Prado (J15) + Roof Rack + HardShell RTT + Shadow Awn?

• HTML tutorial

rooftentoverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Munich, Germany
Member #

Hi everybody!

>>Short version: How do I mount a HardTop RTT and a 270° Awning to the same rack on a Prado? <<

Long version:
We are looking into getting a roofack for our rig, as I want to mount a few bits and extras (lights, shadow awn, jerry cans, shovel, table) to the car.

We have a 2016 LC Prado 150 (J15) and a Maggiolina Columbus Variant M RTT.
Now I would like to add a Frontrunner rack underneath that, but my calculations tell me that this will basically block everything else from mounting to the sides of the roof rack.

I have created two graphics to illustrate.
RTT is 210cm (sorry, metric) long, rack is 194 long.
RTT is 145 wide, rack is 125 wide. The green bits are potential jerry cans.

prado_rr_01.jpg

By itself that is a manageable problem, but the Shadow Awn needs a mounting bracket that sticks out and is quite high, so the RTT does not fit centered.

alu-cab-halterung-front-runner-dachtraeger-003.jpg

Now my thought was to shift the RTT slightly to the side.

prado_rr_02.jpg

But would that work?
Would that not make the entire situation unstable, especially under speed? (we drive 80 mph with this in Germany) And it might also look a bit weird...

Frontrunner said they do not recommend or accept liablity for mounting a larger rack (i.e. the one from a LR Defender). Also would be more unstable (mounting points quite far from the ends) and be quite wind-noisy.

prado_rr_03.jpg

Any ideas, suggestions and other options are very welcome. Any solutions you guys have found to that?

Thanks,
Thomas

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hi Thomas, on my J150 I’m running a James Baroud Extreme 196x140 RTT on Alu-Cab 145 crossbars mounted on UpRacks KDJ150 feet. (I previously had the UpRacks 2.1 x 1.40 rack so I kept the feet) I have a howling moon 2.1 safari awning on Alu-Cab awning mounts. The tent is almost center. Because the RTT takes all the roof, there is only the storage well on the RTT for additional kit. I’m still within the 80 kg dachlast.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: rooftentoverland

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Heres a pic with the RTT and awning.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Thomas, in the end, I could not find a suitable solution to fit a rack with tent, having space on the rack left over for storage, and staying within the weight limits of the roof, and not having too much overhang of the rack over the car or tent over the rack. Hope this helps. Rick

rooftentoverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Munich, Germany
Member #

Thomas, in the end, I could not find a suitable solution to fit a rack with tent, having space on the rack left over for storage, and staying within the weight limits of the roof, and not having too much overhang of the rack over the car or tent over the rack. Hope this helps. Rick

Yes it seems like additional storage is out of the question. Will have to talk to the Frontrunner guys in Bad Kissingen next week. Thanks for your help.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I’ll be there on Thursday if you want to take a look at my setup.