• HTML tutorial

Mdyk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Vegas
Member #

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking into winch options and started thinking about just adding a high clearance 2" receiver to the front of my 2016 taco. I plan on getting a receiver mounted winch that I could switch from front to back as needed or remove the winch entirely when using the truck as my daily driver. Does any one have experience with receiver mounted winches. Any drawbacks to this plan I might be overlooking?

Thanks,
Mark

Reactions: Boort

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
I have one set up. Mine's a bit of a hack... I drag an auxiliary battery with 8 feet of cable around with me, storing it all in the bed. It's just when I go off-roading though. Plus, my winch is about 20 years old and is really for a car hauler I used to have. It's not ideal but paired with a pulley block it'll work ok. I considered putting a front hitch receiver on mine but I'll just make it work with one of the front tow-hooks. Best of luck!

4S50

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Stef
I originally planned to go the receiver mount route with my Jeep, but found that storing the winch when not in use was a problem with the limited space available. The other issue was the weight of the winch. I wound up with a Warn HS9500 which was too big and heavy to really pack around, so it is permanently mounted. I use a Warn Short Drum 6000 lbs. receiver mount winch on my Ram 2500, and it works great for light duty pulls.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

On my 02 Taco, I added front and rear Curt receiver hitches, and bought a Ramsey cradle winch.

I feel fairly confident in its abilities to get me unstuck, but have yet to employ it. I'll dig for an hour and get out my MaxTrax before even thinking about using my winch.

I will say, find a cradle that fits snugly into both your receivers. That and use quality hardware in all mounting.

-CP TACO

OB #2376

Reactions: 94Cruiser

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Personally I just would not feel safe using a winch stuck to the front or back of a vehicle with a single 2" "floppy" fitting receiver arrangement. I would work on a double insert pair of receiver mounts, the thought of pulling at an angle on a single receiver mounted winch plate/mount just makes me cringe.

Just me.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Compare the "tow" rating to the standard class three receiver and the pull rating of the winch you think you need. Then think about the different angles of force that winch may apply to the receiver verses towing.

Personally I say hard mount a winch or consider other recovery tools like a set of Maxtrax.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I'm with the guys that say hard mount the winch. In the (very) few situations you would have to have a rear mounted winch for recovery, hopefully you are out with a buddy with a winch or recovery straps. I just don't see that you really gain much by not hard mounting and all the advantages are with hard mounting.