Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rogers, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Swanepoel
Member #

Picked up the bed cage from Brute Force Fab a little over a week ago, and cannot say enough good things about the build quality. It does not come powder coated so now I am deciding what to do to protect this part of my build. To powder coat or to rhino line? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have looked up several places to powder coat the cage in the San Marcos and San Diego area but haven’t made a decision yet.

What experience do you all have with powder coating or rhino lining? Is there something similar and just as durable that may be a bit more cost effective?

Attachments

Reactions: Russell Peters

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

If you want a smooth finish go powder coating. A good powder coat job will last forever and will fill in the detail on the rack nicer.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

You could take a look at Raptor liner/undercoating. It's durable enough that several heavy construction type companies, forestry and mining/quarry companies as well some State and Federal work crews are now using it.

I've had my Land Rover undercoated with it as well the floor of the rear tub.

It isn't as expensive as Rhino and Linex. There is a texture to it but a shop that is familiar with it, and uses it, should have the application nozzle that can get it pretty smooth. It can also be applied with a brush or roller. I haven't seen this done personally, but there are vids online that show how to apply it that way.

There is another product I know of that is smooth and looks like paint. It's supposedly good as well and typically used on heavy duty truck beds as well as other industry items like catwalks and such. Can't remember the name, but I have literature on it around here somewhere. If I can't find it I can get the name when I swing by my paint supplier tomorrow.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Picked up the bed cage from Brute Force Fab a little over a week ago, and cannot say enough good things about the build quality. It does not come powder coated so now I am deciding what to do to protect this part of my build. To powder coat or to rhino line? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have looked up several places to powder coat the cage in the San Marcos and San Diego area but haven’t made a decision yet.

What experience do you all have with powder coating or rhino lining? Is there something similar and just as durable that may be a bit more cost effective?
I do have to say though.... All my armor, bumpers, sliders, and fenders have all been done with a couple coats of etching primer and Rustoleum Bed Coating and as long as you prep and do it right it will look just as good.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Based on my experience, "nothing" (well almost) is ever finished. I've built things after putting a lot of thought into them only to realize after using them that I want to drill a hole here, weld a tab on there ... or cut something off all together. I like to paint things myself for that reason. Although the finish may not be as tough as bed liner or powder coating, you can end up with a good looking product and be able to touch it up when necessary, either due to modification or general use.

Roelof Swanepoel

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rogers, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Swanepoel
Member #

Hey!

Update!

So I just went ahead and had the rig powder coated. Not a bad investment. The work was solid and it’s guaranteed. If you are in the San Diego north county / San Marcos / Vista / Carlsbad / Oceanside area I would recommend North County Powder Coating in San Marcos. Not an ad just a recommendation based on my interaction with them and the results of their work.

I will be using the spray can rust prevention primer and rhino lining on the accessories that came with the rig.

Ok, step one is done.

Step two, upgrade battery.

Attachments

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Oh! I didn’t realize you lived in Southern California… If you live in California you powder coat everything, then just re-do it whenever you want to change something or get a scratch on it :-)

I lived in San Diego for 10 years.

James