Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

So I started two new hobbies that I can take outdoors w/ me. I bought a Traxxas TRX4 and a new drone. I've been taking them w/ me whenever I'm out for something else to do at camp. The truck has been a lot of fun and the drone takes awesome shots. Unrelated kinda, but I also bought a new action camera. Like a GoPro but off brand and much cheaper.

20201111_155412.jpg

2020102818293661.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I did thise years ago, mainly with Tamiaya. I've been considering a 1/24 scale truck just to fit into the rig better.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It's a lot of fun to work on when you don't feel like working on real trucks. So many mods for it but they aren't cheap.
I build all of my mods... so far mods include a warn M1200 winch (that actually works via RC), tube doors, bumpers, working swing away tire carrier, limb risers, and a few other things. I used to scratch build 1:32 model cars, so I just bring my scratch building to the 1:10 RC realm.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
These little RC rigs are amazing! Great to see how detailed everything is done!

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Have been thinking about creating one to match our WJ, There is a guy in Australia that makes a 1/9th scale WJ body that will fit the common brands of chassis. Just don't have a ton of time to spend upgrading a miniature version of the full size one I already spend too much time under... Of course I could buy a new overland rig that matches an out of the box RC .. lol

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Have been thinking about creating one to match our WJ, There is a guy in Australia that makes a 1/9th scale WJ body that will fit the common brands of chassis. Just don't have a ton of time to spend upgrading a miniature version of the full size one I already spend too much time under... Of course I could buy a new overland rig that matches an out of the box RC .. lol
Building for me is more fun than actually driving the rigs. I have been looking at the Axial SCX10 Builder Kit as a starting point for my next build. My problem is there aren’t very many hard bodies out there. The polycarbonate bodies don’t take kindly to thrashing, they lack details, and building out the interior is a real pain to get the details where I like them, and lastly I hate body posts.

Dave,
If I were wanting to build a WJ, I would start off buying a Builder Kit from either RedCat, Traxxs, or Axial, and the WJ body, then build build it as a runner, then upgrade with accessories to match your Jeep over time. My Deadpool Crawler was about $1000.00 to build before accessorizing (although the kit has come down in price by 50% since I bout it as a pre-release).

Reactions: OTH Overland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
RC rigs are not only fun, they are very educational especially for pre-driving teens. At one of our events I enjoyed watching several parents teaching their kids the fineness of picking a good line and the consequences of a bad one.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have quadcopter drone i use for spotting hogs and coyote when hunting em. That is all I use it for though off my property id have to get faa license for it. I've thought about getting one of those amphibious tanks that shoot airsoft bbs to keep my farm cats outt the road.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I have quadcopter drone i use for spotting hogs and coyote when hunting em. That is all I use it for though off my property id have to get faa license for it. I've thought about getting one of those amphibious tanks that shoot airsoft bbs to keep my farm cats outt the road.
I got one of those too..:)

IBSP1.jpg

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Cypress

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
You only need that for commercial use. I.E. you're using your drone to make money, like a lot of the full time youtubers do. If you are just flying for fun or for your own purposes, it's not needed.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB