Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Between working from home right now (which means no 70 mile round trip commute) and staying home on the weekends, I have had time to get some stuff done. Cleaned and went through the trailer contents and did a number of upgrades to the trailer so it will be ready for summer. Cleaned up the tongue area, changed the propane tank mount, reinforced it and converted it to a Max Coupler. When I was changing to the larger tires, I found that I had somehow ripped both rear spring shackle mounts off the frame, so that got repaired and reinforced. Also built a rooftop solar hot water tank with external 12 volt plug to run a water pump. Now we're ready to go, well at least the trailer is.

Before

TR1.JPG

Tongue

TR3.JPGTR4.JPGTR5.JPG

Solar water tank

TR6.JPG

After

TR7.JPG

Attachments

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Looks great!! I like how you mounted the spare. Might have to copy that.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I really need to get myself a small camper.
I love this little trailer. It's called a Backpacker and was a $2800 Craigslist find. It was pretty bare bones with just cabinets inside & in the rear. It now has a sink and water pump. stove and BBQ, folded up queen size memory foam mattress, dual awnings and a roof mounted solar panel.

Adv trailer kitchen.jpg

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

$2800 is a great deal. Good on you.

Just looked them up. Three Feathers Manufacturing. Three models - Backpacker XT2 (offroad intended 24" clearance), The Pig (RTT based rig) and Trailhead (on/off road). Nicely outfitted rigs from Eugene, Or.

Last edited:
Reactions: 472HemiGTX

NJ5

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
NJ
Last Name
Jordan
Just started thinking about trailers.
I wonder if the style with double doors on the back is more functional than the lift-up canopy on the teardrop trailers. I particularly like the drop-down table on the right door.
Is that a swing-out bbq grill on the left door? It'd be great to see more pictures of this trailer!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a teardrop with the hatch. One thing it does do is give a bit of cover for you, assuming the sun or rain is coming straight down. Ha! I’ve down the pop up canopy thing for years and it’s gotten quite tires. A batwing awning would be great, but the hatch...
One of my near future upgrades is going to be an ARB canopy of of the curb side.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Just started thinking about trailers.
I wonder if the style with double doors on the back is more functional than the lift-up canopy on the teardrop trailers. I particularly like the drop-down table on the right door.
Is that a swing-out bbq grill on the left door? It'd be great to see more pictures of this trailer!
[/QUOTE

I originally bought it on a whim because the price was right. But after doing the upgrades, I'm glad I did, it's worked out great and when not in use, you can leave all your gear stored in it. We've pulled this all over Oregon and the majority of places that we go the trailer works great and has been into some fairly rough places. After driving, fishing or hunting all day, that queen size memory foam mattress is a lot nicer than all those years of sleeping in the ground. The total investment to date doing the work myself is under $6000, not under by much, but under.

Here's some pics of the galley, these mods were done when I first got the trailer a couple years ago. i did update the stove mount recently. The stove on the right door is held in place on the bracket with some leftover over dzus body panel fasteners from the desert car. Unlock them, lift the stove off and the bracket can be moved from the upper storage position down for cooking. The bracket is made from commercial shelving brackets and the arms have threaded knobs to lock them into place.

Travel position to clear counter:
KIMG0249.JPGKIMG0258.JPG

Down for cooking:

KIMG0259.JPGKIMG0261.JPG

The BBQ is a small stainless boat style, but big enough to do a couple nice steaks or 4 burgers. It attaches to an arm I built that swings out and locks in place in and out with a detent pin. I made a clamp bracket with a couple brass knobs and a hook to hang utensils. There's a splitter on the propane tank and hoses run to both the stove and BBQ. Next project on the trailer is to plumb the propane from the bottle in front to the back so that I don't have to take it out of the bracket.

KIMG0242.JPGKIMG0244.JPGKIMG0246.JPGKIMG0273.JPG

The BBQ fits under the counter when traveling or not being used. When I installed the sink, I added a 12V switched pump that also has a pressure shut off. For water storage I used three 1.3 gallon water bricks. The pickup can be switched from container to container or if needed a single container can be pulled out and a lid with a spigot screwed on or be filled with water when empty.

KIMG0245.JPGKIMG0266.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: NJ5

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Wow! Great use of your time during this crazy pandemic. I feel so jealous as I've got a few things taken care of but have wasted way more time being depressed over this whole thing. Thanks for showing us your trailer. Makes me want to get my honey do list (my list too!) knocked out so I can get back to working on my trailer and Jeep. Sooo cool! Now your ready to social distance everywhere you go.

NJ5

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
NJ
Last Name
Jordan
Thank you for the in-depth photos!
I really like the height adjustability of the shelving brackets. I just gave my neighbor all that I took off my garage walls (but they weren't stainless...)
I also really like the swing out grill. Compact and functional.
At least one of the ideas will make it into a future build.

Reactions: 472HemiGTX