Rebuilding my dad's Hummer H1... for it's next adventures.

• HTML tutorial

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
d3.jpgIn 2000 my dad outfitted a pretty much stock Hummer H1 and drove it from Los Angeles to Prudhoe Bay on the north cost of Alaska. Then he turned around and drove it to Tierra Del Fuego at the bottom of Argentina. He crossed 14 countries and drove about 76K miles over 18 months. It was the trip he had wanted to do most of his adult life. After that trip he drove his truck around the US and sometimes as a daily driver for years. However, he hasn't been able to use it for several years. Although he can't drive any more (he's struggling with age and Alzheimer's) and I expect I might not even be able to even get him in the truck, I decided to get the truck rebuilt so he can enjoy it, at least vicariously, while I take his grand kids on some new adventures in it. I thought there might be few folks on this forum that would like to see how that's been going. I'll post pictures of the process a few at a time.

d1.jpg
d2.jpg
d4.jpg
d5.jpg

Last edited:

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Step 2: Figure out everything that needs to be repaired, replaced or refurbished. With 150k hard miles on it and sitting in the yard for a few years there was plenty of work to be done. The entire suspension and drive train needed to be gone through carefully. The portal hubs and differentials where removed for rebuild or replacement. This is just the beginning. :tearsofjoy:
h5.JPGh7.JPGh6.JPG
h8.JPG
h9.JPG

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Step 6: Replace all fluids, filters, hoses, belts, batteries. Install a new 140v alternator, heavy duty starter motor, steering pump, water pump, custom coolant overflow reservoir, new cooling stack and just about everything in the engine bay except the engine. The engine was replaced under warranty somewhere close to 100k miles (after the engine block cracked in the Atacama Desert) so it's running pretty well. Rebuild the Central Tire Inflation System and install an ARB twin compressor to drive that and the ARB diff lockers front and rear. The goal was to make this mechanically as reliable as possible.
h23.JPG
h27.jpg
h28.jpg

Last edited:

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Love the build. This thing will be unstoppable. I need to find a way to mate those portal hubs to my Renegade.

Reactions: Fletcher8969

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Next step: ARB lockers front and rear and Wilwood big brake kit. The truck had torsen diffs and a computer control traction system. Modern trucks have outstanding computer traction systems but this 20 year old military truck didn't have what you would call cutting edge tech these days. So I prefer the purely mechanical version and know when the diffs are locked or not. We also anodized the differential housings with a camo pattern to celebrate the military connection. My dad was in the Army so we picked green... his favorite color after his time in the Army... not.
The factory brakes where probably the worst thing on this truck. These brake should be a massive improvement. You'll notice in the pictures that the brakes are inboard right next to the differentials. They brake the half shafts since the portal hubs take up all the space in the wheels. It keeps them well protected from off road hazards and makes for extra fun when replacing pads.
h30.jpg
h31.jpg
h32.JPG
h33.jpg

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
New windshields. We'll have to see how many stickers we put on the new ones.
There are a lot of people that hate Hummers. They seem to see them as symbols of excess or gas (diesel) hogs. This truck has been vandalized more than once, including someone shooting both windshield with pellets. Too bad they aren't pellet proof. These windshields are heated so they're about $1000 a piece. Ouch.
h34.JPG

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Adding a new custom winch housing / front bumper. This improves the approach angle just a bit over the factory version. With a winch the approach angle is about 50 degrees. I decided to keep the 12K lbs factory winch since is still worked well. We rebuilt it and replaced the steel cable with synthetic line. The truck still has plenty of "patina" in places... clearly the winch looks its age.
h35.jpg
h36.jpgh37.jpg
h38.JPG
h39.JPG
h40.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Adding a new custom winch housing / front bumper. This improves the approach angle just a bit over the factory version. With a winch the approach angle is about 50 degrees. I decided to keep the 12K lbs factory winch since is still worked well. We rebuilt it and replaced the steel cable with synthetic line. The truck still has plenty of "patina" in places... clearly the winch looks its age.
View attachment 121789
View attachment 121790View attachment 121791
View attachment 121792
View attachment 121793
View attachment 121794
Very ambitious endeavor, your doing an excellent job. Your old dad is lucky to have such a loving son. Thumbs up for you !

Reactions: Fletcher8969

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Huge kudos to you for taking care of pops truck like this! Obviously the rig already has an incredible history but I'm super excited to see the development of the rebuild and also to see it running around again with the generations in tow!

Keep up the fantastic work!

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Transfer case: This is an entirely new transfer case that is heavier duty that the stock version. This is made for the much newer ECV (up-armored) HMMWVs that can weigh up to 16K lbs. This truck will probably weight about 8.5K lbs when we're done with it. It needs some modifications and retooling to work with the civilian H1s.

e:h41.JPG
h42.JPG

Last edited: