Question re: pulling OR trailer on White Rim?

• HTML tutorial

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Centennial, Colorado, 80016
First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Hey all,

New member here (#2904). Looks like a great resource.

For anyone who might want to weigh in, I am pulling a small off-road trailer I've built around White Rim in May. I've done this trip before by Mtn Bike and I remember the few hills that would be a significant challenge were I to be pulling a trailer down, while someone else was coming up. This is my first OR trailer and so it will be a learning curve for me. Any thoughts? My first thought was to leave the trailer at the top, drive a passenger to the bottom, and then drive back up to get the trailer. The person at the bottom would be there to stop someone who may be getting ready to go up, and ask (kindly) if they wouldn't mind waiting until I got back down with the trailer. I remember the dicey hills are not that long, but they would suck to back up with a trailer (probably not even possible actually).

Also, we'll be there May 6/7/8 (after spending a couple of days in the Flatops in Western Colorado), going counter-clockwise and out Potash even though Shaffer is way more fun, but due to the above. Would be cool to meet-up with anyone else who might be there. Will have mobile ham radio up and monitoring Wilderness Protocol frequency.

Your suggestions/thoughts re: the trailer really appreciated!

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Well, that would blow! I've been operating under the assumption that it was okay, since there are a few posts on YouTube of at least one guy doing just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I could have sworn I saw a small trailer behind an XJ a few months ago. You should be fine. Why not just take Potash close to the base of Shafer then go left onto White Rim if you're worried? Quite a nice drive that way as well, albeit less cheek clenching.

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Well, that was the original idea but we couldn't get camps going that way have to go counterclockwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Seriously? No ones willing to share their thoughts/expertise? Bummer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk