RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Looking to buy my fourth PU truck camper. I've had both hard side and pop-up types in the past. Back when 4WD trucks were relatively affordable, I'd take them into extreme areas off road. After destroying a hardside with this type of travel, I bought a pop up. But now we use ATVs to get deep into the woods and the $60,000+ truck stays on the "safe area"....There is no issue with the campers height any longer.....My question, how much difference is there, real world, in MPG for a hardside VS a popup. Does the extra few inches of height really make that much of a difference (Weight being equal) I'm currently using a RAM 2500, 6.4 HEMI, short bed, 3300# Payload....My own comparisons would not be accurate as these three previous campers were on three different pickup trucks. Thanks

cortttt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Western U.S.
First Name
cort
Last Name
Johnson
I would love to hear more about this as well as how you destroyed the hardside (branches on the top or side?). I imagine those few inches don't make that much difference but would love to know. Also how much less tippy the popups have been?

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I would say that anything going over the cab of the truck will cause a decrease in gas mileage and the more wind resistance the more it will effect. I dont have experience with a camper on my 2500, but i did have a RTT on the bed of my 1500 gasser. The height over cab was only about 2 1/2 inches, about 200lbs total with the tent and yakima rack. I dropped about 2 mpg from this setup. Maybe this will halp a little bit.

cortttt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Western U.S.
First Name
cort
Last Name
Johnson
I would say that anything going over the cab of the truck will cause a decrease in gas mileage and the more wind resistance the more it will effect. I dont have experience with a camper on my 2500, but i did have a RTT on the bed of my 1500 gasser. The height over cab was only about 2 1/2 inches, about 200lbs total with the tent and yakima rack. I dropped about 2 mpg from this setup. Maybe this will halp a little bit.
I would love 2mpg. Whatever I go with - truck camper or rather big (Black series?) trailer, I imagine it will be more. Still, good to hear you kept it pretty low on the 1500...Fingers crossed.

Reactions: K12

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I would love 2mpg. Whatever I go with - truck camper or rather big (Black series?) trailer, I imagine it will be more. Still, good to hear you kept it pretty low on the 1500...Fingers crossed.
I am currently pulling a black series HQ19 with the 2500, 6.7l cummins. getting an average of about 14mpg. Not sure what the 6.4l hemi will drop with towing/hauling. I would Highly recommend the black series to anyone looking for an offroad trailer.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
11mpg. Way more if you stick to slow country roads.

It doesn't matter. Most of us don't put enough mileage on for it to become significant on a trip. My Cummins gets 13 with a utility box.