Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I have been in the 12V Mobile Electronics industry since 1995. Held positions from being an Installer, Sales, Shop Manager to a Corporate 12V Tech for a Big Box store. My passion has always been in the install bay, working on vehicles and turning wrenches. I have trained so many individuals over the years on proper aftermarket wiring and troubleshooting skills I care to admit. There are basic principles to follow when properly wiring a vehicle to add aftermarket accessories. I'm going to use an install I done recently on a 2019 Honda Talon Side by Side. It came in bare stock and the customer gave me free creative ability to do what I wanted to outfit his UTV. I'm going to focus on just the LED lighting system. You can carry the same thought process over to any vehicle because the same principles carry over.

The first point is to establish what you want to install. For this install we knew the need for a roof mounted LED bar was out of the question because the previous Light Bar was ripped completely off running a trail in West Virginia. Mainly due to poor placement and a shady install with cheap brackets. So, we needing to figure out an application to get a lightbar below the roof line with a much beefier bracket setup. We had to use a couple different UTV brackets and modify them because at the time there weren't any brackets made for the 2019 Talon.

20190926_120025.jpg

Next the idea was to have front side downward facing rock lights and two other Pods facing towards the front.
20190920_135426.jpg

Rear lighting we wanted one main LED pod facing backwards and two up high on the rear fenders shining down as rear rock lights.

20190920_135534.jpg
20190925_131212.jpg

Multicolored LED whips were also installed to provide a visual safety aspect when out on the trails so others would know your presence to avoid crashes.

20190926_120132.jpg

Once the final decision is made on what to install you have to think placement. Also mentally keep in mind how you want something to look but you also must realize that sometimes placement isn't always going to happen bc of obstructions in the way. Whether in be exterior or interior obstructions, there's always an issue on obstructions you can't see. With that being said the rule of thumb is "Look twice, Drill Once". Always check what's underneath where you want to mount something, be sure you have clearance and depth. Along with being sure you're not gonna tap into a wiring harness, fuel line or anything for that matter. When in doubt and can't clearly see, get an inspection mirror or a scope to check the area. If all is clear and you are ready to mount, be sure you can get a washer and a nut on before you drill. Another thing you don't wanna run into is picking a spot, drilling the hole to mount your LED light and figure out then you can't get your hand or fingers up in there to get a nut started or tighten down. You don't want a hole just because.

Step 3: Since you have decided what LED lights you are gonna use and have them properly mounted up in the specific location desired. How are you going to operate them? In this case, like most Overlanding Rigs we do, we chose an 8 gang electronic control panel. It's not SwitchPros or SPods, but this version served the purpose on what we needed to do. I decided to mount the control panel right above the Retrofitted JL Audio Media Master I had to "make" fit.

20190925_131137.jpg

Same process and decision making on mounting your controls. Be sure you have depth and access to behind the panel as you did with the light mounting. Also be sure you aren't gonna drill into anything you don't wanna end up buying or replacing at your expense. This particular electronic control panel also came with an integrated fuse panel that needed to get mounted somewhere that would be easy to get to in case a fuse ever had to be replaced. This unit came with (2) 30 amps, (2) 20 Amps, (2) 10 Amps and (2) 5 Amp fuse locations. I decided to keep this up as high as I could away from the elements, so under the under it went.

20190926_115506.jpg
20190926_115003.jpg

This fused power distribution is intended to be mounted on a metal base and acting as the ground. The spot I chose was plastic so a secondary ground had to be ran and attached to the frame to ground the fuse block. On The Honda Talon the battery is behind the drivers seat accessible up high in front of the right rear tire. An 8 awg power wire was used to get power to the fuse panel. Always fuse the power wire within 12" of the connection at the battery. Depending on your application you need to figure out exactly how much amperage draw to determine fuse size. We used a 40 Amp AGU Glass style fuse and fuse holder since the fuse is located in an enclosed battery box away from the elements or water and mud.

Always route your new wiring with the factory wiring. It makes a clean and seamless install. You will have to remove panels, carpet etc to do so, but you will rest easy knowing that you can perform a professional installation instead of a hack job! Whenever you have wiring exposed to out side elements, use wire loom to protect the wire and also be sure the wire you run doesn't obstruct or come close to moveable parts, isolated from heat sources and away from sharp or direct contact from metal. Over time the wire loom or outta insulation can wear off causing issues. Such as dead shorts, blown fuses and sometimes fire. Always be careful, especially running wires thru firewalls. Use proper grommets, plastic or rubber and properly seal with silicone to restrict water from entering the cab.

When making connections we use solder, tape and heat shrink when exposed to weather. Some use butt connectors, but we feel solder and tape is the best application and connection for long term durability. Once you make all your connections at your lights start running them all, together if possible to your fuse panel. Following the OEM wiring, wire loom where needed and zip ties. You can never use enough zip ties! I usually space mine out about the width of my fist. Wire labeling is always a plus and cuts down on install time when you get to the fuse block. If for some reason a label came off or forgot to label one. You can always use a 12V battery to determine what light is what before making the connection.

Now that you have all the lights mounted, control panel mounted and your fuse block ready to be wired up. Be sure you disconnected the negative terminal from the battery before you start to make connections so nothing shorts out. Once you get all your lights wired up it's time to test. Reconnect the negative battery and turn on your control panel. I wired this setup to only come on when the switch was on, other applications I wired it to be able to power up any time. Now, feeling confident you installed everything correctly, time to fire it up and check!

20190926_120849.jpg

Good Luck and if I can ever be of any help, please feel free to reach out.

Here are some other pictures of this completed UTV install I done.
20190920_151400.jpg
20190920_150946.jpg
20190926_120044.jpg
20191106_124230.jpg
20191106_131132.jpg
78952302_3205211516215554_4345715542942810112_n.jpg
20191010_151340.jpg
20191012_091147.jpg
20190926_120356.jpg
20191012_091234.jpg

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Great info. What about a camper shell? I just put a shell on my Tundra and I'm wondering the best way to get power from a battery inside the shell to the top where I can mount some flood lights operated from a switch just inside the rear opening. Looks like I'll have to drill and install a bulkhead connector of some sort. I initially thought about removing one of the track mounting screws and pushing a wire up thru the hole and siliconing it, but that might be a bit half-assed. ...Figured you might have some helpful ideas. Thanks

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Great info. What about a camper shell? I just put a shell on my Tundra and I'm wondering the best way to get power from a battery inside the shell to the top where I can mount some flood lights operated from a switch just inside the rear opening. Looks like I'll have to drill and install a bulkhead connector of some sort. I initially thought about removing one of the track mounting screws and pushing a wire up thru the hole and siliconing it, but that might be a bit half-assed. ...Figured you might have some helpful ideas. Thanks
I can help you, over 25years in the 12V industry. First question is do you have a rack on top of your camper shell? Where do you want the lights? Do you have a third brake light in the shell?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I could PM you, but this might be good info for someone else doing the same thing. I have the Yakima tracks and rails with a cargo basket and I'm looking at mounting the lights to the basket on the sides. LED lights with surface mount hardware. Yes, there is a brake light already wired coming in thru a hole on the inside of the bed. I made a battery box and have a 35ah AGM battery inside the shell for supplying power to interior lights and a 12vdc pump for a shower. All that I can wire inside, but I really hate drilling into the shell unless I am going to do a pro job. I thought about a bulkhead connector that will seal water tight, but not sure where it should go or if there is a better option.
I lso thought about getting a smaller battery, like a motorcyle battery and just putting it on the rack in a battery box and just having that all exterior on its own circuit with a remote controlled relay I saw on Amazon for about $20. Not sure if thats practical, but it would eliminate drilling a hole.

IMG_4229.JPG

Last edited:

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I could PM you, but this might be good info for someone else doing the same thing. I have the Yakima tracks and rails with a cargo basket and I'm looking at mounting the lights to the basket on the sides. LED lights with surface mount hardware. Yes, there is a brake light already wired coming in thru a hole on the inside of the bed. I made a battery box and have a 35ah AGM battery inside the shell for supplying power to interior lights and a 12vdc pump for a shower. All that I can wire inside, but I really hate drilling into the shell unless I am going to do a pro job. I thought about a bulkhead connector that will seal water tight, but not sure where it should go or if there is a better option.
I lso thought about getting a smaller battery, like a motorcyle battery and just putting it on the rack in a battery box and just having that all exterior on its own circuit with a remote controlled relay I saw on Amazon for about $20. Not sure if thats practical, but it would eliminate drilling a hole.

View attachment 139525
You can purchase water proof glands like these on Amazon. They make a clean install and properly sealed will never leak.

If your just dead set on not drilling then you can run the wires from where your switch control inside will be mounted. Pop a small hole or use an existing hole in the bed, run the wires along with the factory wiring through the frame and then bring them up in between the cab and bed. That's not the most ideal installation but If you came into my shop and you absolutely insisted that you didn't wanna drill in the shell that's what I would suggest. The cleanest way would be to follow the wires up that feed power to your third brake light. Don't cringe put pop a hole in your shell close to where your third brake light is so you can ziptie the wires running up to the lights. Install the waterproof gland, seal the hole with silicone and VIOLA! Your wires are up on top of he roof now, it's a clean install and no worries of leaking or looking like Bubba down the road done it!

The secondary battery up top is impractical for a couple of reasons, keeping it charged, having to take it down to recharge and taking up space. I think over time that would get on your nerves. What I explained above would be my recommendation to you if you came to my shop. I would guarantee you 100% that it would look good and no worries on leaking. Here is an install I done on a Tacoma a couple of weeks ago.
82580595_10157726662289351_7667714481148919808_n.jpg
83300173_10157726662154351_3798710543938748416_n.jpg

I just popped a small hole below the rack tubes and ran it straight in then silicone the hole with black silicone. That's the way the customer wanted it done and it worked out.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
You can purchase water proof glands like these on Amazon. They make a clean install and properly sealed will never leak.

If your just dead set on not drilling then you can run the wires from where your switch control inside will be mounted. Pop a small hole or use an existing hole in the bed, run the wires along with the factory wiring through the frame and then bring them up in between the cab and bed. That's not the most ideal installation but If you came into my shop and you absolutely insisted that you didn't wanna drill in the shell that's what I would suggest. The cleanest way would be to follow the wires up that feed power to your third brake light. Don't cringe put pop a hole in your shell close to where your third brake light is so you can ziptie the wires running up to the lights. Install the waterproof gland, seal the hole with silicone and VIOLA! Your wires are up on top of he roof now, it's a clean install and no worries of leaking or looking like Bubba down the road done it!

The secondary battery up top is impractical for a couple of reasons, keeping it charged, having to take it down to recharge and taking up space. I think over time that would get on your nerves. What I explained above would be my recommendation to you if you came to my shop. I would guarantee you 100% that it would look good and no worries on leaking. Here is an install I done on a Tacoma a couple of weeks ago.
View attachment 139541
View attachment 139542

I just popped a small hole below the rack tubes and ran it straight in then silicone the hole with black silicone. That's the way the customer wanted it done and it worked out.
Thanks for the info. I like the gland idea and its a 90 degree mount...I was worried about using a straight bulkhead and then having it stick up and have to make a sharp bend whereas this will have a nice low profile. Works for me! Appreciate the help!

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Thanks for the info. I like the gland idea and its a 90 degree mount...I was worried about using a straight bulkhead and then having it stick up and have to make a sharp bend whereas this will have a nice low profile. Works for me! Appreciate the help!
You're welcome and good luck!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I decided to go with bulkhead fittings for my RR Lights...I wanted something that wouldn’t be obtrusive when I remove my rack.
WF28 high Voltage Power Cable 7pin led Connector, Current 25A Voltage 500V Aviation Bulkhead Connector Plug Socket(7 pin)

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
@Granite Ridge Overland I've seen some installs with the solar glands and they look messy with the sealant applied around it.
I have several lights on my Tacoma roof rack and currently have the wires tucked in along both side of the windshield; I don't like it since one sometime the wires pop out while driving, the other I think the gap is suppose to allow for A-pillar and windshield flexing.

This summer I'm thinking of drilling holes on the cab roof and run my wires into the cab, then to the switchpro in the engine bay.
40"Led Light Bar, 4x Scene LED lights, 2x Chase lights.

Do you have any feedback on the Blue Sea or Seaview wire glands?
Blue Sea Systems CableClam
SEAVIEW Cable Gland
Seaview Waterproof Aluminum Cable Gland

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Granite Ridge Overland I've seen some installs with the solar glands and they look messy with the sealant applied around it.
I have several lights on my Tacoma roof rack and currently have the wires tucked in along both side of the windshield; I don't like it since one sometime the wires pop out while driving, the other I think the gap is suppose to allow for A-pillar and windshield flexing.

This summer I'm thinking of drilling holes on the cab roof and run my wires into the cab, then to the switchpro in the engine bay.
40"Led Light Bar, 4x Scene LED lights, 2x Chase lights.

Do you have any feedback on the Blue Sea or Seaview wire glands?
Blue Sea Systems CableClam
SEAVIEW Cable Gland
Seaview Waterproof Aluminum Cable Gland
I have youse the Blue Sea Systems CableClams on my boat to pass the transduce wiring through the transom. They worked without flaw. However in an automotive application I prefer bulkhead connectors like WEIPU WS28TQ+Z 7Pin Waterproof Connector, 25A Aviation Bulkhead Connector Plug 662657155832 | eBay
thes kind of connectors allow easy removal of accessories without leaving a hole in your roof to fill.

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
I have youse the Blue Sea Systems CableClams on my boat to pass the transduce wiring through the transom. They worked without flaw. However in an automotive application I prefer bulkhead connectors like WEIPU WS28TQ+Z 7Pin Waterproof Connector, 25A Aviation Bulkhead Connector Plug 662657155832 | eBay
thes kind of connectors allow easy removal of accessories without leaving a hole in your roof to fill.
Thanks for the bulkhead connector link I will look into that. Where would I run the bulkhead of wires .. would I still run them down the windshield? Or is a hole still required on the roof for the bulkhead connector?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the bulkhead connector link I will look into that. Where would I run the bulkhead of wires .. would I still run them down the windshield? Or is a hole still required on the roof for the bulkhead connector?
Hole is still required in the roof. Wires would run under the headliner. I should be getting my connector in next week, where I will do a write up of how I am installing it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
:grinning:
The link you posted includes both plug and socket?
Yes both halves... you can get them in 2 pin through 25 pin configurations. Just search waterproof 25 amp x-pin bulkhead connectors where x=the number wires you want to run.