Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
@ce4460 WOW Bill, Thank you for sharing such a heart felt and difficult story. You bring the Words that I can't, to describe my appreciation for the support/care/love this community brings to the table. @Michael and @Corrie have essentially provided a gift and a resource for Vets to become healthier and happier as a living part, of something "Larger Than Life" as was my USAF career. The camaraderie in OB is immeasurable.
Thank you all for Being there!!!!

Reactions: B Wild and Corrie

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
@ce4460 /Bill, I am a new member of OB and a Viet Nam combat vet as well. As you know, you are not alone but sometimes it's hard to remember that. I also have to deal with PTSD that I didn't actually know I had a problem with. Back in my war, they didn't know anything about PTSD so we just had to suck it up and carry on. Most of us just thought it was a normal byproduct of living in a combat zone. My PTSD came to a head in 2006 and I finally got into a treatment program at the VA. It doesn't go away, but at least I now know how to deal with it.

I am still building my vehicle but when I finish I hope to meet some of the OB members on excursion trips. I live in the Florida Panhandle so it may be a while before I get out west, but I will get there eventually.

Semper Fi

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
WOW what an Incredible story ive never served so could never imagine what you have been through but something my first fire chef told me that has stuck with me " PTSD is not a sign of weakness but a sign of STRENGTH resulting from doing what others fear to do" much respect mate i wish you all the best with your journey

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Great story, thank you for sharing this and your service. So glad this community is helping you through this. Hope to meet you sometime out on the trail. Take care.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
What a great story and thank you so much for sharing this and your service to this country. Hope to meet you out on the trail sometime. Take care.

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

Thank you for sharing your experience with us all. I do understand how you feel first hand and have some of the same struggles as you expressed. It was great meeting you at the the PNW meet up last weekend. We will have to get out on the trails sometime..

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
@ce4460 I respect your courage. I always thought PTSD only affected soldiers, until I read your story. I was also raised in an abusive environment, and have had to learn some hard lessons about what kind of behavior is and is not acceptable. You have taught me something....Thank You!

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

I dont suffer from ptsd but a very similiar issue. Multiple TBI's. very similiar symptoms different causes. Overlanding and just the fact that its on my mind even when im not out enjoying the adventure keeps my mind off of other things. Thanks for sharing!

John D.

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

porterville, ca
First Name
John
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

Suffering from anxiety myself, (mine isn't military related), I completely understand and thank #1023, William Campbell, for coming forward with his story. Thanks you all so much that help and understand.

Last edited:

Catdog

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Amarillo, TX
Member #

Bill, thanks for your service and thanks for sharing your story. I am a Desert Shield / Desert Storm Vet . I am a new member of Overland Bound and excited to be a part of this

Catdog

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Amarillo, TX
Member #

Bill, thanks for your service and thanks for sharing your story. I am a Desert Shield / Desert Storm Vet. I am a new member of Overland Bound and excited to be a part of this!

Reactions: Fozzy325

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Bill, I’m in a similar situation. I find that being out in the wild with space relaxes me. Believe it or not golf is another relaxing event. I see people get stressed because they can’t hit a ball. I tell them your not a pro so don’t worry.
I’m in a veterans motorcycle club and it’s a way to be around brothers who understand. The next thing I found is overlanding. When you meet up with groups they are always open and willing to shoot the shit, but I find at least we have the overlanding that connects us which means I can talk with them and relate.
Talking to Civies is hard for them and for us and we can discriminate because they don’t understand. But remember there are people like the overland bound community who are here and willing to listen.

Keep strong.

Reactions: PB&Me