Reaver's DIY adventure box! | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Reaver's DIY adventure box!

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Any updates on your trailer build?

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Any updates on your trailer build?
No updates yet. I'm still working out the design. I toyed with the idea of making the box removable so I can still use the trailer for utility purposes as well. I just don't think it's gonna work that way.

I hoping to start building it soon though.

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
OK, I know I've not posted anything in a while. I've still been trying to figure out what exactly I want to build the box frame out of.

Cost of steel keeps going up. That, combined with the fact that I would have to buy a whole lot of additional equipment, learn to use it, then build the trailer kind of rules that out. I did talk with a local fabricator last week, and he flat out said materials and labor cost is going to be insane. Probably 2000+.

Wood, while easy to work with, requires lots of sealing, and reinforcement to be strong, and last. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I think I can get better strength with less weight with other materials.

Extruded aluminum. This is what I will be building my box frame out of. I priced it out, and to build what I want, will cost me about $600. This has the advantage of giving me more strength, less weight, and can be bolted together using basic hand tools.

I'll still need to skin it using wood, but I like the added advantages of the t-slot frame. I'm hoping I'll be able to get this box built over the winter. Maybe I can talk my parents into loaning me thier garage.....

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I just finished designing the skeleton for the box. Definitely going with extruded aluminum from T-Nutz.com.

With everything pre-cut, and corner gusset brackets, the materials come out to $705 plus shipping.

This is the way.

Billiebob

Rank V

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

2x4 8s just dropped here from $17 each to $4 each
but you won't regret using aluminium