• HTML tutorial

Mean Green

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Columbus, North Carolina
Member #

Hey everyone!

My family is planning a trip to Portsmouth Island in the OBX for June! We will be traveling from WNC and will have about a week. It will be myself, my husband, my 2 year old, two dogs, and possibly another couple. I know that traveling with a little one and dogs, we will be making quite a few stops along the way. Does anyone know of some good spots to stretch your legs? I would also like to go to the North to see the horses in Corolla/ Corova at some point (either before or after Portsmouth).

Has anyone been before? What is your experience? Do you have tips (other than bug spray and sunscreen)? What are some favorite meals you might have?... You won't see me fishing haha!

I'm very excited and I'm a planner so all of this planning is making me even more excited!!

TheDarkKnight

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harrisburg, NC
Member #

I've been trying to plan a trip out there. I've done some research and this article helped. Main thing I took away from it was about the ferry that you need to reserve apparently 3-5 months in advance

Rivertripper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kyiv, Ukraine
First Name
Dos
Last Name
Badonya
Member #

As for Portsmouth Island we spent 9 days there last summer at the end if June and came back just before the 4th.
Air down to 15 psi on the ferry ride over and you will have no problem in the sand. We saw a lot of people get stuck at ranger station in the soft sand.
We spent first 2 nights on beach in wind storm and the sand was in everything because there is no where to get out if it.
There is water and toilets and showers at cabin area. You will go through a lot of ice also.
We stayed in cabins also which were not too bad.
The flies can be vicious even with bug spray.
Beware of high tide at north end of Portsmouth Island.
Most of all enjoy having miles of beach to yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Mean Green

J100Roaming

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Pfeiffer
Member #

The horses are cool however they have the right of way to everything. They are wild so they are covered in flys and bugs so from a distance they are pretty amazing as you get closer the bugs they attract can be a pain. They have been known to literally walk through a group of people and look for snacks in bags and your not allowed to interfere or shoe them off it’s their land and your on it seems to be the park policy. Keep anything you want in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Mean Green

Mean Green

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Columbus, North Carolina
Member #

Nice how much was it if you don't mind and how did you go about doing it. I was trying to go before 3-5 months

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Hey! Sorry for the late reply but call Morris Marina Ferry to reserve a spot. Their number is (252)225-4261. They will have you send in a deposit (mine is $50 so I'm guessing the total will be $100) and their address is:
1000 Morris Marina Rd
Atlantic, NC 28511

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

Mean Green

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Columbus, North Carolina
Member #

As for Portsmouth Island we spent 9 days there last summer at the end if June and came back just before the 4th.
Air down to 15 psi on the ferry ride over and you will have no problem in the sand. We saw a lot of people get stuck at ranger station in the soft sand.
We spent first 2 nights on beach in wind storm and the sand was in everything because there is no where to get out if it.
There is water and toilets and showers at cabin area. You will go through a lot of ice also.
We stayed in cabins also which were not too bad.
The flies can be vicious even with bug spray.
Beware of high tide at north end of Portsmouth Island.
Most of all enjoy having miles of beach to yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app
Is north end the best place to see sunrise/sunset?

Mean Green

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Columbus, North Carolina
Member #

The horses are cool however they have the right of way to everything. They are wild so they are covered in flys and bugs so from a distance they are pretty amazing as you get closer the bugs they attract can be a pain. They have been known to literally walk through a group of people and look for snacks in bags and your not allowed to interfere or shoe them off it’s their land and your on it seems to be the park policy. Keep anything you want in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I'm pretty excited to see wild horses. :)

TheDarkKnight

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harrisburg, NC
Member #

I'm going on April 6-8th and we want to drive most of the obx coast and would like to take a ferry from Ocracoke to Portsmouth but I cannot find any info if those ferries transport vehicles like Morris marina. Any info would help

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app

Mean Green

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Columbus, North Carolina
Member #

I'm going on April 6-8th and we want to drive most of the obx coast and would like to take a ferry from Ocracoke to Portsmouth but I cannot find any info if those ferries transport vehicles like Morris marina. Any info would help

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app
The only way I know of is through the morris marina! Keep us updated with info you find :)