Raptor batwing wing 270.. Who has one??

• HTML tutorial

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

And what are your thoughts for somebody seriously considering one? How is the set up take down after many uses? How sturdy has it been on windy rainy days? Is the thinner material an issue? are the plastic joint pieces holding up well? Can you show a vid of the set up and take down? I've only been able to find this one vid as has been stated in the replies to the vid..Lets here it.

Reactions: bmwguru

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

And what are your thoughts for somebody seriously considering one? How is the set up take down after many uses? How sturdy has it been on windy rainy days? Is the thinner material an issue? are the plastic joint pieces holding up well? Can you show a vid of the set up and take down? I've only been able to find this one vid as has been stated in the replies to the vid..Lets here it.

I'm curious as well. Honestly the awning looks a little chinsy but the price is right. I wonder how well it stands up to wind. I currently have the ARB 2500 awning but have been looking at the 270 options. Was interested in the Kinsmen 270 awning I saw at Expo east this past fall but they were supposed to be available by now but now the website says coming spring 2019 so who knows. There's always the AluCab Shadow Awn if you have an extra $1500 burning a hole in your pocket.

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

You are a convincing salesman. Not sure if you recall but my wife and I have the brown Tundra you set up near last fall near Old Forge. The Raptor set up is nice because the wall panels are individual and there are set up options that way. I love yours but don't have that up front Ching. I plan on purchasing a winch and bumper and other items.

Reactions: Cpol

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I'm curious as well. Honestly the awning looks a little chinsy but the price is right. I wonder how well it stands up to wind. I currently have the ARB 2500 awning but have been looking at the 270 options. Was interested in the Kinsmen 270 awning I saw at Expo east this past fall but they were supposed to be available by now but now the website says coming spring 2019 so who knows. There's always the AluCab Shadow Awn if you have an extra $1500 burning a hole in your pocket.
I was originally going get s straight awning until I was introduced to bat wings at last MAOF. Ever since then I've been shopping and like you, I really the price point of the Raptor.

Reactions: Cpol

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

You are a convincing salesman. Not sure if you recall but my wife and I have the brown Tundra you set up near last fall near Old Forge. The Raptor set up is nice because the wall panels are individual and there are set up options that way. I love yours but don't have that up front Ching. I plan on purchasing a winch and bumper and other items.
How’s everything going

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

How’s everything going

Pretty good. Getting itchy to get back out for some adventure.. Just realized the pic above was from the weekend I mentioned.. How have you been. I see you're getting out and about..See the pics at Overland NYS..Yours isn't a Raptor brand batwing is it?

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

How easy is the installation and removal of the awning?

Check out the pics I linked above..looks like there are "L" brackets that mount to your roof rack and then the awning is mounted to aluminum rails..Doesn't seem too hard or confusing..

agent00111

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lau
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VWP
I was able to get one of the Kinsmen awnings at Overland West. Based on my set up I couldn't do the AluCab without re-working my Pioneer platform or moving my James Baroud RTT over a bit due to the mounts. Kinsmen awning is a beast: fast to set up and take down and is very wind stable without any support poles. I'm glad I saved up for this. It's worth waiting for.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I ordered and received the Wraptor 2500.. It took a awhile to figure out some custom mounting brackets as my roof frame is 1 1/2" sq tubing..I got it all figured out and mounted solidly. I've set it up 2x now.. The 1st time I needed my wife to help get the canvas stretched over the corner pins at the top of the legs.. The 2nd time, she wasn't home and I had to get it set up and back down before a thunder storm came. I'm sure the 3rd time will be a breeze.. about a 5+ minute set up. Not bad.. faster coming down and putting it away.. Overall, I'm real satisfied with it. It provides a huge shaded area against the sun, which is why I opted for the 2500 over the 2000. The framework is lightweight with the plastic corner connectors. Ya just gotta pay attention to what's going on so they don't break or flex. I haven't used the guide lines to stake it down yet. But when its up and the end tie down strap is taught to the passenger side of the truck, the awning itself is pretty sturdy. The legs have pins out of the bottom to push into the soil as well so they won't slip and slide around. That might be an issue on rocky terrain..I have an 18' x 8' garage door screen that I intend to cut down to size to use as a partial screened enclosure..It will be held on with the Velcro strips that are used for the wall sections made for this awning. Then, maybe in the future, I'll order a few wall panels to be able to have variation in whats closed and whats not..

Last edited:

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I purchased the Rhinorack Batwing just before ExpoWest this year and boy did it come in handy. Set up and take down is so easy. We had it up the whole weekend through the wind and rain.

Reactions: Patriot

Delux2769

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, CO, USA
Member #

We're running the ARB 2500 with Deluxe Awning Room... and a POPE Overland 270' awning on the passenger side...

We love it. Got mine as a demo from the company for $250.

270 awnings are definitely worth it... I am going to be upgrading to the new RhinoRack Batwing though, just because it's black and I get a good deal through work.20190518_123553.jpg

Last edited: