Recommendations for car camping month long road trip to Alaska.

• HTML tutorial

Miller's ModSquad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Au Gres, Michigan
Member #

We are looking for a vehicle to make a platform to sleep in while traveling. Decent gas mileage would be a plus. I do not want a car top tent at this time. This will be for a single female traveling so security is a factor.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Sounds like a solid van, chevrolet express... Something in this range.

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

You could do any full size SUV with privacy curtains and a wooden sleeping platform (storage underneath, air or foam mattress on top). That'll be plenty space to live and store gear, spare parts, tools, etc. Mileage will probably be 12-15 MPG. You can get a bit better by going smaller, but the livable space will greatly be reduced.

I'd honestly look for a Toyota Land Cruiser, Ford Bronco, Chevy Tahoe or Suburban, etc. Something in the 90's would be the sweet spot for starting price, ease and cost of repairs, and capability. You could buy a reliable Ford Bronco for less than $5k and do a full maintenance check/repair for less than $1,500 more.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
An important question is your comfort level with large vehicles vs mid sized vehicles. You can car camp in anything from a Wrangler to a F350 Econolinervan...

My first thought is a Subaru Outback.

Reactions: RoadTrip1
B

BBC_lover

Any vehicle is capable of making the drive to Alaska. You don’t need a 4×4 or anything crazy, we’ve seen motorcycles, full-size RVs, trucks with a 5th wheel camper, and even our basic grocery getting minivan. If those giant RVs pulling cars can make it on the roads, so can your car. Our 11-year-old DIY campervan made the drive to Alaska without issue. It’s a good idea to make sure your vehicle is in good mechanical order because from anywhere in the lower 48 of the U.S. a drive to Alaska is at least 48 hours of drive time.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Miller's ModSquad

thanks all for input- Not wanting to go big, does anyone have experience with a toyota 4 runner?
If you are less than ~5'10" you can sleep comfortable in the back with the 2nd row seats folded down. At 6" I could sleep back there if I was on an angle. No problem sleeping 2 adults in the 4th gen 4Runner with a home built platform. Look up the drawer plans from @TheAdventureIndex ( https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/free-camping-overland-drawer-plans-4runner.11881/ ) for an idea on how to sleep comfortable in a 4Runner. Lots of other options.

I don't see why the commander in your pic would not work. A friend just finished a week long trip from CO to CA and back in her Jeep Trailhawk. She just folds down the 60% seat, moves her stuff to one side, inflates her air mattress and sleeps.

A Tacoma or Frontier or other mid-size pickup with a shell on the back and plywood deck will got the job done comfortably as well. A Subaru wagon, Rav4, or CRV would be doable and better gas mileage.

Not related to your sleep situation I'd recommend that you grab the latest MilePost (http://www.themilepost.com/) for help in planning your trip.

Boort

Last edited:

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
We are looking for a vehicle to make a platform to sleep in while traveling. Decent gas mileage would be a plus. I do not want a car top tent at this time. This will be for a single female traveling so security is a factor.
As an Alaskan, my first question is when (season, not specific dates) do you plan this trip? The Jeep in your profile pic is more than capable. As the other Alaskans stated above, almost anything will make the trip. I saw a guy ride a moped up in the late 80's.

If you want the best mileage, get a Subaru and put a roof rack and cargo box up top. Put vent visors on it so you can crack the windows for ventilation while you sleep and not get rain or snow blown in. Lay the back seats down and use a sleeping pad and bag. For the windows, either dark tint the back or hang some newspapers or towels over the windows for privacy. I have a shower tent that's 3'x3'. Get one of the cheaper ones around $45 and use that to change in.

Carry at least 10 gallons extra gas in cans (last I checked, ALCAN fuel prices were about $6/gallon for unleaded). Also at least 2 spare tires. They don't both need to be mounted as any roadside shop can mount and balance, but sometimes getting the right size tire can be both expensive and time consuming in the sticks.

Also a second form of communication. I assume you have a cell phone. Many places they don't have a signal on the drive up and around our state. I have a CB radio as most truckers still use these. I also have a VHF ham radio as I'm licensed, but that's hit or miss as it does require a license. I also have a Garmin InReach. It connects to an app on my phone and uses the Iridium sat phone system to send position updates to their website and you can send and receive text messages. Works as long as it can see the sky. I leave it on my dash and it's worked for years.

Any other questions, let me know. Hope you have a safe trip.

Reactions: Boort

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
If a Subaru is something you're considering please feel free to check out the registry on here to give you an idea what we're doing with ours..

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/subaru-owners-registry.3450/

I can tell you that my gas mileage is great compared to anything else with this kind of clearance and when it strikes me I've slept in it issue free. I'm 6'01" and all I have to do is put down one of the rear seats. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Next July I'm heading to Tuktoyaktuk in a Subaru Outback. I've slept in the back and it's fine, but I'm only 5'-9". I got a CVT RTT for use for my travels and on the trip for comfort. I'll be gone for at least 30 days. My build is linked in my signature.

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
Next July I'm heading to Tuktoyaktuk in a Subaru Outback. I've slept in the back and it's fine, but I'm only 5'-9". I got a CVT RTT for use for my travels and on the trip for comfort. I'll be gone for at least 30 days. My build is linked in my signature.
Just out of curiosity, how are you driving to there in the summer? I had to look at a map to see where it was located.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Just out of curiosity, how are you driving to there in the summer? I had to look at a map to see where it was located.
There is a new summer road that just opened this year. There are a few people who have made this trip. One family that has documented this is Lifestyle Overland. I was planning on doing it this last summer but a move from SoCal to Vancouver Made me postpone for a year.

Reactions: John Lime III

ob4838

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah
Member #

thanks all for input- Not wanting to go big, does anyone have experience with a toyota 4 runner?
The t4r is a great platform for just you there is room to sleep and store gear, for one or two people. Food and needs can be purchased along the way to keep living space accessible. 3rd and 4th gen v6 is your best mpg options and price point. Good luck this might be to late information