Ram X mount movement....any ideas?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am using a large Ram X mount in a horizontal position to hold my Tablet. It moves while in the mount, which I thought was the ball mount moving while hitting off road obstacles....but it's actually the two arms moving in the center part where they open and close. Is there any way to prevent this?

Reactions: Druckel

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I have some similar movement on my tablet mount as well. I'm going to try sticking some velcro on the back of my tablets case and the mount to see how that works to limit the movement... I'll let you know how it works out.

Reactions: Druckel and Kent R

Druckel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

4843 North Wabash Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri 64118, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Ruckel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0THT
I am using a large Ram X mount in a horizontal position to hold my Tablet. It moves while in the mount, which I thought was the ball mount moving while hitting off road obstacles....but it's actually the two arms moving in the center part where they open and close. Is there any way to prevent this?
Would you please post a pic of your mount setup?
Thanks!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

If it moves and it shouldn't duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should WD40.
For all other issues get a hammer.

Seriously post some pics of what you've got and we might can help. Since it is a holder holding things, it is likely relying on either tension, friction, or both.

jnicks01

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nicks
Had this issue on my motorcycle. But using only my phone, so I just added that rubber holder to the mix, which fixed it. Do they make tablet size rubber straps for Ram?

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

perhaps this will stabilize it (Ram mount tether)

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

I have struggled with ram movement concerns too. I decided to set it against my dash to stop the movement. not sure if that is an option for your setup. Also Ram makes balls mounts front different materials, maybe try a different type or larger ball

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I had the same issue using the Ram X grip to hold a large ham radio control head. For that I am going a different route but for my tablet and phone (which I initially used the Ram X grip for) I went with Scosche Magnetic mounts. They hold great and it only takes one hand to mount the tablet versus two for the Ram X grip. I use two mag mounts for my 10" tablet and one for my phone. I realize that doesn't answer your question, but it's another option. Ram also has other tablet mounts and it appears they may not have the same rotational issue but those appear to be for larger tablets and almost cost as much as the tablet does.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I run a 10 inch I-Pad and yes, it moves some. In my old TJ, I had part of my cage running across my dash top. The mount was attached to that. I would rest the bottom of the I-pad on that pocket on top. On my cruiser I rest it on the shelf above the radio. Neither is ideal and both still had slight movement. I have tried several different mounts over the years and this worked the best. If you think about it, we have a bit of weight extended out on an arm. Leverage. I run the extensions as short as possible.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Not a tablet, however our GPS unit was mounted on the OEM Garmin mount, and it didn;t work particularly well (movement and tendency to fall off in hot conditions), so we modified a GoPro mount and it's a lot better.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
but it's actually the two arms moving in the center part where they open and close. Is there any way to prevent this?
OH..I miss read your post..Odd. Mine clamps (squeezes) top/bottom. Is yours side/side allowing the tablet to slide out some?
Or are you saying it tilts?

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
OH..I miss read your post..Odd. Mine clamps (squeezes) top/bottom. Is yours side/side allowing the tablet to slide out some?
Or are you saying it tilts?
Mine grips the top and bottom....well, sides, but it's in landscape mode. the four arms are on springs and open and close. When mounted, the tablet and arms will move in the center part with the springs. Is there any way I can fix this? Going over rough terrain it keeps moving and hitting the dash. I thought it was the ball not being gripped by the arm. But its the mount arms moving.

Essentially, it still pivots where the springs open to put the tablet into the mount. If I get a chance I will provide some pictures and videos to show exactly what I am talking about.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Had a similar problem with my X-Grip which I use as phone holder. The rubber caps where moving and I lost one. So I ordered spares and fitted them by putting some tape around the metal first and then pushed on the rubber caps. I have seen now, that in this product description of the spare rubber caps it is written that they come with a glue to offer extra security (mine came without, but it is quite some time ago I ordered it):

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Just to be sure, the holding part (arms) are rotating (tilting) on vibration. As I posted earlier, my fix for that and the arm flex was to rest the tablet or one of the lower arms on the dash. Because I prefer the tablet to be slightly pointed at me, I rest one of the lower arms on the dash (the other hangs in the air). That works for smooth roads. Rough roads I end up with it pointing straight back with both lower arms resting on the dash. Over time both positions need to be scooted back. My phone has a smaller X mounted to my pillar, it will rotate off center if my hand bumps it from the steering wheel. At one time, I tried running it horizontal to use for my mapping. That would tilt on rough roads also.

BTW which mount are you using

Universal
Other Universal

The first one is the type I use on my phone, it moves more than the second type which I use on my tablet.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Just to be sure, the holding part (arms) are rotating (tilting) on vibration. As I posted earlier, my fix for that and the arm flex was to rest the tablet or one of the lower arms on the dash. Because I prefer the tablet to be slightly pointed at me, I rest one of the lower arms on the dash (the other hangs in the air). That works for smooth roads. Rough roads I end up with it pointing straight back with both lower arms resting on the dash. Over time both positions need to be scooted back. My phone has a smaller X mounted to my pillar, it will rotate off center if my hand bumps it from the steering wheel. At one time, I tried running it horizontal to use for my mapping. That would tilt on rough roads also.

BTW which mount are you using

Universal
Other Universal

The first one is the type I use on my phone, it moves more than the second type which I use on my tablet.
Yes, that is what is happening, Where I have it mounted I cannot rotate to the dash or it's squish. I have OCD over things not being straight and fair. I would have bought another mount if I thought this would be an issue.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Several years ago I tried all the different mounts available at the time. One mount (dont remember the name) had a flat plastic back and the sides moved in and out on rack gears. This system was the most stable over all. What happened though was dirt worked its way into the gear mechanism and tore them up. It would have been fine if I didn't remove my tablet. At that time, I shied away from the ram because it didn't look stable.
Each brand I tried had problems with anything bigger than a phone. The ram ended up being the best over all for how I have to run them. There are systems out there that are hard mounted and the tablet/laptop is actually locked in place for theft. None of the pedestal types will work for me. I don't want anything mounted to the floor or literally hard mounted through the dash. I want to stay with the ball mount type. On the other hand, I haven't looked at different options in probably five years. There could be something new out there now. If there is anything new out there you see, please let me know.

I kind of obsess over comparing different types/brands of gear. If I hadn't gone through and did a "winter cleaning" I probably could have sent you some of the ones I didn't like to see if they worked for your application.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Likewise, I had a mount in my 2011. It was a ball mount but was a plastic one for tablets I got off ebay. It gripped my lepan mini perfectly. I want that one back. It was great. Solid, stable no messing around and 14 dollars. It was better than the ram. I spent almost 190 bucks on ram gear. Besides one ball and short arm, The rest could have been returned.