• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Upper Moreland, PA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rousis
Member #

This is my build thread for my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium 6spd. I ordered the car from the factory on 4/20/18 and took delivery on 6/23/18. I am aiming to build this for moderate overlanding. I know it's not as capable as a Jeep or Truck/SUV but it fits my needs perfectly.

Current Mods:

Protection:
Primitive Racing engine/trans/diff skid plates
Rally Armor flaps

Wheels/Tires:
15x7 Sparco Terra wheels
215/75R15 General Grabber A/T2's

Lighting:
Baja Design Squadron Pro amber wide cornering

Comms:
Uniden CMX760
Firestik FS4 antenna

Recovery gear:
Draw Tite hitch
Wilco Offroad hitchgate solo
X-Bull 10T recovery boards
X-Bull d ring receiver
VooDoo 12k recovery rope
QIQU soft shackles
Superwinch strap dampeners

Planned Mods:

Suspension:

ADF 1.5" lift kit

Body:
Tube frame front bumper with winch mount
Tube frame rear bumper with swing away tire and rotopax carrier
Rock sliders

Lighting:
Auxbeam 42" curved 5D light bar

Cargo/Camping:
Overland Pros Wraptor 2000
Road Shower 4

62923629246292562926629276292862929629306293162932629336293462935629366293762938629396294062941629426294362944

Last edited:

black86

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
in for updates [emoji16][emoji106]

I plan on overlanding as well. one of my first mods was the primative skid plates and rear diff plate. however when I hit a rock, the skid plate isn't mounted to take an impact. the plate is super ridged and bent my radiator support [emoji24] hood sits funny now. but I've got it back to a somewhat acceptable gap [emoji38] also as a manual, it seems the transmission plate is useless. there's so much clearance bc our manual transmission are a lot smaller than the cvt. however, it will aid in keeping things rock free when rallying [emoji16] also, you lose ground clearance. I was anticipating losing some, but an inch in some areas... that's was a bummer to learn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Enthusiast III

Upper Moreland, PA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rousis
Member #

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get it "finished" Just picked up Thule square bars and the 415 foot pack. Going to pick up a safari roof basket on Sunday. I'm hoping by end of August to have the hitchgate or custom rear bumper ad comms in.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Nice start to your build! Hope to run into you on the trails or at a MtnRoo Midatlantic or Northeast meet.

TLK

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, GA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Kekel
Member #

Service Branch
US Coast Guard
Subies are capable of more than people think they are. Subaru has been my family since ‘87.
Wife wouldn’t let me build hers so I bought something for myself or should I say ours
Can’t to see more love it.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I’d have to imagine with your current mods that’s quite a capable “off-road vehicle” with the only real obstacle to performance being ground clearance and wheel travel. Not being very familiar, what kind of drivetrain are those (AWD, 4WD, locking diffs, etc.)?

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I'll be following this build. The 4x4 club I'm a member of has a "novice" ride twice a year. The last novice ride we had a Subaru in the mix, we were impressed, he only one problem. If you're going to disconnect your stabilizer bar, disconnect both sides. I'll try to find pic's and links. I love to see you on one of our club rides. Ron

Reactions: JX T.A.G.

black86

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
I’d have to imagine with your current mods that’s quite a capable “off-road vehicle” with the only real obstacle to performance being ground clearance and wheel travel. Not being very familiar, what kind of drivetrain are those (AWD, 4WD, locking diffs, etc.)?
pretty much, I've followed my friends 80 with a 3"/2.5" lift with 33 a/t [emoji16] it's pretty amazing what these Roo's can do. the manuals have a center viscus coupler that does a 50/50 split 100% of the time. then open diffs at both ends. it uses abs to mimic a limited slip as well as active torque vectoring. I've yet to get stuck... [emoji102]

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

Enthusiast III

Upper Moreland, PA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rousis
Member #

Thanks man. Biggest obstacle is suspension travel. Factory I have 8.7” of ground clearance. AWD sadly open diffs. I’d love locking diffs.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks man. Biggest obstacle is suspension travel. Factory I have 8.7” of ground clearance. AWD sadly open diffs. I’d love locking diffs.
I’d say your biggest obstacle is going to be the 6MT. The CVT with X mode would have taken care of the open diffs to a degree.

black86

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
I’d say your biggest obstacle is going to be the 6MT. The CVT with X mode would have taken care of the open diffs to a degree.
x mode makes the traction control super sensitive. we have the systems, just not "x mode" I'd prefer to have a 50/50 split vs max 60/40 of the cvt system. plus I'm offroading 10% of the time. the other 90% its rewarding to having a manual and getting to and from the off-road area via canyon roads [emoji16]

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
x mode makes the traction control super sensitive. we have the systems, just not "x mode" I'd prefer to have a 50/50 split vs max 60/40 of the cvt system. plus I'm offroading 10% of the time. the other 90% its rewarding to having a manual and getting to and from the off-road area via canyon roads
X mode is nothing like regular traction control and when things get technical I can assure you that split means nothing with open diffs. Don't get me wrong, I love manual vehicles but if you're going to have an honest conversation where ground clearance and wheel travel are discussed in the same sentence as off road capability that clutch linked to a single range transmission focused on MPG is the limiting factor.

I’d rather drive a stick with open diffs than an automatic any day of the week. I could always swap in some 2 way diffs.
Theres a long line of people not holding their breath when it comes to differential options. Don't take my comment the wrong way, I'm just being honest about AT vs MT (without low range) off road.

Reactions: MarcosV1017

black86

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
X mode is nothing like regular traction control and when things get technical I can assure you that split means nothing with open diffs. Don't get me wrong, I love manual vehicles but if you're going to have an honest conversation where ground clearance and wheel travel are discussed in the same sentence as off road capability that clutch linked to a single range transmission focused on MPG is the limiting factor.

Theres a long line of people not holding their breath when it comes to differential options. Don't take my comment the wrong way, I'm just being honest about AT vs MT (without low range) off road.
I'm not trying to belittle x mode. it's pretty amazing for what it is. Ive taken my parents outback off a few times but I've gone through the same parts if not more with my manual Crosstrek. it doesnt turn it into God mode. it's a controlled descent. uphill it has it's issues but downhill it's great but nothing my car hasn't done that felt uncontrolled.

guess its not an honest old fashion conversation because we have road going cars that can go off-road and not vice versa. nor would I want it to be that way. I'm not rock crawling. that's where I know my cars limit. anything but that, I'm willing to try in my a/t tired, skidded and now custom front bumper (for approach angle) equipped Crosstrek that still gets 28mpg on the highway [emoji23]

Reactions: Low594

Enthusiast III

Upper Moreland, PA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rousis
Member #

Don’t get me wrong as I said I know it’s not as capable as a Jeep/truck without low range or lockers. But it’s a fun, reliable, fuel efficient car and can do pretty well off road(except serious mudding or rock crawling).

Reactions: black86