Rebuilding my dad's Hummer H1... for it's next adventures.

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I don't know Shit from Shine Ola about a Hummer, but I know a worthy endeavor when I see one.
I haven't heard that expression since I left Texas. I didnt think you younger guys even knew what it meant. Your dad probably said that to you when you were in Jr. high school HUH ? My dad said I didnt know my ass from a hole in the ground. ( ! )

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Repaint the top: Sitting outside took it's tool on the top of the truck. We had painted the hood already - it had a new but unpainted hood when I went to pick it up but my dad couldn't remember why. But the top had some noticeable rust developing on top and it needed to be addressed. The whole truck will need a paint job before long but I'm going to wait for now. I'd want to get this usable and reliable to use it. As long as the body and paint are in good condition and serviceable I'll leave the "years" on it for now.

h43.jpg
h44.jpg
h45.jpg
h46.JPG
h47.JPG
h49.JPG

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Wheels and Tires: There is a limited number of wheel options available for the Hummer H1. Additionally, many wheels that are put on H1s (that look like super car wheels rolling around town) aren't actually strong enough for the weight of a loaded vehicle (especially off road). The original wheels my dad had on the truck were 16.5 inch, two piece steel wheels with the military tire they shipped with. Better options where available in later years. The best option are 17 inch 20 bolt 2-piece forged Hutchinson aluminum wheels. They are street legal bead-lock wheels. So we've gotten four of those, power coated them and increased the tire size from the stand 37 inch tires to 40 inch tires. My goal isn't to make this truck into a rock crawler but the larger tires do allow for some better performance off road. Since the the truck is fairly limited (speed wise) on road I'm comfortable with the increased tires. I resisted going up to 42s as I don' t think it needs them. Since these wheels are $1000 a piece, got another hummer wheel that's a little less expensive for the spare. I had wanted to get BFG Ko2s (and I still might later) or KM3 but they don't have the right size in KM3s and the KO2s only go up to 39 inched... which might be enough. On the recommendation of the Mod Mafia team (they run 42's on their personal trucks) I'm starting out with Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs. They have Kevlar reinforced sidewalls/shoulders and seem well rated at least for warm conditions. They are now a 10 year old design/technology... we'll see how they do.
h85.JPG
h86.JPG
h81.jpg
h78.JPG

Spare wheel cannibalized from another truck before powder coating. We're not using that tire though.

h82.JPG

When on the trail I can decided to protect the wheels with steel "hubcaps" they make. I wouldn't use them on road or for anything longer that a short "trail run".

h75.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
What are you doing with the engine/trans?

P400, stock, or Cummins/Duramax?
For now, staying stock. The engine is low mileage (~45k) and seems to run well. The transmission seem ok too but has over 100k miles on it.

In the longer term (3-5years) I’m currently thinking to go the Duramax/Alison route. But that’s pretty epic and I’d want to address as much as possible with that large of a tear down.

I don’t know enough about the P400 or Cummins options. Since the Duramax was a factory engine in the last year it gives me more confidence that it would work well as an overall package.

I wouldn’t go the crazy 1000 lbs/ft of torque route either. A reasonable improvement without changing the whole dynamic of the truck is what I would look to do.

Reactions: Munga Brown

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
For now, staying stock. The engine is low mileage (~45k) and seems to run well. The transmission seem ok too but has over 100k miles on it.

In the longer term (3-5years) I’m currently thinking to go the Duramax/Alison route. But that’s pretty epic and I’d want to address as much as possible with that large of a tear down.

I don’t know enough about the P400 or Cummins options. Since the Duramax was a factory engine in the last year it gives me more confidence that it would work well as an overall package.

I wouldn’t go the crazy 1000 lbs/ft of torque route either. A reasonable improvement without changing the whole dynamic of the truck is what I would look to do.
The P400 was the engine AMG offered for the up-armored HUMVEEs that needed a HP/TQ boost as a result of weight. I am not sure if they are still made, but they can be found.

I have the Durmax/Allison in my H1/Alpha.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The P400 was the engine AMG offered for the up-armored HUMVEEs that needed a HP/TQ boost as a result of weight. I am not sure if they are still made, but they can be found.

I have the Durmax/Allison in my H1/Alpha.
Isn't the P400 just a tarted up 6.5L? Banks also had some solutions for 6.5L H1s. I'm not sure I'd put too much money into any 6.5L though, even a P400. The D'max Allison would be my personal pick, but lots of shops are doing LS motors into the H1. I'd rather stay diesel, especially if traveling as far as this H1 once did, but it's hard to beat the bang for the buck of LS stuff.

-TJ

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Isn't the P400 just a tarted up 6.5L? Banks also had some solutions for 6.5L H1s. I'm not sure I'd put too much money into any 6.5L though, even a P400. The D'max Allison would be my personal pick, but lots of shops are doing LS motors into the H1. I'd rather stay diesel, especially if traveling as far as this H1 once did, but it's hard to beat the bang for the buck of LS stuff.

-TJ
Well I have a Duramax, but everyone I know who upgraded to a P400 from older 6.5 engines is very happy.

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Well I have a Duramax, but everyone I know who upgraded to a P400 from older 6.5 engines is very happy.
I’m inclined towards the Duramax/Allison version. I’d definitely want to keep it diesel.

Seems the Duramax would be easier to service and find parts.

Reading up on it a bit the P400 is a simpler replacement which would much less expensive but I think in the long run the Duramax seems like a better value.

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
I've always thought the Hummer was the underdog king of the 4x4 world. Who else marries Unimog Portals with Jaguar inboard disc brakes.
Love the lift too. Just what every Hummer needs.
Lol, seriously. This truck has family history and I've been enjoying this rebuild. It's probably not the ideal overland platform in my mind but I figure if my dad could drive it up and down North and South America it will probably get me where I want to go.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
Thanks! We took it for a shake down run on trails in and around Moab and it was great! It's certainly wide on some trails but other than that it pretty much crawled it's way over everything we asked it to.
And you didn’t share pics or vids?

Reactions: Fletcher8969