Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
With the abundance of propane appliances for camping (stove, buddy heater, lantern, grills, tembo tusk, bug zappers, etc), does anyone have any tips/tricks for distributing fuel around a campsite? Is there an easy way to hook everything up, or do you carry multiple bottles?

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I use a 5# Worthington tank. It's used for our main camp stove and occasionally the propane campfire. Just cooking with it lasts probably close to 2 weeks but the propane campfire can burn thru fuel like nobody's business (4hrs). In that case, I usually bring along a 1# tank as backup. Both use a long hose so I don't need to move the tank around much at all.

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Currently I have a bunch of 1# accessories. They are convenient but you do have to change them a lot. Eventually I'd like to switch to a larger tank but to be honest I haven't thought through the logistics of plumbing it! Haha!

Reactions: Captain Josh

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I use a 5lb tank with a three outlet post I have two 5 foot hoses and a ten foot. I usually have the stove on one line the lantern on the top post or on a hose if I need to get the lantern higher in the air. The third line is usually only used in the winter for a heater or occassionally a second stove if there are a lot of people with us.

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

We use the smaller grill style propane tank, I can't remember the size, probably a 5lb. Then I use a propane tree to split it up. I got it on Amazon I think.

The tank is a little bulky and heavy, but having plenty of fuel to run the stove/grill/heater is worth it.

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

This all brings up the next question, Where/how do you carry the bigger bottle? It would have to be outside, yet I carry 10 little green bottles inside, might need to rethink that.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I carry two 20 lb bottles with me when I camp. One gets used for my skottle and heater with a 12 foot hose. I just disconnect from the skottle when it's time to use the heater, and one gets used for my propane fire pit. Seems to work ok and I carry a few 1lb bottles as back up if needed. But I have 8 feet of truck bed space so carrying them is not an issue for me.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
We use the smaller grill style propane tank, I can't remember the size, probably a 5lb. Then I use a propane tree to split it up. I got it on Amazon I think.

The tank is a little bulky and heavy, but having plenty of fuel to run the stove/grill/heater is worth it.
I like the idea of this, but I'm planning a couple of longer trips and worry 5lbs won't be enough. Up to a week, with stove, grill, and heater.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I like the idea of this, but I'm planning a couple of longer trips and worry 5lbs won't be enough. Up to a week, with stove, grill, and heater.
You will only get about 20-24 hrs use of a Buddy heater on low with a 5 lb tank. FYI.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
You will only get about 20-24 hrs use of a Buddy heater on low with a 5 lb tank. FYI.
Thanks for the info. Given I'll be using propane for cooking as well, it looks like I'll want a 20lb tank.

I'm not sure the trees really meet my own needs, as I was hoping for something a bit smaller. Anyone know if I could roll my own out of black-pipe? It's heavy, but given I'm overlanding, the weight isn't too big a concern. I'm thinking just a three tees connected with a few nipples, and the appropriate NPT connectors to regular grill hoses.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

I would recommend stopping in at a propane shop.

We run the bbq and coleman stove off a 20lb tank during the camping season.. I had all the tree / adapters / quick connect (made in china) parts in my ebay/amazon cart and it was close to $70 plus shipping.. Walked into the local propane shop and told them what I wanted and the guys in the back had a custom adapted made of brass put together in 20 minutes - best $40 I ever spent.

I have no problems using it and I know it's done right..

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
"The only woman I'm pimping is sweet lady propane! And I'm tricking her out all over this town." -Hank Hill

That's a great idea, @vicali!

NoahGenda

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the road
Member #

I just went round and round on this subject my self. These were kind of my thoughts

Big bottle:
Pros: last longer, cheaper, less waste, refillable
Cons: Storage, whole bunch of flammability, finding refilling stations.
Little bottles:
Pros: Availability, Portability, storable
Cons: Wasteful, Expensive.

I was going to mount it on the rear bumper swingout but ran into some issues; namely the DOT code of it being like 54" off the ground, plus a lot of places dont allow HAZMATS and having a big ol propane bottle strapped to your bumper is just an advertisement. I ended up to where I am going to just keep running the little guys for now.

Reactions: M_cved

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

I just went round and round on this subject my self. These were kind of my thoughts

Big bottle:
Pros: last longer, cheaper, less waste, refillable
Cons: Storage, whole bunch of flammability, finding refilling stations.
Little bottles:
Pros: Availability, Portability, storable
Cons: Wasteful, Expensive.

I was going to mount it on the rear bumper swingout but ran into some issues; namely the DOT code of it being like 54" off the ground, plus a lot of places dont allow HAZMATS and having a big ol propane bottle strapped to your bumper is just an advertisement. I ended up to where I am going to just keep running the little guys for now.
Could you post a link to where you found the off the ground height. I have never saw a camper, propane fueled pickup or even a tractor (not DOT of course) that was this high. Maybe that is for a tank that is over a certain gallon/lbs limit.

NoahGenda

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the road
Member #

I cant find it, I tried. It may have been some heresay but seemed to be sensible to me. Dont want someone getting into a fender bender with me and igniting a LP tank, its why a lot of guys have them mounted really high. The older NFPA code is pretty clear about mounting LP containers to the back of RV's.

NFPA standards, 2005 edition.
Line 5.2.3.4...Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle

Like:

Reactions: gandrimp

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
NFPA standards, 2005 edition.
Line 5.2.3.4...Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle
That must be why they're always mounted to the front. But I kinda like the look of the two smaller cans on the back. Or maybe a skinny can horizontal on the roof?

WillyGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, IN
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

The following information is simply what I've accumulated over the past years. I couldn't give you a source if my life depended on it.

- Never mount propane in the crash zone. Always on the tongue of the trailer or inside your utility trailer.
- Don't make your own fittings or hoses. Ever seen a hydraulic hose blow from some good old boy country engineering? Propane is worse.
- Never have a large bottle of propane in the tent/camper with you especially when something is lit. It's better to burn up a leaky hose than to blow yourself up from a leaky bottle.
- Never refill a bottle including the little ones. You can't inspect the valve and you can't test the tank. This isn't legal any more anyway.

Take it for what it's worth folks. There are some really good comments above.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

NoahGenda

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the road
Member #

That must be why they're always mounted to the front. But I kinda like the look of the two smaller cans on the back. Or maybe a skinny can horizontal on the roof?
Horizontal propane tanks are pretty big money for the tank and would eliminate any cost savings that it brings. A cheaper $200 tank would be about 75 of the little 1 pound guys.

And I agree with WillyGoat, all his comments are great

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Good information regardless if it's a law or not. I've mounted mine on the roof and now mounting it up high on my bumper/carrier but my buddy recently got a 5# tank and the bracket is mounted low on his rear bumper. I'll have to let him know about potential dangers. Sometimes when building a truck, safety can get forgotten about or take a back seat to convenience and efficiency.

Reactions: NoahGenda