Preferred way to cook?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

avgjoe624

Rank V

Contributor I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

hey there, So traditionally, when camping I almost exclusively use the fire and the cast irons to cook up some grub.

How do you cook? Fire, Stove, or other means? Pros and cons?

SandlapperOverland

Rank I

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

Second on the skottle. I just can’t justify it.

My wife knows how much they are because she was going to buy me one for Christmas so it’s not like I can just pull the, “check out my skottle. It only cost $60” line.

7mmremmag

Rank III

Advocate II

Youngsville, PA, USA
Member #

Over the fire. A lot of times I will sous vide something at home then freeze it in the vacuum bag and finish it on the fire/grill wherever I am. Ribs/pulled pork butts are great this way.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Over an open fire with a swing-away grate.
Adverse weather and we cook with a camp stove and have something different.
If it's a primarily meat supper (steak, dogs, etc) it's on the fire... pasta, etc is on the camp stove.
We are typically out for a number of days and have a varied menu.

Reactions: HOT-ROD

Codebeagle

Rank II

Member II

Kearns, UT, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

12” Lodge Dutch Oven. I do almost everything with it and use a Camp Chef Explorer, Briquettes, or open fire.

OtherOrb

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE7QIF
25-year-old Two-burner Coleman with propane. We've stopped doing wood fires altogether since our forests are always ready to burn down.

Laud

Rank VI

Influencer II

Southeast Arlington TX
Member #

Ham Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Throw stones at me later, when we sit together...camp fires ignite migraines for me. Two burner propane stove with old cast iron is the Go-To. If I allow time in the day, small Weber charcoal grill for hunk-o-meat.