Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
After daily driving a couple different jeeps throughout the years i quickly tired of the wheel on Saturday, fix and clean all day Sunday, drive to work on Monday routine so I sold off my last JK and went years without one. Eventually the bug bit again but this time I sought out to find a fairly stock, clean TJ that would be used as a secondary vehicle. As anyone living in the rust belt knows, finding a clean vehicle nearly two decades old is quite the endeavor, taking over a year and dozens of rusty frames and fenders. Finally I came across a promising craigslist ad which would become my next obsession.
IMG_0647.JPG
The day I test drove her
2002 TJ Apex Ed.
3” zone lift
3.73 gears
265/70R17 Toyo AT2s
LineXed tub
Metalcloak front/rear bumper
Infinity sound system

IMG_0973.JPGIMG_0974.JPGIMG_0975.JPGIMG_0976.JPG
Removing all the stickers

IMG_1249.JPG
Cleaning her up

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
At this point I didn’t really have a build plan as I didn’t want to mud or rock crawl with it and I didn’t even know overlanding was a thing so we just started exploring local hiking spots with it.
IMG_1465.JPG
It became an immediate hit with the fam, almost too popular, because we couldn’t all fit! After debating selling for a 4 door, I decided to double down and pick up a trailer instead.
IMG_1422.JPGIMG_1985.JPG
A friend of mines grandfather was selling this Bantam T3C #143 so I picked it up.

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
At some point around this time I discovered the world of overlanding and my plans quickly began to take shape. With a long weekend coming up I made plans to head south to Summersville/New River Gorge WV to do some hiking and kayaking and give the new rig a thorough shakedown. IMG_2042.JPGIMG_2045.JPGIMG_2048.JPG
Ghost town of Thurmond

IMG_2052.JPGIMG_7222.JPGIMG_7232.jpg
Hiking to the new river bridge overlook

IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
Kayaking summersville lake

IMG_2076.JPG
Our cabin for the weekend (I wanted to tent but the prego GF won out)

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
IMG_2079.JPGIMG_2083.JPG
Traversing the original route before the new bridge was built

Overall the trip was fantastic and my overlanding lifestyle was beginning to find its legs. The rig did great minus a few shortcomings I set forth to correct.
1. The AC wasn’t working which meant windows down on the freeway for 5 hours and terrible fuel mileage.
2. The ride quality is less than desirable. I wouldn’t call it jarring but it’s definitely a little harsh and hurts my lower back on long stretches of rough roads
3. The trailers tailgate is bolted shut so getting things in and out with the kayaks on is not possible.
4. Backing the trailer with a short tongue isn’t fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willys_2014

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
I decided that the trailer issues could wait until winter when I had time for a full overhaul so I started with the Jeep. First I had the AC serviced which ended up needing 4 O-rings replaced. I also installed some rancho RS5000Xs in place of the zone shocks.
IMG_2280.JPG
While I was on Amazon I grabbed a Viair 400P portable air compressor.
IMG_2288.JPG
And the Currie Antirock system which I’m in the process of installing.
IMG_2254.JPG
I couldn’t stand the polished rims so I threw some plasti dip on to see how they looked. At some point I may end up reverting back to 15” wheels because of the lack of C rated tires in 17 but these work for now

13ADVXterra

Rank 0

Contributor I

PA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Moores
Nice jeep. I like the idea of seeing all the national parks. how many have you knocked off the list?

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Nice jeep. I like the idea of seeing all the national parks. how many have you knocked off the list?
We’ve done Mammoth cave and Cuyahoga valley so far along with some national rivers and seashores. Plan is to hit Shenandoah on my daughters spring break. I visited Virgin Islands NP years ago but the GF informed me it doesn’t count so we have to go back lol. The goal is to build a rig/camp trailer and hit 3-4 at a time during a weeks vacation in the next couple years.

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
IMG_2358.JPGIMG_2357.JPG
Finally got around to installing my Currie Antirock this morning

IMG_2359.JPG
Testing for clearance before final button up
IMG_2360.JPG
At its softest setting. Not quite full stuff but I’ve got a good 2+ inches of clearance

Last edited:

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Had a free evening yesterday so I ran over to Mohican State Forest for a little hiking with the mutts. No off-roading but it’s a nice scenic drive
IMG_2409.JPG
IMG_2408.JPGIMG_2399.JPG
The kids have been cooped up lately
IMG_2404.JPG
Big Lyons Falls
IMG_2400.JPG
IMG_2406.JPGIMG_2407.JPGIMG_2405.JPG
All wore out

Reactions: WAYAWAY

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Spent Labor Day weekend on the DBBB and poking around Red River Gorge. Ended up completing the entire 100 mile loop over a two day period. Highly recommend to anyone within a days drive!

IMG_2449.JPGIMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2452.JPGIMG_2453.JPGIMG_2455.JPGIMG_2457.JPGIMG_2459.JPGIMG_2462.JPGIMG_2466.JPGIMG_2467.JPG