarded to hell. easy and really worth it.

animaloverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Van Sciver
Member #

Yes...I agree the North Rim GC is a great place to explore. We did a trip there after the Overland Expo West last year and camped at Point Sublime (photo) and Fire Point. It has trails for any rig and any experience level. The views are spectacular and the crowds are non-existent...at least in May when we were there. It is a great alternative to the craziness at the South rim.
Jason81E3A2A1-81B9-4F7C-9C62-93A7A69A6B31.jpeglas

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood

animaloverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Van Sciver
Member #

We took the ER up to Bald Mountain in the Sierras for an overnight. The trail is easy and the views are spectacular! The southern entrance from Dinkey Creek is a little tight for our rig (two off camber tree pinches), but the northern entrance is an easy short drive to this great spot. I attached some pics of our camp and views. We can recommend this spot for larger rigs in search of a great place to camp.

Attachments

animaloverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Van Sciver
Member #

We just returned from exploring the El Camino Del Diablo trail with some friends that runs 160 miles from Yuma to Ajo Arizona. This trail runs through some of the most remote and arid regions of the Sonoran Desert in Arizona. The trail isn’t technical but it was nice to run it with three of our Roamer friends in case there were any vehicle issues. We didn’t have any vehicle issues beyond a blown seal in a steering damper on one rig that was no problem. The wild camps were great, the views spectacular, the wildflowers were amazing even in February! We can definitely recommend this trip to anyone with a solid 4WD, good tires and some friends you like to hang out with! We spent four days at a leisurely pace to allow time for side trails, hiking, photography and of course campfires, beer and BBQ. Make sure to leave time to explore Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument on one end of your trip...it’s amazing! Make sure to plan ahead and get your permits for entering this area. The rangers and border patrol want to make sure you understand the dangers of this remote military and border region with Mexico. We were asked for our permits at least 3 times during the trip.

Attachments