First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF
Hey everyone,

Looking at a 1982 Jeep Grand Cherokee Chief for sale nearby.
Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with an old Cherokee?
It's got an inline-6, manual transmission and 4x4.

My plans are to use it for moderate trail use (nothing insane, but potential rock crawling), camping and overland trips (highway/dirt trails mostly). You think it'll handle the abuse?

It won't be a primary vehicle (though I'll probably drive it every day in the summer :grinning:) so if something major happens, I won't be in a bad situation. I'd hope to eventually convert it to diesel or a reliable gas engine eventually, if the existing engine fails.

Thanks everyone!
Nick

xcoburn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cold Lake, Alberta
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF
Thanks for the input!
Everything I've seen about the inline-6 is good. Unfortunately, the owner of this one is terrible at offering proper pictures...

I have one :

That is literally his picture from the ad... not a screenshot I took lol. I've asked for some more pictures but he has yet to follow through "it's tucked away in the garage... sorry"
My guess is that he doesn't want to sell it :P

So it's really hard to say if it's complete... or even driveable at this point. Paint looks good, just dusty. Seems to have been parked inside for some time, so rust may be minimal (I'd hope).

Your buddy's build seems pretty awesome! I'd love to see it in person. I've seen some cool custom builds, but diesel swapped adventure wagons would take the cake haha

Reactions: zachtyler

xcoburn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cold Lake, Alberta
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF

xcoburn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cold Lake, Alberta
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF
I do the same! Try to find good lighting, all angles, glamour shots and all lol :P

I sure will! I'm heading his way mid-December for the holidays and will be trying to check it out, as well as a few other goodies (Gen 2 diesel Pajero :hearteyes:)

I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks!

Red

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Stafford, VA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Red
Member #

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I like the Cherokee Chief, but I'm not sure about running a rig that old unless you are willing to carry a lot of spares and tools with you. Also, you better be willing to work on it yourself. At 34 years old, just about every part on it will be in need of service. Every plastic or rubber part will be hard and/or brittle, gaskets will be perished, axle seals will be gone soon if they aren't already, wiring insulation, hoses... The list is endless.

If you want a project that will always need attention, then I say go for it. If you want a reliable rig that you can count on to run when you turn the key, I would look for something newer and Japanese.

Reactions: Red

xcoburn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cold Lake, Alberta
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF
@Red Thanks for the tip. I have looked into them but they're either expensive, rotten or non-existent in my neck of the woods. Gotta love Canadian vehicles lol

@TreXTerra Yeah. You've got a good point there.
The guy has mentioned it IS currently a project, so I'm kind of weary of it already.
I'm thinking I'm going to pass on it and hope the diesel Pajero is in good shape!

But I'll be damned if I don't love me a retro Cherokee haha

Thanks for all the input everyone.