Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Wanting to add a power inverter to the rear of my Subaru Outback as was curious if this can be done off the main battery or do I need to purchase a separate battery for this option? I'm thinking a 1000 watt pure sine would be more than enough for my needs. Thanks!

Kevtd

Rank 0

Contributor II

It can be done with the stock battery in the Subaru but you then have to worry about draining the battery.
I would be sure to.
Fuse something like this close to the battery.
Put it on a switch if it does not have its own (will draw power even with nothing plugged in).
Possibly put in a low voltage cut off to help prevent you getting stranded.

Reactions: bumpo83

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

It can be done with the stock battery in the Subaru but you then have to worry about draining the battery.
I would be sure to.
Fuse something like this close to the battery.
Put it on a switch if it does not have its own (will draw power even with nothing plugged in).
Possibly put in a low voltage cut off to help prevent you getting stranded.
I plan on upgrading my battery from the sub standard Subaru to a group 34 size and had planned on running a 100amp breaker before entering into a fuse block. I had also planned on running a switch to the inverter but a low voltage cutoff is something I hadn't thought of!! Thanks for the advice! When I get my Wilco spare tire carrier, I am thinking of adding a spare battery to the back where the current spare tire resides but thats a little ways down the road!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I installed a 1200W inverter under the drivers seat that I pulled out of our overland van when I replaced it with a 2KW pure sine wave years ago. Used a Blue Seas Systems fuse post on the battery. The inverter fit perfectly and Subaru even has a ground stud under the seat floorboard with a precut carpet flap over it so I didnt even have to cut the carpet and drill for a ground. Gotta love the subie engineers! Ran 4 ga. thru the firewall at a blank firewall plug right beside the power steering assy. then under the console to the seat area. I also installed DC ports beside the inverter, 2 USB and 3 cigarette style. Ran the output AC to the rear left corner of the rear cargo area where the stock DC accy plug is along with a DC sub buss off the 4 ga at the inverter so I have the switched subaru outlet and a high current outlet unswitched directly from the battery. The copper color in the pix of the battery terminal is CRC 2-26 which waterproofs electrics. Great product, highly recommend. The other line coming off the 2nd batt post and thru the firewall is a direct line to my 2M and CB radios. When I run the inverter I keep the engine running since it is only a one battery system. 3293C8A8-8FDE-4979-8BFE-E96F3A2058F7.jpegB584E22E-0347-425B-AAD9-38AB1DA9B3C0.jpeg03E588D3-A58D-48AA-943B-9DB10F0EBBB0.jpegCF51B698-5DBD-4FD4-9CE2-D91E21BD44B6.jpeg3EE40AF7-A7BA-4090-B830-19A9020FB00C.jpeg

Last edited:

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

I installed a 1200W inverter under the drivers seat . I had an extra one that I pulled out of our overland van when I replaced it with a 2KW pure sine wave years ago. Used a Blue Seas Systems fuse post on the battery. The inverter fit perfectly and Subaru even has a ground stud under the seat floorboard with a precut carpet flap over it so I didnt even have to cut the carpet and drill for a ground. Gotta love the subie engineers! Ran 4 ga. thru the firewall at a blank firewall plug right beside the power steering assy. then under the console to the seat area. I also installed DC ports beside the inverter, 2 USB and 3 cigarette style. Ran the output AC to the rear left corner of the rear cargo area where the stock DC accy plug is along with a DC sub buss off the 4 ga at the inverter so I have the switched subaru outlet and a high current outlet unswitched directly from the battery. The copper color in the pix of the battery terminal is CRC 2-26 which waterproofs electrics. Great product, highly recommend. The other line coming off the 2nd batt post and thru the firewall is a direct line to my 2M and CB radios. When I run the inverter I keep the engine running since it is only a one battery system. View attachment 93510View attachment 93511View attachment 93512View attachment 93513View attachment 93514
And this is what I love so much about the Overlanding community!!! Thank you so much for the great ideas!!!! My brain has spent all weekend mapping out wiring solutions in my head haha!

Reactions: Flipper