Rebranded Radios: Is one version better than the other?

• HTML tutorial

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
This is mainly directed at the Chinese brands, as the big 3 Japanese offerings do not seem to follow this trend. Criticisms like clarity and frequency shift, seem to be decreasing as improvements get better. If in the market for one, what makes you choose one branded version over another? Is it price ($), is it Functions?, or is it a combination of factors. Will it be a piece of gear used all the time, or infrequently, geared to emergency's. Does the possibility of customer service factor in after/during purchase?

Most Chinese radios do not have a stateside repair facility network in place, and any work has to be shipped to the Company overseas. Thus nullifying any real savings on the purchase side. Does one version offer better 'spec's' over another. Here are 3 radios, 2 of them rebranded, where the main one (RETEVIS) seems to be a better deal and be cheaper than the other 2.
Retevis RT-95.........................approximately $98-$115th.jpg
Any-Tone AT-778UV...............approximately $115-$120 logo.jpg
Midland DBR 2500..........................................$149logo.png

The Retevis comes with the programming cable included** (approx. $15) The Any-Tone may or not include it. The Midland does not, and costs about $16.
On the face of it, one seems to be a slam dunk, but as stated above, if you have a problem, you deal with a long distance factory representative or have to ship the unit back to China for repair. Now Midland being here in the USA, if a problem occurs, you can ship it back here stateside, thus making the extra front side purchase price more reasonable. Also Customs and slow turtle shipping is thus avoided.

Knowing the above options and background, what would you choose. How much does that price factor over other considerations. This same question can be applied to other things as well. The above is a good example of apples to apples to more apples.
1570051149281.png
1570051248482.png
1570051338987.png

I think I saw where the Retevis had a extra programming feature not offered on the other 2, but can't now seem to find it. One other thought, does max power output matter in your overall shopping consideration, as most users will use the least neccessary to accomplish the task at hand.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

For the Midland radio when ordering directly from their website use the promo code OverlandUSA and you get $30 off of that radio. (20% off site wide)

Reactions: RainGoat

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
For the Midland radio when ordering directly from their website use the promo code OverlandUSA and you get $30 off of that radio. (20% off site wide)
Yup did that coupon on the Midland GMRS MXT 275 I bought off their web-site $119 w/free shipping, a couple of weeks ago.

EDIT: 10/03/19

I went on their website and put the radio and the programming cable in the cart. Midland accepted the radio discount (OverlandUSA), but nothing off on the cable. I'm still not sure this is the radio I will get after I get my HAM ticket. Still deciding, as this wont be a piece of gear that gets a lot of use, at least no plan at this time :grinning:, of course plans change and/or evolve.

DBR 2500.....................$149.99 .................................... ($119.00 w/standalone discount, no cable)
Programming cable........$14.99
SubTotal........................$164.98
minus (-) Discount...........$33.00
------------------------------------------------
TOTAL w/ free shipping...$131.98

So not bad, and not that more $ than the other two. I also checked out their 'programming download', which allows you to name your freq. choices. Was easy to setup, no CD like the other two use for doing the same thing.

Last edited: