Primitive Camping around Ouray, CO for FJ Summit in July

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Im thinking about heading out to FJ Summit in Ouray, CO on July 16-17 and staying until the 22nd. Looking for some primitive camping out on the trails around the area. Any local knowledge and/or help would be appreciated. The rest of the internet doesn't seem to be too helpful. Thanks in Advance.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I've not done any dispersed camping on our trips to Ouray, but I'll try and pinpoint some locations that I have seen other doing it at while on the trails. A couple of questions. What general area would you like to stay within and how high up are you okay with?

One near Animas Forks (37.929002, -107.567653)

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

A few around Yankee Boy Basin...

37.989242, -107.779025

3 or 4 in this area as well.
37.988434, -107.773566

There are actually quite a few if you follow the road back towards Ouray from that last spot I posted.

Governor's Basin...
37.974804, -107.765259

Sidney Basin
37.968107, -107.762584

That last one is pretty remote. We go there for lunch and wildflower viewing and only see about 2-3 vehicles over a couple of hours. Kind of a rough trail as well once you start dropping down into the basin. In fact, my sig pic was taken just before dropping into the basin.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

DSCN2125 (768x1024).jpg DSCN2124 (768x1024).jpg DSCN2123 (768x1024).jpg I have a pocket guide that shows all the areas along the Alpine Loop that has Dispersed Camping I'll take a picture of the cover and maybe you can order it on Amazon or something I picked it up in Silverton several years ago with plans for my trip in August of this year. This is just an example page. But I think it cost me about $5 and would help you figure out were to look.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I've not done any dispersed camping on our trips to Ouray, but I'll try and pinpoint some locations that I have seen other doing it at while on the trails. A couple of questions. What general area would you like to stay within and how high up are you okay with?

Thank you very much. Just need to stay pretty close to Ouray since that is where the Summit I’ll be based out of. I don’t mind the altitude at all. I’m a good view kinda hungry so whatever spot has the best view is the omen I would Most be interested in. Want to take in as much as I can while im there.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

View attachment 50664 View attachment 50663 View attachment 50662 I have a pocket guide that shows all the areas along the Alpine Loop that has Dispersed Camping I'll take a picture of the cover and maybe you can order it on Amazon or something I picked it up in Silverton several years ago with plans for my trip in August of this year. This is just an example page. But I think it cost me about $5 and would help you figure out were to look.
AWESOME! Thank u. I’ll get that coming!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

A couple of years ago we did our trip to Ouray during the FJ Summit. It is pretty cool down there. (I was kind of glad we were basically down there for the touristy thing). You will have the time of your life. I am planning my weekend trip for August 3rd-6th I really want to complete the Alpine Loop and maybe do Black Bear. We might have about 8 rigs for this trip. Camping and wheeling hoot hoot!

Richie G

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I’ve heard of good primitive and dispersed camping off of Last Dollar Rd between Telluride and Ouray. I’ve been on that road and there’s some beautiful scenery along that route.

Btw the wife and I will be in Ouray Aug 2-5. This will be our 4th year in a row out there. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
There really isn't anything close. If you pay for the summit and plan on doing the trails runs anything dispersed is far away. Like 30-45 minutes. Not something I like to do. Worst case the state park to the north is very nice. It is a 30 min drive as well though.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

There really isn't anything close. If you pay for the summit and plan on doing the trails runs anything dispersed is far away. Like 30-45 minutes. Not something I like to do. Worst case the state park to the north is very nice. It is a 30 min drive as well though.
So is there anywhere close to stay that is primitive? Trying to keep with tradition and also keep the cost down. Im a city employee and already looking at $1000 plus just for fuel. @ArkansasTerry just wanted to tag you here so that you can keep an eye on this thread also.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I called the Forestry service and they told me that we can camp anywhere in the National Forest. But the problem is with the maps I have looked at it doesn't look like there are any roads that go into the National Forest anywhere close to Ouray. I have found one post that states you can go up on Red Mountain Pass and then to Black Bear Pass and find a lot of spots, but I haven't been able to locate those two roads yet to see where they are on the map.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Never mind. Just found it. Black Bear pass is apparently so small its just a line on the map with no notation of what road it is. But thank you Google I found it. Says its only 13 miles from Ouray. I can do that.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So is there anywhere close to stay that is primitive? Trying to keep with tradition and also keep the cost down. Im a city employee and already looking at $1000 plus just for fuel. @ArkansasTerry just wanted to tag you here so that you can keep an eye on this thread also.
IMHO no. Someone mentioned Last Dollar and while there are a few areas there which are nice it is not close. That is on the other side of Ridgeway and a 45 min drive to the Summit. Up to you. With trail runs that generally leave early in the morning I find it to be a pain in the bleep to have to get up extra early to make the drive into town. The state park would be your cheapest paid option, http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Ridgway/Pages/MapsDirections.aspx

Black Bear isn't that close either. Remember these are winding mountain roads with lots of traffic and lower speed limits. 13 miles take while.

I am all for free, dispersed camping. It just isn't readily available near Ouray. Others can provide a different opinion. All are free! :)

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
A few around Yankee Boy Basin...

37.989242, -107.779025

3 or 4 in this area as well.
37.988434, -107.773566

There are actually quite a few if you follow the road back towards Ouray from that last spot I posted.

Governor's Basin...
37.974804, -107.765259

Sidney Basin
37.968107, -107.762584

That last one is pretty remote. We go there for lunch and wildflower viewing and only see about 2-3 vehicles over a couple of hours. Kind of a rough trail as well once you start dropping down into the basin. In fact, my sig pic was taken just before dropping into the basin.
These are amazing! Thanks for sharing. I have an off road camper about 15 ft long. And limitations that would prevent us from getting to these sites?

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Thank you. Just want to be as close to town as possible. It doesn't really have to be too remote. Like the others said, the days are gonna be long enough...don't really want to add an hour trip each way to get to camp before and afterwards.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

If quick access to town is our major concern, you should probably be looking at sites along Why 550 to the south (Google Maps in Sat view will show them). Any of the stuff on the trails would probably put you at least an hour out. There is not much in the way of dispersed camping lower down on the trails, its all established stuff like Angle Creek and Camp Bird.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

If quick access to town is our major concern, you should probably be looking at sites along Why 550 to the south (Google Maps in Sat view will show them). Any of the stuff on the trails would probably put you at least an hour out. There is not much in the way of dispersed camping lower down on the trails, its all established stuff like Angle Creek and Camp Bird.
Ok. Thanks. I would love to have something way out in the bush and away from everyone but the logistics would most likely be a nightmare.