Question about 1st generation Tundra

• HTML tutorial

dshirt

Rank 0

Traveler I

Houston, TX
Member #

I need some help from people more knowledgeable than me. I am considering buying a 1st gen Tundra access cab for Overlanding. My goal is to put a camper shell on it and sleep in back as I usually go out solo and am tired of sleeping on the ground.

Now the dilemma, I have found a 2002 with 120k miles with a 6 inch lift, rock sliders, and 295/70/18 AT tires on custom wheels. Or a 2005 with pristine leather interior and a cap already on it with 160K but basically stock.

I am not sure whether the 6 in lift is overkill considering a lot of miles would occur on interstate. Is it possible to lower the lift.

I believe I can get either for $10-11K. Both are clean southwestern vehicles with no rust issues.

Ideally I would like a lifted vehicle, with winch/bumper, and sliders with a bed camper shell as I anticipate a trip with a group to southwest Colorado this summer and future trips will take me to places I may need the upgrades.

Any Advice?

Squirrel

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Squirrel
Last Name
Venturing
Member #

Really depends on the type of lift they did on the 02. IMO I'd say go with the 05 and build it how you want it. Build it how you want it the first time instead of reworking existing modifications.

I have an 03 with a 5" lift and I'm currently working on fixing some of the issues I feel it has (it works perfect currently, I just want to eliminate as many unnecessary potential failure points as I can).

OB Member #5037

Reactions: jscusmcvet