Rear storage and kitchen concept

• HTML tutorial

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Like a lot of ideas, this one began with looking at what others have already done and deciding what fits best in my world.
Thankfully I have the tools and skills to customize and make this type of project. I'll likely skip the interior jerry cans but keep much of the rest. Probably shorten the length of the last segment. Overall- I like it.
It will be modular so I can take components all or none depending on the trip.
extra surface_zpsfdhki1kv.jpg
I've got a 2017 4Runner that this is meant for - Some of the large panel sides will have cutouts to reduce weight but keep structural integrity.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
That’s cool. What are you gonna build it out of? I’m about to begin the 2nd stage of my cargo build out and noticed the holes in the side of the fridge box. Good idea, that will solve my ventilation issue I had. It’s fun designing and building your own gear. Good luck. Post up results!

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

I've got a great lumber/sheet goods supply store here in Denver that is my go-to place for materials to make cabinets from. Autin Hardwoods is the name, though I may need to find one on the Western Slope of CO where my woodworking shop is located. I'm not positive what I'll use and I may very well be a combination of materials. Some solid core ply, easy to glue auto felt to for the tops, some laminated MDF easy to keep clean for sides and drawer faces. All of it easy to work with. some drawers will have lids - likely going to use a standard commercial grade cutting boards. A few heavy duty full extension drawer slides, latches and I think I'll have a nice product. I'll take plenty of pictures if not video as I build and post.

Last edited:

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Pretty excited to have started my cargo area storage and kitchen build - I've come across many great examples and will be pirating components from each. Here is a picture of one I found recently - my design will flip the fridge and kitchen to the opposite sides and I'm not planning on a sink at the moment but may design it so that I could add one without too much frustration. One thing I am realizing is that if I ever go with a swing out spare/jerry can set up I'll need to find/fabricate one that pivots from the driverside as a single swing OR potentially a split set-up. I want the awning/camp side to be on the passenger side. Actual pictures of my build will come soon.cargo drawers and kitchen.jpg .

Last edited:

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Look forward to seeing this build. That one pictured is clean! I just don't have the space or tools to build one so I'm looking at Trekboxx. Love how clean theirs are.

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Well I'm pretty excited to have finished (aside from a couple little details) my cargo storage / kitchen.
I've been out with it on one trip so far and it did exactly what I was looking for. It allows for lots of space to both sides as well as a bit behind the rear seats, and a bunch above. Can't wait to get out there again with it.Kitchen slide.JPG