RAM 2500 Custom Overland Build, RTT Rack, Aux Batt, Transfer Tank, Sliders & Other Stuff!

• HTML tutorial

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hey Guys.

So looking for a solution for mounting plates was not easy. There are not a lot of options out there that fit my build. I ended up going with the leitner universal mounting plates. They were not cheap, but they are nice, shame to have to grind, cut, and weld on um....

Here are the plates layed out for spacing measurements ,

Then I layed out for slots in the rack that the plate tabs would slide in to and drilled some stop holes. I will cut the slot with a grinder and skinny wheel,

Here is what the plate looks like after some trimming. Also had to take the bends out of the mounting tabs,

Reactions: Dodge Cummins

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
With the plate mocked up in place, need to make the slots a bit wider. It's a tight fit right now.
I am busy all day today and tomorrow, but I am trying to spend at least 30 minutes each evening to make I little progress.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
QUESTION:

What do you guys recomend for mounting pins for the traction boards and the hi-lift jack?

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I use the tube mounts from hi-lift. But a bolt and a rubber strap was the way i was thinking. You can drill a hole through the bolt that goes through the hi-lift shaft to put a lock on it. For my boards i used the same deal on the back of my tool box but ground all the thread off the bolts drilled a hole through them and had two locks on the top and cotter pins on the bottom. Used big washers to keep the pins and locks off the boards. Think ifs half inch or 3/4 bolts. With the hi-lift ive seen kinda that same deal. Bolts go through the pin holes hard bolted to a rack. Can slip a washer an nut on it and tighten them down pretty goodIMG_5789.JPG. I had a set of these from hilift its self.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I was able to get the plates installed before the weekend. This helped make it possible to make a run south to Bend Oregon to pay a visit to CVT.
0726191309_HDR.jpg

I got the tent mounted and headed for the forest for my first night in my new digs...
0726191717_HDR.jpg

0726191921a_HDR.jpg

A great meal and a peaceful spot,
0726192039_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasGMG

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Last shot to end the weekend,
0728191921_HDR.jpg

Have a great week! Just think, 4 days to plan something epic.........

Reactions: RoarinRow

Old Man River

Rank 0

Contributor I

Beaverton
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Allison
Great design. I want to build something like this over a canopy to house Leitner style cans on the outside. Interested in doing some work in the future?

Old Man River

Rank 0

Contributor I

Beaverton
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Allison
Looking good Michael. I have seen a few custom racks like yours over the years. There is a guy in California that builds them as well for his own company https://dissentoffroad.com however he only builds for Toyota as of right now. He is too busy to build for other brands. I saw this pic of a custom rack on a jeep and it was closer to what I was looking to build except I want it to go on the outside of an ARE canopy. The ladder is even cool over the tire. This would allow me to also add two bars top and bottom like the Leitner system to add gas and water to the outside and the pop-up on top all the while keeping my canopy so I can sleep inside the truck and my kids can sleep in the tent.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I welded up and ran wiring on my own custom roof rack and a sof top underneath.
Looks good. I have always found it satisfying to build things myself.

Anyone interested in buying a custom roof rack and soft top for a 6ft4 bed? Im in texas
This would probably be better placed in the classifieds.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Looking good Michael. I have seen a few custom racks like yours over the years. There is a guy in California that builds them as well for his own company https://dissentoffroad.com however he only builds for Toyota as of right now. He is too busy to build for other brands. I saw this pic of a custom rack on a jeep and it was closer to what I was looking to build except I want it to go on the outside of an ARE canopy. The ladder is even cool over the tire. This would allow me to also add two bars top and bottom like the Leitner system to add gas and water to the outside and the pop-up on top all the while keeping my canopy so I can sleep inside the truck and my kids can sleep in the tent.
I was seriously on the fence with building this rack for my truck. Then I started thinking about how involved it would be. Lots of hours fitting and blending all of the radiused connections, but possible. Looks awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dodge Cummins