Question about 270 Awnings - Specificaly Pickup Setups without caps.

• HTML tutorial

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Hello all,

I've been entertaining the idea of an awning for some time now but not quite sure what I want to invest in. I really like the look and coverage of those 270 Degree awnings and a few are in my budget. The only thing holding me back is a very particular question. I have a Roof Rack and a Bed Rack on my '19 Tacoma. My need is for the Roof Rack to have the awning mounted on it for a couple reasons. The main reason is the RTT i have sits on the Bed Rack and I don't want it up front. The other reason is the Roof rack is higher than the bed rack. If I have the Tent mounted, the roof rack and the top of the closed tent actually sit flush. So would it be possible to run a 270 Awning with this setup? IT looks like the back of the awning should sit flush with the back of the vehicle but it's hard to be sure from the pictures I've seen. If you need more info on the build let me know as well.

Thanks and Look forward to the replies!

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Lets see some photos of what you are working around.. The 270 doesn't have to be even with the back of the truck but most people flush it out to get the max out of the 270..

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Lets see some photos of what you are working around.. The 270 doesn't have to be even with the back of the truck but most people flush it out to get the max out of the 270..
Certainly. So the tent hangs off the back of the truck about 6 inches from the tailgate. #ShortBedProblems

Attachments

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Certainly. So the tent hangs off the back of the truck about 6 inches from the tailgate. #ShortBedProblems
Looking at the awning I'm interested in though I could potentially run two different configs. Transport Config and Camp Config.

From the looks of it, it appears that the awning has a track mount that if I loosen the hardware i can slide it down and can tighten back down when i get it to the desired location. I may need to create a support over the bed when in camp mode though.

1590160664761.png

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I see your dilemma.. If you mount the 270 at the same height as the RTT you may not be able to walk under it and if you mount it to the top of the truck the back section would hit the RTT.. While sliding it back may be a neat idea I think it will be difficult at best to actually do it.

I like how you mounted the RTT lower so it is even with the roof line of the cab that is a much cleaner look to me and most likely better for MPG.. I think if it was me I would go with a 180 awning and mount it to the cab rack. The amount of coverage I give up for my rig is not that usable for me because it does not cover my cooking area very well.

Check out the Nomadic 180 it is on sale right now for only $599 and they are a very sturdy unit and they have a side wall available too. I have their Nomadic 270 and it works great otherwise for me.

Reactions: Red Mountain

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I see your dilemma.. If you mount the 270 at the same height as the RTT you may not be able to walk under it and if you mount it to the top of the truck the back section would hit the RTT..

I like how you mounted the RTT lower so it is even with the roof line of the cab that is a much cleaner look to me and most likely better for MPG.. I think if it was me I would go with a 180 awning and mount it to the cab rack. The amount of coverage I give up for my rig is not that usable for me because it does not cover my cooking area very well.

Check out the Nomadic 180 it is on sale right now for only $599 and they are a very sturdy unit and they have a side wall available too. I have their Nomadic 270 and it works great otherwise for me.
Yeah I like it this way too. It was actually a happy accident that it ended up so flush. And actually i didn't know about the 180s until just a few minutes ago. I have a lift scheduled for the fall through my Local shop but reached out to them and they pointed me that way too. They specifically pointed me to this which they carry. Peregrine 180 R With Light suppression technology - 23ZERO USA

But I'll take a look at the nomadic as it may be larger.

Reactions: Red Mountain

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Opened up end to end the Nomadic is 20 feet long compared to 14 feet on the Zero. In the stored mode the Nomadic is 88 inches vs 60 long on the Zero. The basic construction of both of them is about the same they are both very sturdy units. I think shipping on the Nomadic is still free too.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Opened up end to end the Nomadic is 20 feet long compared to 14 feet on the Zero. In the stored mode the Nomadic is 88 inches vs 60 long on the Zero. The basic construction of both of them is about the same they are both very sturdy units. I think shipping on the Nomadic is still free too.
Yes I think I will go the nomadic route. I like it overall and the price is hard to beat.

theterkwiththesnerk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Surprise, AZ, USA
First Name
Kaylee
Last Name
Jacobell
Member #

We made a tall bracket that attached to our kbvoodoo rack and existing awning bracket. It looks a little obnoxious, but it works well.

Attachments

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
We made a tall bracket that attached to our kbvoodoo rack and existing awning bracket. It looks a little obnoxious, but it works well.
Hmmm. I was able to snag an Arb awning on the cheap cause supposedly they are being discontinued? I didn’t confirm that that’s just what my local ARB dealer had heard about them. But if I ever update my awning this would be the way. Thanks for the share!