Recommendations For Breathable Rain Jacket For Hiking?

• HTML tutorial

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Here on the wet side of the PNW, it rains an awful bloody lot. I've had a lot of weatherproof/waterproof jackets over the years which have served me well for normal wear and activity, but I've never had anything that's great for hiking. All the features that keep the rain out, also tend to keep perspiration in. The jackets I've seen online that are designed for hiking all seem to be rather expensive. Oftentimes, when looking for functional but inexpensive, my first go-to is military surplus. But we didn't have anything when I was in that would fit the bill.

What I'm looking for is:
  • Something that's not going to break the bank.
  • Comfortable in warmer rainy weather. Breathable, perhaps with pit zips or something to help vent body heat.
  • Not strictly necessary, but packable into a small-ish backpack would be a nice bonus.
What are your ideas or recommendations?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Quicksilver

I had similar questions before my PNW trip last year. I ended up going with the Columbia Watertight jacket (~$50 on sale locally) and some no name rain pants (~$25). Also picked up a pair of quick dry zip off pants ($35) for splashing in the surf and streams. This setup worked well and kept me comfortable in the rain, wind, fog and night hikes we took.

Here is the thread for more details:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/recommendations-for-rain-gear.7911/

Boort

Reactions: Quicksilver

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here on the wet side of the PNW, it rains an awful bloody lot. I've had a lot of weatherproof/waterproof jackets over the years which have served me well for normal wear and activity, but I've never had anything that's great for hiking. All the features that keep the rain out, also tend to keep perspiration in. The jackets I've seen online that are designed for hiking all seem to be rather expensive. Oftentimes, when looking for functional but inexpensive, my first go-to is military surplus. But we didn't have anything when I was in that would fit the bill.

What I'm looking for is:
  • Comfortable in warmer rainy weather. Breathable, perhaps with pit zips or something to help vent body heat.
  • Not strictly necessary, but packable into a small-ish backpack would be a nice bonus.
Haven't used it a lot yet, but like it so far: Frogg Toggs All Sport Rain Suit - super light weight, breathable, tall collar, removable hood, though does not have pit zips. Not as keen on the pants as I am the jacket. Check out the reviews there for questions on durability, breathability, etc. I wanted something I could roll up small and stuff into a side bag or back pack when I go biking, then throw on over quick over whatever cold weather wear I might have on if it started raining or sleeting, etc. Been good so far.

Here's a whole mess of other Frogg Togg wear. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong.

jazzworth

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Corrales, NM
Member #

What I'm looking for is:
I use a Marmot Precip for everything. Multi day backcountry backpacking (it's light and packable), overseas, around town, overlanding, you name it. Breathable, pit zips, durable, and inexpensive. Less $70 on sale.
Just my $.02.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Waterproof and breathable is going to be a compromise. High or low price regardless of what is said, you spend time in waterproof clothes you are going to sweat more than the breathability can keep up with. This is why a hydrophobic base layer instead of cotton is important.

For the money, check out the military surplus ecwcs goretex Shell. It’s far better made than commercial products you’ll find in the same price range but it will be used.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
You have to be careful with jackets that just have a “DWR” or durable water repellant. Nylon or other fabrics are not hydrophobic or “wicking” and the application of DWR makes it worse. You sweat more than you think and the jacket quickly becomes wet, cold, and clammy inside. Also, DWRs just don’t last that long and need to be reapplied at least annually with constant use, even with goretex jackets.

There are alternates to gore Tex as gore is simply a brand, unfortunately the marketing of fabrics makes it hard to understand if their product is just DWR or if it’s a multilayer membrane.

I’d recommend sticking with a goretex based product, pro series if you can afford or find it used.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

For the money, check out the military surplus ecwcs goretex Shell. It’s far better made than commercial products you’ll find in the same price range but it will be used.
I have one. It's fantastic for normal wear, or hiking in cooler weather. Too warm though for hiking in warmer weather like we're having now.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

You have to be careful with jackets that just have a “DWR” or durable water repellant. Nylon or other fabrics are not hydrophobic or “wicking” and the application of DWR makes it worse. You sweat more than you think and the jacket quickly becomes wet, cold, and clammy inside. Also, DWRs just don’t last that long and need to be reapplied at least annually with constant use, even with goretex jackets.

There are alternates to gore Tex as gore is simply a brand, unfortunately the marketing of fabrics makes it hard to understand if their product is just DWR or if it’s a multilayer membrane.

I’d recommend sticking with a goretex based product, pro series if you can afford or find it used.
Good to know, thanks. I've seen a lot of jackets described as having DWR, but didn't know what it was.

Reactions: Cort and jazzworth

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I use a Marmot Precip for everything. Multi day backcountry backpacking (it's light and packable), overseas, around town, overlanding, you name it. Breathable, pit zips, durable, and inexpensive. Less $70 on sale.
Just my $.02.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app
I gave these another look, and I'm liking it a lot. It's more than I want to spend, but it does have all the features I want. And it's a lot less expensive than it's competitors with similar features. The more I look around, the more I realize that what I want probably isn't going to be inexpensive.

Reactions: jazzworth

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Good to know, thanks. I've seen a lot of jackets described as having DWR, but didn't know what it was.
Most "membrane" jackets still have a DWR coating to encourage water to bead off. Also, the membrane is bonded to the outer layer so the nylon layer is there no matter what...
Better jackets just use better outer layers, as well as better membranes and DWR coatings of course.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk