Power distribution block / fuse relay panel

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

I want to get my OB ready for future mods and think the next thing I want to tackle is some sort of under hood WATERPROOF or WATER RESISTANT marine grade power distribution block / fuse relay panel.

Right now car is mostly stock with one set of Baja Designs ditch lights on my hood. However, eventually I hope to have 2 ditch lights, at least 2 driving lights, 2 BD fog lamps, plus a light bar on roof or in grille and assorted lights on roof rack. Also, I have comms I want to hard wire and would like an inverter so started thinking of power distribution. No room for a 2nd battery and not really sure something I need. So, I was thinking a 12 circuit like the one below and running some 2 or 4 gauge either with a fuse from battery but what do you guys suggest as the best marine grade distribution/ fuse relay blocks?

Anyone do this and have pictures of the install?

Corbet

Rank VI

Advocate I

Durango, CO
Member #

I’ve got a Blue Sea unit similar to the one you posted but with the old school glass fuses. Simply because that one fit my mounting location way better. It powers my interior accessory needs like HAM radio, fridge, and additional 12v outlets etc...

I want to get a Switch Pros system for my exterior lights. Right now I run my BajaDesigns LP9’s on one of their Wiring harnesses which is good quality just not very elegant. It’s more suited for a race truck.

Last edited:

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

I’ve got a Blue Sea unit similar to the one you posted but with the old school glass fuses. Simply because that one fit my mounting location way better. It powers my interior accessory needs like HAM radio, fridge, and additional 12v outlets etc...

I want to get a Switch Pros system for my exterior lights. Right now I run my BajaDesigns LP9’s on one of their Wiring harnesses which is good quality just not very elegant. It’s more suited for a race truck.

Thanks.

I would love a SwitchPro or SPod but I just can't justify the expense especially when i have so much other stuff I need to do still.

Prerunner1982

US Southwest Region Member Rep

Traveler I

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I run the 6 circuit Blue Sea distribution block. Right now it is running 3 ham radios but hope to eventually add a fridge and will be adding some lighting to it as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wheelspulling

1Louder

Rank VI

Advocate I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Can't go wrong with Bluesea. I have one mounted by my brake pedal. I think we ran 4 gauge wire but can't remember. Everything I have that is Non-Toyota is on that fuseblock. I also have a cutoff switch under the hood to kill power to all accessories if need be.

13270569103_d996082895_b.jpg

13270751804_96d9e5859a_b.jpg

Corbet

Rank VI

Advocate I

Durango, CO
Member #

Thanks.

I would love a SwitchPro or SPod but I just can't justify the expense especially when i have so much other stuff I need to do still.
I know that feeling, why I don't have one yet. But now the Wits' End made a ashtray mounting ket for it and the 80 Series its a must have

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I am going to pick up a Blue Seas System 12 circuit can someone explain the difference between these 3 versions?
I "think" the one I need is the 12-Circ Split w/Cover & Neg?

BSS.JPG

Also, I guess I need one of these as well in how many amps?

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0EBF
5026 and 5031
- Essentially the same thing. 5031 doesn't have a cover.
- One common power wire (feed) for the fuses
- One ground wire for running ground back to fuse block vs. just using a chassis ground.

5029 and 5034
- Essentially the same thing. 5034 doesn't have a cover.
- One common power wire (feed) for the fuses
- No ground block. Not really needed in a vehicle since you can typically ground your accessories to the chassis near the accessory.

- Essentially the same thing as 5026
- Two common power wire (feed) for the fuses. You could have 6 of the fuses be constantly 'hot' and have the 6 other fuses on 'switched' or accessory power with the use of a relay.

The circuit breaker will need to be sized for the total # of amps your system will pull and on the length and size of the power (feed) wire to the fuse block.

DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Any benefits to having the split circuit? As I understand that will allow for items I want permanently powered on vs items that turn on and off with the cars ignition.