Question for fellow OB Nissan 2nd Gen Xterra Owners - Rear suspension bottoming out FIX?

• HTML tutorial

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Hey fellow OB community!

My current rig is a 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x with only around 40k miles on it at the moment. I'm running a stock suspension, and hope to someday make some changes to it, but here is my current dilemma/question to the group.... While out exploring on the past few adventures I notice that it doesn't take much extra weight (camping gear, dogs, etc..), to cause my rigs rear end to bottom out. I'm assuming that it's the bump stops that I am feeling when we go over small to medium dips or bumps in the road while travelling under full load. After doing a bit of research via the web, I'm even more confused at what a possible fix might be. I'm hoping that other more experienced OB Xterra build owners might be able to shed a little light on the subject?

So far here is a short list of possible fixes that other 2nd Gen Xterra owners have suggested on other sites...

1) Helper springs (leaf spring assist)
2) Timbren bump stops
3) Add-A-Leaf (AAL) kit
4) Coil overs
5) Leaf system replacement (Alcan, OME)
6) Shocks replacement

I'm sure there are more, but that's what I have found so far. Any thoughts or tales of your experience with this issue and what you did to fix it would be most helpful. Thanks! :)

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
My 07 S does the same with a load and I'm not ready to lift yet, so I'm going to add the Helwig helpers and a new pair of shocks. I have a set of Timbren bums and Radflo rear shocks, but right now my ride height is so low that the Timbrens will be in constant contact with the axle and the Radflos are too long.

When I do lift, I want to do a set of 500lb+ Alcan leaf packs on the rear to accommodate the camping gear and an eventual bumper with tire carrier. I've read that most people without a bumper do a 400lb+ set, but that the 500lb+ set won't noticeably stiffen the ride without the bumper but you are set when you do get one.

Reactions: Obi-Juan

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
My 07 S does the same with a load and I'm not ready to lift yet, so I'm going to add the Helwig helpers and a new pair of shocks. I have a set of Timbren bums and Radflo rear shocks, but right now my ride height is so low that the Timbrens will be in constant contact with the axle and the Radflos are too long.

When I do lift, I want to do a set of 500lb+ Alcan leaf packs on the rear to accommodate the camping gear and an eventual bumper with tire carrier. I've read that most people without a bumper do a 400lb+ set, but that the 500lb+ set won't noticeably stiffen the ride without the bumper but you are set when you do get one.
Great info! Thanks for the specs on the rear bumper weight requirements. My next install should be a rear bumper with tire carrier so I think I'd add a leaf pack replacement to my list for sure.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

5" of lift in the back (was shooting for 3", but due to a bushing miscalculation I ended up with longer shackles), 285/75/16 tires.

Sent via Pony Express and Carrier Pigeon.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Yeah, I haven't made up mind if I want my X to be lifted since it's my daily. Nice setup you got there though.. hopefully i can come up with a good semi-stock solution for now, maybe down the line I'll start looking into to lift kits. Thanks for the info! :)

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

If you stick with stock, you will still bottom. There just isn't enough upward travel between the axle and the stops. I daily mine and it runs fine on the road. A 2-3" lift will solve the problem and not drastically affect road manners.

Sent via Pony Express and Carrier Pigeon.

Reactions: BCBrian and TerryD

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Hey fellow OB community!

My current rig is a 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x with only around 40k miles on it at the moment. I'm running a stock suspension, and hope to someday make some changes to it, but here is my current dilemma/question to the group.... While out exploring on the past few adventures I notice that it doesn't take much extra weight (camping gear, dogs, etc..), to cause my rigs rear end to bottom out. I'm assuming that it's the bump stops that I am feeling when we go over small to medium dips or bumps in the road while travelling under full load. After doing a bit of research via the web, I'm even more confused at what a possible fix might be. I'm hoping that other more experienced OB Xterra build owners might be able to shed a little light on the subject?

So far here is a short list of possible fixes that other 2nd Gen Xterra owners have suggested on other sites...

2) Timbren bump stops
3) Add-A-Leaf (AAL) kit
4) Coil overs
6) Shocks replacement

I'm sure there are more, but that's what I have found so far. Any thoughts or tales of your experience with this issue and what you did to fix it would be most helpful. Thanks! :)

I recently bought a 2015 Pr0-4X and am having the same problem with bottoming out ... I have questioned quite a few people on other sites and at the 4x4 place close to me, if I want to replace the front bumper with a Shrockworks, or similar, I will also need to replace the shocks up front and add coilovers. I am looking at Radflo 2.0 w/ coilovers on the front and a set of Alcans on the back, rated for 650 lbs ... Not the cheapest solution, and not even sure if that will fix my issue and give me the lift I want, so I'm still researching ... If anyone can add any advice and/or experiences, please do so ...

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Hey fellow OB community!

2) Timbren bump stops
3) Add-A-Leaf (AAL) kit
4) Coil overs
6) Shocks replacement

1) Helper springs. Yes. Increase your spring rate when suspension is compressed.
2) Timbren bump stops. Why. Your factory stops work fine. Longer stops will only cause a bottoming sooner and shorter may cause damage.
3) AAL. Same as helpers but will affect full travel instead of just when you compress, like a helper does. I still have add a leafs on my factory packs.
4) Coil overs. Someone is dreaming with your money. Your not running the Baja peninsula at 60+ MPH.
5) Leaf replacement. Yes and yes. Generic Alcan has good results. OME has great. Custom rate pack for your weight/configuration is best.
6) Shock replacement. Yes, yes, yes (I'll stop at three before the climax jokes start). I have off the shelf generic valved Fox's. This is the best ride I've ever had with an empty back area. Like a car. And it only gets better with weight.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I spent Friday evening and Saturday running roads/trails from mild dirt roads to pretty rough forest service roads covered in small rocks and dips and now I'm really dieing for new shocks. I had the rear loaded with a small cooler, water jug, and all the associated camping gear and it was brutal at stock height with bad shocks. The bumps took a beating and I thought I was going to be sick due to the swaying on the trail. It's annoying that I have some 12k mile KYB struts with 2" spacers and a set of rear Radflo shocks in the garage, I just can't/won't pony up for bigger tires to go ahead and stick them on...

Utahgrapher

Rank I

Contributor III

Same problem here with my 06 Xterra, went with the OME medium solution front and back and could not be happier. Slightly stiff when empty but when loaded for a trip (about 850# including tongue weight) its smooth sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Spacer lifts are worse than nothing. They badly mess up the geometry of the suspension and can even cause damage to the shocks. They are a cosmetic lift, at best, and decrease overall travel while upsetting the handling and stability.

It is much better to put that money towards a real lift, especially up front. New coilovers and UCAs with either an AAL (which is bandaid good for about two years at most) or full rear spring replacement and new rear shocks. The longer shocks, longer coilovers, and the geometry of the aftermarket UCA make for a more stable platform with better travel and handling than a cheap spacer kit.

Reactions: 1derer and BCBrian

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Spacer lifts are worse than nothing. They badly mess up the geometry of the suspension and can even cause damage to the shocks. They are a cosmetic lift, at best, and decrease overall travel while upsetting the handling and stability.

It is much better to put that money towards a real lift, especially up front. New coilovers and UCAs with either an AAL (which is bandaid good for about two years at most) or full rear spring replacement and new rear shocks. The longer shocks, longer coilovers, and the geometry of the aftermarket UCA make for a more stable platform with better travel and handling than a cheap spacer kit.
Thanks for the info TreXTerra... If you where going to outfit a stock 2012 Pro-4x suspension today, what suspension kit or system would you recommend? I need to also consider the additional weight of the following add-ons: Shrockworks full front bumper (w/winch), and rear bumper with tire carrier, sliders... and a Garvin drop-in Wilderness roof rack. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Well, if I had the money today I would go straight for a Titan Swap, but that is like killing a housefly with a howitzer for overlanding.

I would look at Old Man Emu, which is what I recommended to my brother. He has a nearly identical Xterra to my own, but OME didn't make a kit when I built mine. I would lean to a comprehensive kit like this one: http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58951&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Note that you can select what weight springs you want based on your load. You can also call Nisstec and get their opinion. One thing I would absolutely do is buy the cam bolt kit if your vehicle doesn't already have those. It makes doing the alignment much easier. I know my 2006 did not come from the factory with a front camber adjustment, I had to add that.

In my experience, the lifted shackles alone will only prolong the problem and the light duty springs will eventually flatten out or go "W" shaped. Add-a-leaf springs are another bandaid that will last a couple years. I would go for a full spring replacement, it is more expensive, but buying band-aids is just flushing your money. You will end up with new springs anyway, might as well not buy half-measures and just do it right the first time.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Well, if I had the money today I would go straight for a Titan Swap, but that is like killing a housefly with a howitzer for overlanding.

I would look at Old Man Emu, which is what I recommended to my brother. He has a nearly identical Xterra to my own, but OME didn't make a kit when I built mine. I would lean to a comprehensive kit like this one: http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58951&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Note that you can select what weight springs you want based on your load. You can also call Nisstec and get their opinion. One thing I would absolutely do is buy the cam bolt kit if your vehicle doesn't already have those. It makes doing the alignment much easier. I know my 2006 did not come from the factory with a front camber adjustment, I had to add that.

In my experience, the lifted shackles alone will only prolong the problem and the light duty springs will eventually flatten out or go "W" shaped. Add-a-leaf springs are another bandaid that will last a couple years. I would go for a full spring replacement, it is more expensive, but buying band-aids is just flushing your money. You will end up with new springs anyway, might as well not buy half-measures and just do it right the first time.
Thanks, this helps a lot. I came across some info on OME in my research, but I don't actually know anyone locally that has had any personal experience with their products. In fact, I'm the only Xterra owner of all my friends and family. Everyone local to me seems to be rocking Jeeps and Toyota's these days. I'll definitely consider the Nisstec OME kit for my rig... hopefully I can find a good shop locally to do the install.

Thanks again for the tips! :)

Reactions: BCBrian

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I agree there is some partial truth to your statement as I will not defend the use of spacers not everyone has the same budget. For $150 it did solve a few problems. Shackles really improved the rear suspension, ride height and on road feel as well. Front spacers are not ideal granted, did require an alignment which was easily done, allowed for the use of 285/75/16 without rubbing or heat mod. The difference off road was quite significant and time will tell if stress caused by the spacers will do premature damage.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I run a set of the OME medium duty rear leafs and they have stopped the bottoming out issue. Once they settled, they give me about 1.50" of lift. I would suggest that you get them with the OME bushing kit and make sure the installer lubricates them per OME's instructions with the correct grease. My springs were installed with different bushings and squeek constantly unless I pressure wash them and lubricate them on a regular basis. Pressure washing and lubricating between the leaves also helps remove some of the noise that is inherent in the OME design. See the video below for an idea of what happens.

If I were to do it over again, I would spend the money for Alcans and since your build plan includes a rear tire carrier I'd suggest that you would achieve better results by spending the money up front and doing it right the 1st time.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
I run a set of the OME medium duty rear leafs and they have stopped the bottoming out issue. Once they settled, they give me about 1.50" of lift. I would suggest that you get them with the OME bushing kit and make sure the installer lubricates them per OME's instructions with the correct grease. My springs were installed with different bushings and squeek constantly unless I pressure wash them and lubricate them on a regular basis. Pressure washing and lubricating between the leaves also helps remove some of the noise that is inherent in the OME design. See the video below for an idea of what happens.

If I were to do it over again, I would spend the money for Alcans and since your build plan includes a rear tire carrier I'd suggest that you would achieve better results by spending the money up front and doing it right the 1st time.
Thanks for your input BCBrian. I'm all about doing it right the first time, that's why I am doing my research, and asking as many questions as I can to others in the community with more experience in the X rig platform. Laying down cash on bandaids, or guessing is not my idea of money well spent. So thanks again for the heads up, and good looking out for your fellow OB community members! :)

Reactions: BCBrian