louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've been looking at doing the same. I can't justify $120 to hold a bottle I bought for $39.
Exactly. I just bought an 11# Manchester tank and I'm mounting it in my rooftop basket and all I did was buy 2 j-bolts for $1.20 ea and get a piece of flatbar about 10" long and drill two holes and I have a very good mount. I have it sitting on a step ladder, but you can see how easy it is to use j-bolts with the holes on the base. The modified fire extinguisher bracket is brilliant, but this tank is short and fatter and this is a very secure and CHEAP mount.

IMG_4243.JPG

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Exactly. I just bought an 11# Manchester tank and I'm mounting it in my rooftop basket and all I did was buy 2 j-bolts for $1.20 ea and get a piece of flatbar about 10" long and drill two holes and I have a very good mount. I have it sitting on a step ladder, but you can see how easy it is to use j-bolts with the holes on the base. The modified fire extinguisher bracket is brilliant, but this tank is short and fatter and this is a very secure and CHEAP mount.

View attachment 140006
KISS.....KISS.....KISS you cant beat KISS

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Picked this up last month, Flameking 5 lb cylinder 40 bucks Amazon, Powertank , bracket, directly from them, which was the expensive part, north of $125. I had to modify the clamp, (the t-bolt wasn't quite long enough) for my liking and I added the black cloth strap because the cylinder still moved more than I liked. I mounted the whole thing to my roof rack using 2 inch stainless exhaust clamps from a local parts store. So in total over $170 invested. It will take time to make it worth it, but it holds the equivalent of 5 disposable tanks and costs as much to fill as purchasing a single disposable. In the long run it will be worth it, I can run a buddy heater and a small cook stove for a weekend, no problem.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I bought a 5lb propane cylinder, and modified a fire extinguisher holder to make it work as a mount (the mount is larger than a 10lb CO2 cylinder mount). I cut the top off the mount, and drilled out the spot welds on the straps and inside attachment pieces and remounted these pieces back to the bottom part with 1/4" bolts. And then bolted it to the side of my trailer. Seems like the fire extinguisher mount was $50-something. I put a small piece of padding on the base of the mount for the cylinder to rest on. You can adjust the tension on the strap to make it nice and snug.
Nice job, looks good too. You might want to put some rubber bumpers over the nuts to keep the tank from rubbing on them.

I used one of those mounts for the nitrogen bottle in the back of my Willys. My local gas supplier had an "old, rusty" one out back and just gave it to me, a half hours work and it looked like new.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Thanks. I checked clearances - nothing rubs. But if it looks close I'll put some vacuum caps over them.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Trillium23

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Stevens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WGU
Second the Worthington 299494 6-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder with Power Tank Bracket. On the JK I use 5 lb. steel with the Adventure Trailer bracket which is mounted through back of the fiberglass top.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Nice job, looks good too. You might want to put some rubber bumpers over the nuts to keep the tank from rubbing on them.

I used one of those mounts for the nitrogen bottle in the back of my Willys. My local gas supplier had an "old, rusty" one out back and just gave it to me, a half hours work and it looked like new.
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there's plenty of clearance between the tank and the nuts & bolts.

Reactions: 64Trvlr