Recommend me a Bathroom Tent

• HTML tutorial

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Overland friends, I am looking to buy a test for the throne, Amazon seems to say that the cheapest one is the best. It has no poles and it basically assembles in less than a minute.

REI on the other hand seems to say that the ones with poles are better, people use them as shower room too.

I read reviews on amazon stating that the poles one breaks easily. I was wondering what is everyone using or what you recommend.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I've been using the Browning privacy tent for a few years now.

Gale force winds destroyed the cross-member fibreglass poles.... we replaced them and the rain fly (pole sliced through it when it broke).
We now put it in a spot where there's a bit of relief from the wind.
The upright poles are steel... aluminum would be nicer... but ohwell.

Other than the above incident we've been pretty happy with it.

It has the ability to add multiple guy wires and it handled a fair bit of wind.... I'm pretty demanding of my stuff so I'll give it a solid 8 / 10.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning-reg-Shower-and-Privy-Shelter/1588918.uts
canvas.png

Reactions: Off-Camber

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

@Winterpeg that one looks nince, how long did it took you to get the cross-member fiberglass poles? are those generic or Browning?

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

We went directly to Browning and ordered them... the poles and the rain fly.
It didn't seem to take too long to get them.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Look on Amazon for the portable shower tent. We bought one with metal poles and have owned it for about 10 years now. It is strong enough to hold one of those portable solar showers. It looks like the Stinky Pete model, but it is actually a TexSport.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Not a stand alone tent, but I love this set up.

I have the soft cover, and use it with the road shower 4. Love the combination.
I love the idea of this one mounted to the truck's roofrack. We have the Kelty we purchased from REI. Nice, sturdy, but way too cumbersome to set up. It is as heavy as a full-size cabin tent and not terribly convenient. I hate the idea of putting it up and taking it down every day if we are going from place to place while overlanding. I have heard that the window-shade type that fold onto themselves with a twist are a nightmare if you can get them folded correctly.

Traveler I

Earth
Same as ArkansasDon’s. It’s a bit heavy but works well. Plenty of room and pretty stout. Great deal for the price. Got mine online at Walmart’s.

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

I bought the Green Elephant instant pop up tent. It sets up and tears down very quickly. It is light weight and folds into a disk for storage. Its was pretty good for us on the outer banks, high winds and it stood up find with pegs and sand bags (both of which are included).

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Same as @Winterpeg The size and height are great.
Also have a fast twist fold style for quick roadside jobs. Every twist fold I have been in, is small...very small. But they work when ya need immediate privacy, just don't leave then unattended, they are awesome kites!!

Reactions: Arepas

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Same as @Winterpeg The size and height are great.
Also have a fast twist fold style for quick roadside jobs. Every twist fold I have been in, is small...very small. But they work when ya need immediate privacy, just don't leave then unattended, they are awesome kites!!
Have you had any issues with the Browning privacy tent?

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Have you had any issues with the Browning privacy tent?
NONE. I've went through a few others, and this is my current go-to. If anything happens to it, it will be replaced with the same thing.

Reactions: Arepas

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

I have a unit from Cabelas that we got years ago that is super sturdy. It is great for a base camp, but I wouldn't want to set it up every day. It is also quite large packed. I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

ben

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

I bought the Wolfwise Privacy tent on Amazon, folds down into a disc shape as others have mentioned. It was inexpensive.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Thanks everyone, I ended up going with a popup tent, most of the complains I read on the web was about how tiny these are so I ended up buying one of the biggest one (6’ 10.7” high and 3’ 11” x 3’ 11”) I could find that also had reflective material on the inside for privacy. I twas still inexpensive.

I plan to get the Browing shown above latter on

Reactions: Winterpeg and Laud